News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Right rear quarter panel removal

Started by Cltmte, December 02, 2023, 03:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cltmte

Another quick post for a little help.  I am going in to fix what I think is a broken roller on the passenger side rear window of my 1970 Deville convertible.  I have all the screws out of the main quarter panel/trim and full removal of the smaller trim panel.  I have the main quarter panel loose and removed from the "hangers".  My issue is the panel while free on three sides (top, bottom and side towards the trunk) there is still a connection point that is not free. It is attached with another screw or clip not visible and I have not found the answer in the Fisher manual.  The attachment point is in line with the courtesy light in the door frame. I pulled the ashtray for a better view but can't see the actual issue.  Does the courtesy light have to be removed to see the attachment point?

Thanks
Mark

The Tassie Devil(le)

If it is similar to the '71 and '72, then, yes, the light has to be removed to access the last screw.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cltmte

Thanks Bruce. Glad I didn't assume it was a pop off type clip.  Back to the fisher manual to find how to safely remove the light.  Hopefully back on track this afternoon

Mark

The Tassie Devil(le)

Those plastic light covers are very fragile, and need to be treated with caution.

The '72 ones are rectangular and relatively easy to remove with a very thin blade to release the tabs.

I don't have pictures of the '70 to see if they are the same.   Do yours look like mine?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Cltmte

From what I can see, yes it looks like mine.

And yes the lens are very fragile. Like a thin potato chip. Tried prying the lens gently from the side based on pics of lenses. Started cracking. Gently pushed it back in place. Pried from the bottom and it came out easy Peasy.  Now on to the repair. I hope

The Tassie Devil(le)

Mine had clips at both sides, right at the ends, so I made sure that I didn't spring from the middle of the sides, but the ends of the sides.   Should have mentioned that.

From memory, to remove the panel all the way, I had to remove the globe, and carefully release the clips from the holder.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Cltmte

Thanks Bruce.  Yes I looked at the parts on eBay and saw the tabs on the lens.  Mine did not or they broke off previously. It was a snug fit but pried out easily from the bottom.  Then a couple of screws from inside the light. Quarter panel is now off.
Thanks again
Mark