News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Saturday @ 8PM EST "Driving Miss Daisy"

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, February 23, 2024, 10:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi, For once, I looked up what's on tomorrow night so that any of you that want to gaze at the Cadillacs, can watch the movie on TCM.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Carfreak

Just visited the Museum's 1957 Eldo Brougham this afternoon who acted as Dan Akroyd's car in the movie. 

It still looks quite spectacular. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

billyoung

During the course of the movie they switch back and forth during her trip between the 1955 Fleetwood Sixty Special and a 1956 Series 6219 Sedan.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Vince Taliano #13852

Read about the making of Driving Miss Daisy at https://www.clcpotomacregion.org/forms/CLCPR.0910Newsletter.pdf -- pages 13-20.

Story by Terry Bird
Photos by Doug Bailey, Terry Bird, Lewis Schwartz and Stan Tucker
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 4,000 pictures!)

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Sue, even David King's Brougham still looks spectacular! And the stripped one I found in a Northern Indiana junkyard...

The only one I ever saw "on the road" was in Indy on the West bound lanes of I-465 one Sunday afternoon. It was white. (And many, many years ago.)

And I was headed home from a swap meet once on I-74 near the IN/IL border and saw Jack Tallman on the side of the road with the '56 Parade car. He must have just purchased it.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jay Friedman

You'll see my '49 in the first several of scenes where it played the car of the character Boolie, Miss Daisy's son, played by Dan Akroyd. In one scene he drove it with Hoke, played by Morgan Freeman, as a passenger. My wife Elaine and I were invited to watch this scene being filmed.  They put mattresses on the hood and a camera was mounted on top to film through the windshield.  It's only a minute or so on the screen, but took most of an afternoon to film, with the scene re-filmed a number of times.  Morgan Freeman was very friendly and we chatted with him a bit between takes. It was interesting and fun to watch, and the car had its 15 minutes of fame.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster)

I don't know if this is going to get me kicked off the forums  ;) but in the original play the car was an Oldsmobile, probably a 98 is my guess, not having read the book.

Sorry, just had to slip that in as an Oldsmobile owner

Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725

Carfreak

Quote from: sbartelski on February 24, 2024, 06:02:45 PMI don't know if this is going to get me kicked off the forums  ;) but in the original play the car was an Oldsmobile, probably a 98 is my guess, not having read the book.

Sorry, just had to slip that in as an Oldsmobile owner

Stefan

What Olds do you own? 

Asks a OCA 41 year member

Carfreak

Miss Daisy: "My LaSalle never would have acted this way."

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Carfreak on February 24, 2024, 07:33:35 PMWhat Olds do you own? 

Asks a OCA 41 year member

I'd like to know what Olds you own, too.  I'm a member of the National Antique Oldsmobile Club.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Carfreak

At a Winter Board Meeting many years ago in Detroit area, Past CLC Pres Ron VanGelderen reminisced about his orange 442 back in the day. I think he said it was a 1972.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Stefan, don't worry. My wife drove a 1964 Super 88 Holiday four window sedan named "Bluebird," and shortly after that I obtained a 1968 red four door hardtop with a black nylon interior. I also obtained a 1967 Toronado for my daughter for $250 and finally a 1977 Toro for myself. And Lars has a 1966 Toro himself.

I must confess that in the final scene, watching Hoke feed Daisy her pie, I lost it as Ms. Tandy acted just the way Gay does when I have to feed her now and then. She surely did deserve her Oscar.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Schuman

Barry, I also "lost it" while watching the final scene, as Donna, my wonderful companion the past 13 years acts similarly to Jessica Tandy's character. She is in a nursing home with dementia, can feed herself but does need some help.
I recall Jay telling me the 49 Cadillac is his car, and I wonder if Dan Akroyd knew how to drive a manual transmission.
Of special interest to me was the 48 Hudson Commodore, as my dad had an identical 49 except it was green. In the many shots of the Hudson every detail looked right to me. I have never seen such a nice restoration on a similar Hudson.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Jay Friedman on February 24, 2024, 09:59:11 AMYou'll see my '49 in the first several of scenes where it played the car of the character Boolie, Miss Daisy's son, played by Dan Akroyd. In one scene he drove it with Hoke, played by Morgan Freeman, as a passenger. My wife Elaine and I were invited to watch this scene being filmed.  They put mattresses on the hood and a camera was mounted on top to film through the windshield.  It's only a minute or so on the screen, but took most of an afternoon to film, with the scene re-filmed a number of times.  Morgan Freeman was very friendly and we chatted with him a bit between takes. It was interesting and fun to watch, and the car had its 15 minutes of fame.

Great story!

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on February 24, 2024, 10:45:11 PMI must confess that in the final scene, watching Hoke feed Daisy her pie, I lost it as Ms. Tandy acted just the way Gay does when I have to feed her now and then. She surely did deserve her Oscar.

That's a difficult scene for me too Barry. My grandmother was very much a "Miss Daisy" herself who eventually met a similar fate. Tandy's Oscar was well deserved.  The soundtrack received a Grammy nomination which was equally deserved.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Bob Schuman on February 25, 2024, 10:42:13 AM.....I recall Jay telling me the 49 Cadillac is his car, and I wonder if Dan Akroyd knew how to drive a manual transmission.....

Bob, Dan Akroyd certainly knew how to drive a manual transmission, since he didn't have a problem driving mine.  Jay
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984