News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 with Continental kit

Started by bctexas, December 18, 2023, 04:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bctexas

OMG!  There are Continental kits, and then there is this one.  I have never seen anything like this!!  Words fail me.....

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/8201-cha/1959-cadillac-series-62-sedan

Makes the trunk utterly useless.  My wife couldn't reach past the bumper, or over the fins to put groceries in the trunk.  Well, she would lob them in overhand but getting them back out would be a challenge!!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Clewisiii

Pictures for those who hate links.

1959-cadillac-series-62-sedan.jpeg1959-cadillac-series-62-sedan (1).jpeg1959-cadillac-series-62-sedan (2).jpeg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Best of all, someone spent a lot of money to do it.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

bctexas

It occurs to me - just be glad they didn't extend the fins out to the same length as the fender extension!

I can't look at that without laughing - who on earth thought that was a good idea....
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Why create the Continental Kit and still carry the spare in the trunk?

Would love to see the operation of removing the tyre, that is if there is one in the carrier, and filling up the fuel tank.

With mine, the tyre pump and smaller jack parts are in the guts of the wheel, attached to the carrier.

The '59 picture I took at the 2002 GN in Dearborn.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

As many of you know, I am not a really big fan of the 1959 Cadillac. But upon seeing this one, my reaction is, "Why not?" It was beautifully done, in an attractive color. I agree that actual usage of the trunk is questionable, but if you've got to have a '59, (and if you had a garage long enough,) its priced fairly reasonably.

(Of course, the reason for selling might have been the owner's wife saying, "Make a choice, me or the car!")
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Lexi

Well put Barry. It was well done. Looking for a vintage '50s Continental Kit myself if anyone has one. Clay/Lexi

David Greenburg

I refer ones like that "swim decks". Just back it up to the pool and jump in.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Lexi

Lou Commisso Administrator of the former Mid Century Cadillac Forum used to refer to them as "The Porch". Clay/Lexi

59-in-pieces

Lexi,

When I have visited the Modified Forum, from time to time, I have seen several for sale - not cheap, and how they are mounted based on different styles of bumpers.

Those folks love their kits when it is a low rider owner.

I have also seen some for sale, from time to time, on the Facebook Marketplace.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Lexi

Thank you Steve. I will have to look there. Yes, they are pricey, which is to be expected. Clay/Lexi

CadillacTom

Well, I guess someone had to do it, imagine what a driveway scraper it must be!