News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

6 Volt Headlight part 2

Started by Steve Rinaldo, January 07, 2019, 09:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rinaldo

I have been unable to find any 6 volt led headlight bulb for my 1937-60 due to the odd base they use. All I find is bulb numbers 2330 and 2530 are the most common used. Which one of these in your experience are the brightest? If any o you run across any 6 volt, + ground led bulbs let me know.
Thanks, Steve

Classic

Steve, the 2330 and 2530 are called pre-focus bulbs.  The mounting flange allows them to be installed only so that the filaments are in the correct location, i.e. the filaments are at the correct focal length for the reflector and lens.  It would be very difficult to make an LED that meets these criteria.  And cost prohibitive for the small market for these type of bulbs.

The 2330 has 32 watt filaments for both low and high beams.  The 2530 has a 32 watt low beam filament and a 50 watt high beam filament and is probably the better choice.

The other possibility is a sealed beam conversion kit that was popular back in the 1940's.  They still occasionally show up for sale on eBay and are model specific.  A Ford or Dodge kit currently on eBay will not work (or maybe could with significant modifications). Note: The conversion kits advertised online like at Summit Racing are for modern cars only and do NOT include the necessary adapter hardware kit.  The adapter hardware kit is really all you need as you can get a 6V sealed beam type bulbs online or at most auto parts stores (including Halogen and LED.)  A conversion kit (if you are lucky enough to find one) will be visually obvious so if you are concerned about originally, it would not be a good choice.

Gene
Gene Menne
CLC #474

camelot

I had my reflectors rechromed (sprayed)and called Hirsch for the quartz conversion bulbs. It made a big difference for me. The bulbs arent cheap but the sealed beam conversion would have been really involved with my buckets and wiring.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w