News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

76 Convertible top work

Started by Taure_76Eldorado, November 07, 2023, 01:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taure_76Eldorado

Hello everyone,

I am slowly bringing the Batmobile back to life. I'm on to the electric now and the first thing is conquering the convertible top. The switch, relay, and motor will be addressed but I'm stuck with the top not closing completely. The passenger side scissor assembly has a broken bolt that doesn't allow it to close up front completely (doesn't fold out enough to attach the levers).  Any ideas on how to close it up manually?

Secondly, I received a shop manual with no electric or vacuum schematic at all in it. Anyone have one handy I could get a picture on? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I will be supplying some photos of the re awakening as well as some cool things I've done to get her ready for the spring season. This forum has been a life saver in the past.

Thank you
1976 Eldorado Convertible
Goddess emblem adorned

TJ Hopland

The top stuff isn't in the regular shop manual, its in the Fisher Body manual which covers all the makes for the year.

I'm not sure which bolt you are talking about.  Most likely it failed as a result of some other issue so simply replacing it won't be all thats required. 

If the top isn't set up right and in good condition the first issue that starts to happen is that middle bow flops the wrong way when its about half way down.  If you don't correct that and keep lowering it things start getting bent and bound up.  The other thing that starts a downward spiral is putting the latches back in after releasing them.  You just get one area out of wack and its only going to get worse.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chris McBride

Don't know if the information you seek is in this article but it does contain a wealth of information.  This is the link to a detailed article from Mr. Derek Sherwood concerning the operation and repair of this era's convertible tops.

http://www.remaker.com/caddy/scissortop.html

Hope this helps. 

Chris

Taure_76Eldorado

Quote from: TJ Hopland on November 07, 2023, 01:56:41 PMThe top stuff isn't in the regular shop manual, its in the Fisher Body manual which covers all the makes for the year.

I'm not sure which bolt you are talking about.  Most likely it failed as a result of some other issue so simply replacing it won't be all thats required. 

If the top isn't set up right and in good condition the first issue that starts to happen is that middle bow flops the wrong way when its about half way down.  If you don't correct that and keep lowering it things start getting bent and bound up.  The other thing that starts a downward spiral is putting the latches back in after releasing them.  You just get one area out of wack and its only going to get worse.

Thank you,
I just picked up the Fisher body manual today.  It's a lifesaver
Goddess emblem adorned

Taure_76Eldorado

Quote from: Chris McBride on November 07, 2023, 07:42:29 PMDon't know if the information you seek is in this article but it does contain a wealth of information.  This is the link to a detailed article from Mr. Derek Sherwood concerning the operation and repair of this era's convertible tops.

http://www.remaker.com/caddy/scissortop.html

Hope this helps. 

Chris

It definitely did help. This link is a great source of good information.
Thank you
Goddess emblem adorned