News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Leno's trip out after burns.

Started by Clewisiii, November 27, 2022, 07:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

79 Eldorado

Considering what happened he looks fantastic. One doctor described that they needed to add some temporary skin for healing followed by another surgery. He's certainly getting even more attention than he did prior to the event.

Scott

39LaSalleDriver

I've always enjoyed Jay somewhat, and really love his classic/vintage car passion. I think he'd be a lot of fun to sit around and talk cars with, and I hope he makes a full and quick recovery.

But MY GOD!!!!....what an irritating life he must lead to have people with cameras just circling him like sharks all the time...at a gas station no less! And I thought I had it bad on those days when I'm in a hurry to pull in and get out, and every joker in the county decides they've got to stop and make some sort of insipid conversation. Most times I don't mind and I figure it just comes with the territory. Sometimes though, you just don't have time for it. Add someone snapping 5,000 pictures of me in the mix and there's going to be a big problem.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

hornetball

I hope he recovers quickly.  A true car guy and good person!

+1000 on those annoying mosquitoes.

And, my goodness, what a lovely Cadillac.

GregoryAlan

Yeah...

JUST LEAVE THE GUY ALONE!

That's the price of fame.
He seems to be getting very old. Where did I put my rag? Maybe he was distracted. Sometimes I can't find my glasses when they are on my face. Dang bed eyes of mine...

V63

How many times have we lost our cell phone and it's in our hands🤦🏻�♂️✅

79 Eldorado

Quote from: GregoryAlan on November 27, 2022, 01:09:26 PMYeah...

JUST LEAVE THE GUY ALONE!

That's the price of fame.
He seems to be getting very old. Where did I put my rag? Maybe he was distracted. Sometimes I can't find my glasses when they are on my face. Dang bed eyes of mine...
Despite all of the experience he most certainly has in dealing/interacting with random people I got the sense from the video he was a little nervous about the encounter. I suspect that comes from being wary of the situation having just gone through what he did. If you're trying to do something while being distracted, not knowing what someone will ask and while still trying to be polite, I can forgive him for forgetting the rag was on his shoulder.

Scott

scotth3886

Quote from: 39LaSalleDriver on November 27, 2022, 09:54:10 AMI've always enjoyed Jay somewhat, and really love his classic/vintage car passion. I think he'd be a lot of fun to sit around and talk cars with, and I hope he makes a full and quick recovery.

But MY GOD!!!!....what an irritating life he must lead to have people with cameras just circling him like sharks all the time...at a gas station no less! And I thought I had it bad on those days when I'm in a hurry to pull in and get out, and every joker in the county decides they've got to stop and make some sort of insipid conversation. Most times I don't mind and I figure it just comes with the territory. Sometimes though, you just don't have time for it. Add someone snapping 5,000 pictures of me in the mix and there's going to be a big problem.

He was always such a gentleman.  I'd see him most Friday nights at Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake when he'd bring something off the wall down for a bit.  I've even given up my parking place to him as was almost always on one side of the food take out windows.  When he was ready to leave, he was enough of a gentleman to come find me so I could cue up and get my parking place back when he left. 

He really just wanted to be one of the guys and hang out and talk cars, so I'd feel bad for him when someone would come out of the restaurant waving their phone around and wanted Jay to talk to their grandmother in Iowa or equivalent. 

Steve W

He looks great considering what he's been through! I enjoy "Jay leno's Garage" and I've seen him quite a few times at Bob's Big Boy and other classic car places here in So Cal. A real car guy! But in all the times Ive seen him, Ive never seen paparazi swarming over him like that. That's gotta be a drag, but he puts up with it graciously!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

fishnjim

Cadillac Jack 82

57 Cadillac.  I approve.  I've always treated anyone famous or well to do as I'd want to be treated.  Say hi and if they engage you in convo keep it light.  The last thing you want to do is pull out a camera or a pen.  Thats a no-no in my book.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

V63

While I do understand, and sympathize it's mixed.

We choose to drive distinctive automobiles and therefor we 'signed up' for the attention received.

Don't like the attention, drive a Prius!

When you 'sign up' to be a celebrity the consequences of both fame and fortune result.

scotth3886

Quote from: V63 on November 28, 2022, 12:25:30 PMWhile I do understand, and sympathize it's mixed.

We choose to drive distinctive automobiles and therefor we 'signed up' for the attention received.

Don't like the attention, drive a Prius!

When you 'sign up' to be a celebrity the consequences of both fame and fortune result.

I'm certainly an attention whore so I get what I deserve.  One of my criteria for buying an old car is that I never see another one so I'm right there with Jay concerning what I drive ..... It's gotta be weird.   Needless to say, mine are a bit cheaper.

I made the drive from Soviet Monica every Friday night, weather permitting, for a couple of decades so I pretty much earned the parking place that I took provided that I was there before 5:00pm when the drive-thru closed and it became a walk-up food window.  I didn't have the Cadillac yet until I was back here in Ohio so it was one of GM brand "P", usually the 61.  It always got lots of attention, including Jay https://photos.app.goo.gl/SeMNcpBQPGNTXnqj8 .

Although Leno always had a crowd around him at car events, I didn't see paparazzi hounding him or anything.  Regardless, he was always a gentleman, and I never saw him lose his cool at someone. 

Harley Earl

Outstanding to see Jay out and about.  In a '57 Cadillac Coupe, no less.  Glad he is back on the horse.  I had just written to him at the shop a few days before the accident (Used CLC "stationary").  My untimely correspondence was props for what he does for our hobby. 

Jay is an inspirational fellow car person, hope he continues to recover well.  I follow Jay's lead in mentoring folks that show interest in our hobby.  Life is short.  It is never too late to make a new friend.
Hoping for a Standard Trans Cimarron

Previous
1950 Series 61 Sedan - Savoy Gray
1974 Coupe de Ville - Victorian Amber Firemist
1959 Coupe de Ville - Brenton Blue
And 20 "other" Cadillacs from the 40s to the 80s

The Tassie Devil(le)

Time to lock this thread as there is no more need to give Jay Leno any extra free publicity.

At least the initial posting was showing his Cadillac.   But, the latest one was his Tesla, which he couldn't even drive without hitting another vehicle whilst trying to park.

Watching the video highlighted the problem that celebrities have with doing every-day tasks.   He even had to politely tell the cameraman to stop taking photos whilst he was trying to complete the parking.   It was obvious that the constant flashing was affecting his eyesight.

But, what I really didn't like was the constant noise that the camera made every time a picture was taken.   Don't these photographers realise that these Digital Cameras have the capability of being able to have the shutter noise turned off?   It is so annoying.   If one really needs to know what a picture has been captured, put the camera on the lowest noise setting.   Or, do they do it to let everyone know that they have just taken a picture?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon