News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Control arm and torsion bar 1972 Eldorado

Started by Bpeterson, June 19, 2023, 05:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bpeterson

1972 Eldorado.  Putting in new bushings in upper and lower control arms, upper and lower ball joints and new sway bar bushings.  All removed and am putting back together (see picture).  Attaching lower control arm.   I put the control arm back together and put full tension on the torsion bar with torsion bolt fully installed.  The control arm hangs too low to attach sway arm bushings and to attach shock.  It is at a 45 degree angle.  Can I put a hydraulic jack under lower control arm and raise it 2 or 3 inches without damaging it? I did not scribe torsion bar to lower control arm.  There is a horizontal line on control arm end of torsion bar (see picture).  Does that have relevance? Wondering if i needed to rotate control arm up one hex notch to raise lower control arm but i do not think it will clear sway bar. I had the torsion bar end line horizontal when I inserted into control arm.  Seems I cannot rotate the lower control arm up in the torsion bar hex as it will not clear sway bar.  Maybe I just need to raise lower control arm with a hydraulic jack....but will that damage it?  Any suggestions/direction would be helpful. Thanks!

scottsdaleaz

1975 Eldorado
Member Number: 34629

bcroe

There is a pretty stout tool to manage the rear
control arm.  I managed to make one using 3/4 in
threaded rod. 

Often I was able to drop the front suspension lower
arm all the way down after disconnecting the upper
arm, and assemble it without the tool.  Later I
used a jack to lift the lower front arm enough to
re connect the ball joint, then adjust everything. 
Bruce Roe

Bpeterson

Bruce thanks for your reply.  I was able to do all the work without the torsion bar tool since all ball joints, shock and steering arm are disconnected. What I am wondering now is how much I can move the bottom control arm up by putting a jack under it....how much pressure can the torsion bar/control arm take.  As shown in the pictures the control arm needs to be moved 4 inches up to connect the sway bar bushings....seems like a lot of pressure on torsion bar/control arm.  Also as shown in the pictures the torsion bar is hitting the exhaust pipe...guessing that maybe jacking up the control arm may move the torsion bar away from the exhaust pipe but not sure.  Thanks for any suggestions!!

20230621_115147.jpg 
20230621_114347.jpg
20230621_114307.jpg
20230621_115430.jpg

bcroe

1st, REMEMBER this work is potentially dangerous!

I would push up the arm (mine was a 79) with of
course the rear adjusting bolt out to make it
easier.  Connect up the whole suspension.  That
arm takes the whole weight of that corner of the
car, the danger is of something slipping out of
place.  With that done put in the bolt to adjust
the T bar for a level car. 

All the above should be done with both ends of
the sway bar disconnected.  Put together both
ends of the sway bar probably with new parts. 
Gradually tighten both sides up.  Be very
careful.  Bruce Roe

Bpeterson