News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Brake Conversion

Started by Tahoelover2002, April 04, 2015, 03:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoelover2002

Hello, I am looking to convert my Cadillac from a single brake line to a dual brake line system while still keeping the drum brakes. I see CaddyDaddy.com has this conversion kit (http://www.caddydaddy.com/1959-1960-cadillac-power-brake-conversion-booster-master-cylinder-reproduction.html) I was wondering if anyone else has done this already, used this conversion kit or possible another one and has any tips for me. I'm sure this is not the only one out there, considering the price...possible a better/cheaper one. If someone could let me know what they used and bought that would be great! Thank you!
James Dodd Jr.

David Greenburg

Yes, there is a cheaper,easy way to do it.  You replace the m/c  and booster assembly with one for a '68 Cad with drum brakes.  It's been discussed here several times, including in the last couple of months, and there's a link to step by step instructions, which I can post later if you can't find it. Rebuilt '68 units were available from Autozone for $150 as of a couple of years ago. You need to slightly enlarge the booster mounting holes in the firewall, but that is the only structural mod needed.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Tahoelover2002

Thanks David! If you could post those link, that would be great. Also I've read that you need to plug up the original distrubution box to the rear when making the conversion. What's the best way to do that? And are there any changes on the vacuum lines with the new booster? And finally if you could post those links, that would be great. Many thanks
James Dodd Jr.

Tahoelover2002

Also, do you need another distribution box for the new rear lines? Or is there already one originaly that can be used?
James Dodd Jr.

David Greenburg

James:

Here is the link on how to do it (click on the '60 Caddy discussion).  http://www.photopaige.com/edscars  Good luck.  The conversion works well and is great for piece of mind, especially if you have ever had a brake pedal go to the floor while driving, as I did a number of years ago in a 1960 Impala.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Tahoelover2002

This is great, thanks! I actually had that pedal problem yesterday, that's why I'm looking to do this asap. Also do you know anything about the distribution box for the breaks in his conversion? Do I need to get another one for the rear?
James Dodd Jr.

David Greenburg

On my '59, we used the existing plumbing going to the rear; the line to the rear goes to one m/c chamber and the line to the front goes to the other.  My '60 has a similar arrangement, although it has a later m/c ('62?) attached to the original booster.  I did not install it, so I don't know the specifics.  But that might be another option if you know your booster is healthy. Otherwise it's cheaper and simpler just to do the '68 conversion.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Coupe Deville

Quote from: Tahoelover2002 on April 05, 2015, 09:45:16 AM
Also do you know anything about the distribution box for the breaks in his conversion? Do I need to get another one for the rear?

No. You don't need a new junction block  for the rear brakes. All you need to do is disconnect the line from the junction block that goes to the rear brakes and plug the hole in the junction block, then get a brake line union and connect the rear brake line to the new brake line running to the m/c. Then connect the original line from the junction block for the front brakes to the m/c and your done.

Here is the thread when I convert a 1959 to the 68' brake unit. A1-Cardone 50-1117 Booster/Master. Been working great for 2 years so far. The thread doesn't start right about the conversion but about 3 pages in it begins.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=125835.0

Best of luck

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Tahoelover2002

Thank you for the link, I am going to read it tonight after work. Since I am doing this conversion, I was planning on replacing all the lines while I'm at it. I saw that some people were using a company called Inline tubing for premolded lines. Is this something I can do if I do this conversion? Has anyone else done it? Or is it better to just get lines from pepboys or autozone and mold them myself? Thanks!
James Dodd Jr.

David Greenburg

If you're experienced bending long runs like that I'd say go for it. Otherwise I'd say the pre-bent lines are money well spent, although you'll still have to bend your own at the m/c
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Arni_78

Quote from: David Greenburg on April 05, 2015, 02:23:58 AMJames:

Here is the link on how to do it (click on the '60 Caddy discussion).  http://www.photopaige.com/edscars  Good luck.  The conversion works well and is great for piece of mind, especially if you have ever had a brake pedal go to the floor while driving, as I did a number of years ago in a 1960 Impala.

Hi,
I'm new in this topic, the link doens't work , I know it's really long time ago.. but maybe somebody can help,   do you have some pictures or somethink how to do it?
Thanks in advance
Arnold

David Greenburg

The gist of it is that you can use a booster/master cyl assembly from a '68 with drum brakes. You will need to slightly enlarge the firewall mounting holes, but otherwise it bolts up. You will, of course have to fabricate WW brake lines to connect to it. The '68 unit is pretty inexpensive; I'm sure it's a whole cheaper than whatever CD is charging.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

bcroe

I put a lot of miles on 60s cars, both with single
and dual master cylinders.  The drums might work
just fine most of the time, but could throw you
off the road if wet.  Based on that experience
I recommend going the rest of the way with a front
disc conversion, save a lot of trouble by leaving
your rear drums.  good luck, Bruce Roe

Arni_78

Hi bcroe,

which disc brake kit did you used on your 60 Caddy?..

Thanks in advance
Arnold

bcroe

Quote from: Arni_78 on March 12, 2024, 04:53:19 PMHi bcroe,

which disc brake kit did you used on your 60 Caddy?..
Arnold

I never converted a car myself, based on experience
I just refuse to drive a front drum brake car.  For
that reason and list of others, I just upgraded to
late 70s cars.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

I like these guys because they sell you the bracket and tell you what to buy for the rest so if you need parts later you can get them anywhere.  Note like most of the kits they don't work with drum era wheels.

https://www.scarebird.com/shop/cad-1957-60-cadillac-front-disc-3029?search=cadillac#attr=
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chicken Coupe

Has anyone had luck using factory wheels with any of these disc brakes? 

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Chicken Coupe on March 14, 2024, 08:58:19 AMHas anyone had luck using factory wheels with any of these disc brakes? 

If you have the reverse center, or reverse dish wheels, then no, they don't work with disc brakes. It's not the centers that are the problem though, it's the outer ring, or rim. That part is not shaped correctly in order to fit over the caliper. If you compare a newer wheel from 1970 on up with your original wheel, you will see the difference between them.
 I was wanting to go with disc brakes on my 56 myself, but I also do not want to have to change hubcaps/wheel covers. I love the original covers. And 56 was the first year that used the reverse dish wheels to accommodate the deep dish covers.
 So I've opted to go with the drums and just upgrade what I can.
 Hope this helps.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

TJ Hopland

There have been some kits for some applications that work with the drum wheels but the ones I have seen cost is much higher because its more custom stuff and there was questions about their performance. They way they make em fit is smaller rotors but smaller rotors are usually intended for smaller cars and smaller calipers.  Even if you decide you didn't care about braking performance a smaller rotor isn't going to have the correct larger bolt pattern.

How do the hubcaps fit in this era?  And how heavy are they?  If they don't fit later rims and are not stupid heavy like some of the 70's ones were it may be possible to make em fit.  I have seen people use the 'beauty rings' that often came with the truck rims as an adapter.  They attached their hubcaps to those rings which fit the truck rims which is often the easiest rims to find. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

rurena3030

Hello. Can someone please let me know what "WW" brake lines are ? I see they need to be fabricated. Are these brake lines to connect to the distribution box ? I think i can handle the master/booster replacement. I just dont want to screw the brake lines up.

rurena3030

61 Cadillac Coupe Deville
Robert Urena
1961 Cadillac Coupe Deville