News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Series 75 $22,000

Started by Bryan J Moran, November 28, 2023, 11:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

and still not done-
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/308263555366372/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A52d9649e-23ac-4221-ba13-adb997522e97

1951 Cadillac series 75 limousine very clean Arizona car all Chrome has been replaced or redone paint is perfect still needs interior 331 Cadillac automatic drivetrain and suspension is all new cars located in Osceola Wisconsin
CLC 35000 in number only

TonyZappone #2624

I laughed when I looked at the photo, the car has wire wheels.  In the late 70's or early 80's, I put a set of wires on my '56 Derham (the stripped one), and three couples motored off to Toronto from the Rochester, N.Y. area.  On Sunday morning, leaving the parking garage of the hotel, I heard this ringing like noise.  One of the rear wheels had broken a spoke.  Upon returning home, I checked the parts book.  The wire wheels were never offered on the series 75.  I removed them and put the original wheels back on.

Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

James Landi

This one appears to be set at a bargain price ... hard to imagine the interior challenges; however, apparently, a lot (a ton) of money already spent.  Has me wondering why the owner gave up.  Thanks for posting Bryan, James

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on November 29, 2023, 05:53:45 AMI laughed when I looked at the photo, the car has wire wheels.  In the late 70's or early 80's, I put a set of wires on my '56 Derham (the stripped one), and three couples motored off to Toronto from the Rochester, N.Y. area.  On Sunday morning, leaving the parking garage of the hotel, I heard this ringing like noise.  One of the rear wheels had broken a spoke.  Upon returning home, I checked the parts book.  The wire wheels were never offered on the series 75.  I removed them and put the original wheels back on.

Interesting.  There is no doubt the wire wheels made for Cadillacs in the 50's add a nice touch to any 50's Cadillac but the series 75 as you note, is extra heavy and probably even has bigger (wider) rims. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: James Landi on November 29, 2023, 07:47:22 AMThis one appears to be set at a bargain price ... hard to imagine the interior challenges; however, apparently, a lot (a ton) of money already spent.  Has me wondering why the owner gave up.  Thanks for posting Bryan, James

James,
I posted because it seems the seller was doing things correctly (except the wire wheels, as we now know) to recreate a nice 75.  This is almost unheard of in today's high restoration cost environment.  My guess, and it's just a guess, is that there will be NO MORE series 75's restored to a high point level again, for those years from 1950 to 1965ish.  None. 

Few have ever been restored to the classic era level.  I would argue, after seeing a few rough 75's from the fifties at a yard near me, that it would be less costly to restore a 75 from the 30's to 1949.  Probably not by much, but there was so much extra chrome and stainless in the 50's, along with more sophisticated comfort systems, and equally expensive upholstery.  $200,000 plus is not out of the realm for a 1950 to 1958 75 series restoration, all while being worth maybe $30,000 when done, to an ever diminishing collector pool.   

So yes, this fellow is to be commended for what he has done and he should just pluck away at it.  Of course, we have no idea why he is selling. Divorce?  Loss of Job? Family medical issue, we just don't know. 
CLC 35000 in number only

James Landi

So yes, this fellow is to be commended for what he has done and he should just pluck away at it.  Of course, we have no idea why he is selling. Divorce?  Loss of Job? Family medical issue, we just don't know.

Your analysis is spot on Bryan.... hoping a clc member grabs it!!!!