News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Transmission Selection Lever

Started by Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963, January 26, 2005, 10:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

OK, lying in bed I got fixated on thinking about where I can get replacements for the lucent green handles for the transmission selection lever, or turn lever?

I know I can find ways to replace or repair them, I am most concerned whether or not I can get the correct color and tone of them.  The steering wheel also needs to be restored but is usable.  I believe this is the first year of the plastic wheel, which some dislike intensely, but I do like them.  

Ideas anyone?

Doug Houston

When they were available, Cadillac supplied the plastic part of the shift knob. In my case, it was white, though they may have supplied them in colors. The metal end was transferred to the new piece, and the new knob was pushed on to the lever. The end of the lever has a knurl, and the knob fitted on it tightly. I had my first 56 from 1958 through 1966. I believe that I replaced two of the knobs....maybe more. The tight fit onto the lever caused stresses in the plastic, and it broke after a while. I had even bought a spare knob at that time for when I had to replace another I kept the knob, and Im happy that I did, cause I have another 56 convert., and while the knob on it is o.k., sure as anything, Ill need the replacement!

If you could find a source of whatever plastic they used (it should be possible), you could easily turn a knob on a lathe. Matching color might be a bit difficuilt. If you would do this, Id recommend a hole in the knob to more loosely slip over the knurl in the lever, with plastic cement of some sort to bond it. Matter of fact, if I should use the new knob I have, Id bore out the hole before installing and put a dab of epoxy cement in it. The stresses on the bore in the knob will just break another, and anorther,,,,etc..  

Now, Cadillacs first plastic steering wheel was in 1938, and in general, they disintegrated. The plastic was Tenite I, a Tennessee Eastman plastic. Of course, the later wheels were molded of another plastic, though I dont know which.  Bruce berghoff offers a re-molding service for the wheels, and possobly the one you have; I dont know. Now, for some reason, unbeknownst to me, the wheel in my 38 60 Special is in slightly less than perfect, and is surely the original wheel, as it was on the car when I bought it in 1960. Same goes for the rasdio grille and ash tray cover. Theories, please???

Roger A. Zimmermann # 21015

McVey used to sell the plastic knobs. They are still on his price list; therefore they must be available. They have to be painted the correct color.
Steering wheel: I have a decent light green 56 steering wheel I would sell if you are interested; I would have use as is on my convertible. Unfortunately, it was the wrong color, I needed a white one!
I let recast the original one by J.B. Donaldson. It does costs a fortune: in 1999, I paid $ 475.00 for the job, plus shipping of the original one to the USA and back, of course. (Im living in Switzerland) The results are not bad; it was good at 97percent. I had to remove some plastic for the horn ring; some details are not exactly like the original. The plastic is tinted in the mass, not painted. Therefore, after adjustment and rework, its easy to polish the plastic to have a good finish.