News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Route 66 Road trip, next Spring Need a travel buddy. Rent a new Cadillac

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, July 23, 2022, 05:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
 I'd like to do a trip from  Chicago to LA on I 40 but get off at every Route 66 exit & more. I would be starting & finishing my trip from  San Jose, Ca.
I'm an older guy, retired. Wife can't go. Questions??  Please contact me directly at bobscads@comcast.net
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

z3skybolt

Bob,

Not a direct response but.....I'd recommend old Route 66 all the way from Palisades Park to Chicago's Lakefront.  You can drive many,many, miles on the actual old route.  It is incredible across Arizona, parts of southern California, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Kansas. Lots of the old pavement in Missouri and Illinois too. Often old 66 is parallel to the new highways.  Also the route takes you through many of the downtown areas like Oklahoma City.  My wife and I did it in 2007. Top down in our little BMW Z-3.  Took two weeks of slow, scenic, travel and stayed in old historic Motels along the way. Many neat old museums along the way. Talked to elderly residents who recalled the old days before the new highways opened up. Route 66 in east central Missouri passes about 40 miles south of our home.  You could stay a night with us if you come by this way.

The towns along the way are fading fast.  Hurry before it disappears.

Bob Ritchie

Good Luck,

Bob Ritchie
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bob,

Before you start up on your journey, try to find out where and when any of the roads will be closed.

Bronwyn and I toured in 2002 including attending the Dearbourn GN, and as we went, tried to travel on as many of the Route 66 parts that we could find whilst driving through 29 States.   Lots of detours to travel the old road, until coming across this sign in New Mexico.

Not sure how much of the Route 66 it covered, but definitely made a point that not all parts could be travelled.   There was nobody there to stop us, but the sign made it quite clear that the area was out of bounds for tourists.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Gigglynn

Wow, exploring the iconic Route 66 from Chicago to LA and beyond sounds like a dream trip. It's a shame your wife didn't join, but I'm sure you had a blast nonetheless. Renting a new Cadillac for the journey adds an extra touch of luxury to the experience. If you're still looking for a travel buddy, I'd recommend reaching out to travel forums or social media groups dedicated to road trips. You might find someone who shares your passion for adventure. If you're still planning your trip, I recently came across a list of rides park that might offer some interesting stops along your route.

Art Director

Bob, you might need an Escalade with the party that will want to go along. I would love to go, too, depending on the time of year. Those deadlines hit me every month except for a month and a half in the fall.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

The Tassie Devil(le)

Alex,

You have an email from the Administrators that requires your attention.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible