News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1968 calipers/hose

Started by Matt 12861, July 10, 2015, 06:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt 12861

I am putting new calipers/brake hose on the front of my 68 Deville,  The calipers came with two(2) copper washers each, the ones I took off only had one.  Should I use two or one between the hose and caliper?
thanks,
Matt Givler
Matt Givler #12861

Scot Minesinger

Probably best to recreate original as close as possible. 

Sometimes those kits are universal and fit other GM that may have included two washers each.  Possibly the washers look alike but may be different.  Generally the hardware from the 60's and 70's is better quality than replacements with heat treating and all that is often an expensive omitted process in the manufacturer of products today (hence high failure rate).  I try to re-use what original fasteners and hardware I can after cleaning them up.  Hard to diagnose this over the internet, but probably would re-use the washers that were on the car originally. 

Looks like a lot of reads but no answers, so thought this might help.  I have not worked on a 1968 Cadillac disk brake system.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadman56

Hello Matt,
Your system will only need one washer.  Make sure the washer is not too large inside diameter for your hose.  Some systems did use two but not yours.  Use only one new washer & keep the other for a spare.  You may need it down the road someday.
I have replaced many calipers of your vintage & will mine this fall when I start my frame-up resto of my 68 convertible.
I would never re-use one of these washers.
Good luck, Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

The Tassie Devil(le)

If the method of attachment is via a through-bolt, then the washers fit on either side of the fitting.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon