News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Water pump identification

Started by Cadman-iac, January 14, 2024, 10:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexi

The spacer is mentioned in the Authenticity Manual on page III-1 but unclear as to what pulley they were used on. I only saw them on the squat fatboys, (non-AC). Clay/Lexi

Caddyholic

Quote from: Cadman-iac on January 15, 2024, 06:56:31 PMCaddyholic,
 What style of pump is on your '62? Can you see if it's got the extra passage on the front with the heater return port just below the thermostat on the right side?  Or does yours have the return port just above the lower radiator hose?
 I guess unless someone has a listing of casting numbers and applications, this is just passing in the wind. But it would be nice to know what this stuff is supposed to fit.

Rick

I will look tomorrow.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Cadman-iac

Great, thank you very much,
  Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Lexi

Checked my 1956 MPL and under Group 6.0020 there is a listing titled; "Spacer, Fan Blade", part number 134 6795. This part was only listed for 1956. So I checked my 1957 MPL and found both a listing for a 1956 as well as a 1957 spacer-both bearing different part numbers. So something is different about them. They were intended for non-AC cars the notation further noted, (which has been my finding). I did not look past 1957. But 1955 was conspicuously absent. So this part was not existant for 1955, which would explain why you did not find one on your '55 Caddy. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on January 15, 2024, 08:29:14 PMThe spacer is mentioned in the Authenticity Manual on page III-1 but unclear as to what pulley they were used on. I only saw them on the squat fatboys, (non-AC). Clay/Lexi

Where can I find one of those authentication manuals?
 I just ordered a reprint of the 1956-1961 parts manual, so I'll have it for reference.
 Thanks for all your efforts on this Clay, it's much appreciated.
 My thanks to everyone who has helped to identify these pumps. We got some definite maybe's out of all this, with the understanding that apparently even Cadillac doesn't know what is what, lol!! Waaayyy too many options for something so simple.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on January 15, 2024, 10:51:42 PMChecked my 1956 MPL and under Group 6.0020 there is a listing titled; "Spacer, Fan Blade", part number 134 6795. This part was only listed for 1956. So I checked my 1957 MPL and found both a listing for a 1956 as well as a 1957 spacer-both bearing different part numbers. So something is different about them. They were intended for non-AC cars the notation further noted, (which has been my finding). I did not look past 1957. But 1955 was conspicuously absent. So this part was not existant for 1955, which would explain why you did not find one on your '55 Caddy. Clay/Lexi

As I recall, when I got the 55, the radiator was still mounted in it, but I noticed that it sat farther back from the core support with the use of spacers about an inch and a quarter long. Big thick ones that looked like they could be used for leaf spring bushings, but made of steel with an outer diameter of around 3/4" or so.
I can dig them out and measure one if you want.
But that might explain why there's no listing for a fan spacer on a 55.
 As for the 56 with A/C not needing a spacer, I can see why after looking at that 3-groove pulley. The non-air cars for 56 and 57, probably the distance from the radiator to the engine was a little different between them, thus the two part numbers.
Thanks again,

Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi

It is available through this CLC link Rick. Ad for the Authenticity Manuals looks different and hard to read, but they are there. To the best of my knowledge the latest one which is what I have is the 3rd edition. Clay/Lexi

https://gmclubapparel.com/products/cadillac-and-lasalle-authenticty-manuals?_pos=1&_sid=af615e70f&_ss=r

Lexi

Odd as the MPL doesn't list them. Again, if they are Cadillac parts, then maybe they came with the fan and were not itemized? That might explain why there is not a separate listing for them. You had to buy the fan to get them perhaps. If you think they are OEM I would like to see some pics and measurements. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on January 15, 2024, 11:11:17 PMOdd as the MPL doesn't list them. Again, if they are Cadillac parts, then maybe they came with the fan and were not itemized? That might explain why there is not a separate listing for the. You had to buy the fan to get them perhaps. If you think they are OEM I would to see some pics and measurements. Clay/Lexi

Are you referring to the radiator mounting spacers, of which there are 6, or a fan spacer?
 I'll get pictures tomorrow and post them.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Quote from: Cadman-iac on January 15, 2024, 11:13:33 PMAre you referring to the radiator mounting spacers, of which there are 6, or a fan spacer?

