News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Inoperative Level Ride will not affect ride quality. It only means the car cannot level itself automatically. A pair of manual rear air shocks will accomplish the same thing except air must be manually added/released for the desired trim height depending on weight of trunk contents/rear passengers. Level Ride is completely different from Air Suspension.
For Sale - Cars / Re: 71 Eldorado hardtop- Hemmi...
Last post by James Landi - Today at 08:16:12 AM
 Mr. Loving,
I agree with Bill... assuming everything works ( especially vulnerable: climate control, level ride), if one's plan is to use the car and put some serious mileage on it, those two items will likely not make it past 50K miles. Not trying to come off as cynical, but cars of that era did  not have  especially durable luxury options. It does appear to have good leather and a rust free undercarriage, and those  are  real pluses. As you shop, keep asking for advice. Some of these old cars not only break the bank, but more importantly, break your heart.   James
For Sale - Cars / Re: 1973 Big Red Eldorado
Last post by James Landi - Today at 08:01:10 AM
"The seats and door panels are redone in the wrong materials and the seat seams are surface stitched."

Bill, I entirely agree...So much of the pleasure and fabulous appearance of this era Eldorado is, in my judgement, contingent on the condition of the authentic interior soft goods. I had a 72 that a former owner had professionally replaced the interior in vinyl. The replacement interior was very well executed, but it just didn't "make the grade" in my view--- there's nothing like leather... and there's so much of it in this generation Eldorado. Of course, the climate control doesn't work, and likely the level ride doesn't either, so the ride is highly compromised..  23k is a lot to ask for a car that's not close to providing much satisfaction. James
They sure have taken "selling the sizzle" to a high art form. I watched that '77 CdV cross the block in PA for $14,500 last summer. Steering wheel was cracked, had narrow WW tires, needed exhaust, good tune up. Trunk lock cover lost its color insert in the crest. Then sold at Raleigh the following December for $14,750 which is where they bought it. At a  $30K/+ price bump, the car should have been sorted to perfection.
General Discussion / Re: 55 deville clock repair
Last post by Bob Kielar - Today at 07:31:34 AM
Clockworks in Eagle River Wisconsin. They repaired mine on our 1955 Fleetwood and is still running strong. Just a tip put an inline fuse or switch to turn power off to the clock. If your battery runs low it could cause damage to the clock. Clockworks suggests doing this so I did and it's been running for ten years.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
General Discussion / Re: Wanted: CLC Escalade Owner...
Last post by Jason Edge - Today at 07:28:41 AM
Here is an article I wrote about my 2002 that was published in the Sept 2014 Self-Starter. This vehicle was my daily driver for 18 years. It has pulled in over 40 Cadillac parts cars, hauled more lumber than most construction trucks, and has driven me over 165,000 miles all over the country in the world's first Luxury Sports Utility truck. When I first laid eyes on these, I knew this big, brash, powerful, roomy, comfortable, luxurious Cadillac was for me. Having already won a 1st Place Primary with this vehicle, you will see this vehicle proudly on display at the Gettysburg Grand Nationals.  When you all pull up to the Photo Tent to take a picture of your car at the event, look at that tent and consider this Cadillac, my EXT has been hauling it and a lot of other stuff around for our Grand National events. It is not only a cool ride, but very functional. 

Jason Escalade - Sept 2014 Self Starter.jpg

Well, the Escalade is over 22 years old.

Saw my first one in 2002, and couldn't believe it.  Cadillac going to SUV's?

Bruce. >:D
General Discussion / Re: Wanted: CLC Escalade Owner...
Last post by Jason Edge - Today at 07:23:11 AM
QuoteAre we really there? Where there will be an Escalade class to be judged next to the 60s and 70s ?
We really are there! My 2002 Escalade EXT won First Place Primary at the 2022 Grand National in Chicago, and my 2013 Escalade EXT won First Place Touring in 2013. I am as proud of my EXT's as I am any other Cadillac we have owned, and while my 1964 Coupe de Ville is my star, my EXT's have been the most versatile, practical, functional vehicles I have ever owned. 
Escalades and EXT took their styling cues from other GM makes (and probably other non-GM Makes) as that is the essence of vehicle evolution, however Cadillac took those styling cues and turned them into something a step above the rest. The EXT was the first ever true Luxury Sport Utility Truck, and am very proud of mine, and I do not understand why other Cadillac owners feel compelled to put down someone else's Cadillac, especially one that has been the flagship for the brand for over 2 decades. I try to find something positive in everyone's Cadillac & LaSalle... but guess that is just me.

IMG_2151- 2000 cropped.jpg
For Sale - Cars / Re: 1973 Big Red Eldorado
Last post by billyoung - Today at 05:56:56 AM
The seats and door panels are redone in the wrong materials and the seat seams are surface stitched.
For Sale - Cars / Re: 71 Eldorado hardtop- Hemmi...
Last post by billyoung - Today at 05:53:36 AM
Welcome. This is a beautiful well preserved Cadillac, that said even in these insane times I would be surprised if this car actually changes hands higher than the teens.