Rick

Sorry. Must be getting tired. Cadillac'n is sometimes tough work. Those are different. Think I got some of those here as well but later ones. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on January 15, 2024, 11:09:09 PMIt is available through this CLC link Rick. Ad for the Authenticity Manuals looks different and hard to read, but they are there. To the best of my knowledge the latest one which is what I have is the 3rd edition. Clay/Lexi

https://gmclubapparel.com/products/cadillac-and-lasalle-authenticty-manuals?_pos=1&_sid=af615e70f&_ss=r

I just ordered one, thanks for the link.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on January 15, 2024, 11:15:31 PMSorry. Must be getting tired. Cadillac'n is sometimes tough work. Those are different. Think I got some of those here as well but later ones. Clay/Lexi

I know what you mean. I've been running around all day today and half the day yesterday trying to compare and remember all the various different details on these pumps. Very confusing!

Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Yes it is confusing and they can also be tough items to photograph. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Let me ask this of you guys, did Cadillac only use dual heaters on the 54-56 models, or were there any prior to these?

I'm just guessing here, but because both the 55 and 56's I've got had the heater hoses coming off the left side of the water pump, the heater return port just above the lower radiator hose connection is used, and the heater supply port is just below the thermostat on the right side and pointing to the right and slightly rearward like pumps 4-6.
 Because they have twin heaters, TEE fittings were used to tie them together. One on the left side near the upper control arm if memory serves, and another on the firewall near the wiper motor.

On cars with only one heater, again this is just a guess, that port above the lower radiator hose connection is not needed, and both heater hoses connect to the pump just below the thermostat like pumps 1-3.

Pump 7, and the one on my 56 parts car (excluding the top ports on the upper water passage), have only one heater port, which is a return port just above the lower radiator hose connection. The supply port for the heater with these pumps must be on the block or one of the heads.
 Which years had a fitting for the heater supply on the block or head and the return hose connects to the lower part of the pump?

What years did both heater hoses go under the intake manifold like what pumps 1-3 would have?

I'm thinking that's the key to figuring this out.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Warren Rauch #4286

I supplied the Self Starter with a guide from a rebuilder on waterpump cores. The tech index in the directory says it was the Nov 2001 issue..  I will try to find the catalog it came from or that issue. It seemed very good.

Warren

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Warren Rauch #4286 on January 16, 2024, 09:22:09 AMI supplied the Self Starter with a guide from a rebuilder on waterpump cores. The tech index in the directory says it was the Nov 2001 issue..  I will try to find the catalog it came from or that issue. It seemed very good.

Warren

That would be fantastic, thank you Warren, I'd really appreciate that.

Rick
CLC# 32373

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: Lexi on January 15, 2024, 03:38:13 PMThat makes sense David. Just not sure if output or return, any idea? What do you think? The MPL seems to say all '56 water pumps came with it. Does your water pump have this fitting? Clay/Lexi

Yes my car has the fitting.  That is on the return line to the pump.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: Lexi on January 15, 2024, 07:06:30 PMYes Rick, that is the unit I was refering to. Yours appears to be a 1956 fan hub for an AC equpped car. Probably was used for more than one year. Right down to the drilled spots for balancing. The light weight non-AC pulley did use a spacer between the shaft and the inside of the pulley, (so not visible). Believe it was aluminum and sort of cross shaped. So if anyone goes to install one without that, you would have belt lining up issues. As I recall my crank case pulley is cast iron as well. Will look for photos. Clay/Lexi

54-56 3 groove pulley was a stamped steel version. 
The 4 groove pulley looks just like the cast one and it came out in '57 w/AC. One year only.
The one shown is 58 to 64 and some special later versions.  I will post some images later with all the data.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

David King (kz78hy)

Here are some photos of my 55 during build.  The pump looks to be a replacement '56 version.  There are images that show the exit and return with the special fittings.  My car is no A/C (not available in '55 convertible) and Eldorado's had the trans cooler standard.  The block is different to as that is where the inlet of the water flow is to it from the trans cooler.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

David King (kz78hy)

Here are some screen shots and images of various master parts lists.  56, 60, & 68 which shows the pulley, pump, and spacer numbers.  One image of my 57 (used on '58 Eldorado Brougham only)
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197