News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2024 USA 235,225,215 / 75 / 15 white wall tire options

Started by TJ Hopland, March 25, 2024, 12:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe G 12138

The Hankook Kinergy replaced the Optimo. The whitewall is only about 3/4-7/8" if you can live with that. I put a set on my '65 last year; no complaints. They have a rather high treadwear rating; but my tires age out not wear out. As far as installation; Tire Rack (online) sells them with the whitewall option. Before buying; I shopped around for installation. National chain "Discount Tire" (now owned by Tire Rack) asked me what tires I was getting. He said "why not buy them here? They were not listed in whitewall. He made some calls; (there was an error) and I was able to buy local with online pricing, not fool with shipping, and have full warranty and free rotations available. And the manufacturing dates (Dot codes) were months not years old. Fresh tires were important to me; they rot before they wear out on my cars.     Joe

chris cunliffe

I dont know if they are widely available in the USA but I fitted Kontio whitepaw radials on my 57 Seville.They are from Finland and in the UK they are around 30% cheaper than Coker and Diamondback tyres. Made a huge difference to the handling and diving comfort compared to the bias belted tyres I removed
1957 Eldorado Seville #967

TJ Hopland

Thanks for the tip on Kontio.  Looks like for USA there appears to be a few tire dealers but all the big online places like Summit and Jegs carry them.  Summit even has several options in stock.  They appear to be mostly into the wide white wall so if that is what you are looking for may be worth investigating. 

For those the prices are in the $250 range.  From what I can tell that is in the ballpark of Cooker but I don't really shop for those.  I would guess it works out in your case because there are higher fees importing from the USA than Finland. Maybe they are better tho?  We don't generally hear good things about some Cooker models when it comes to actually driving. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Caddyholic

I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Joe G 12138

Quote from: chris cunliffe on March 28, 2024, 01:56:05 PMI dont know if they are widely available in the USA but I fitted Kontio whitepaw radials on my 57 Seville.They are from Finland and in the UK they are around 30% cheaper than Coker and Diamondback tyres. Made a huge difference to the handling and diving comfort compared to the bias belted tyres I removed
I am seriously considering the Kontios for my '55. But I have not been able see any "real reviews" or opinions on them. All the canned / planted reviews just say how good they look on their car. What's the opinion on them from those closer to their Finland homeland?
     Thanks Chris! That helped     Joe G

Steve W

Funny I should stumble upon your thread just now!

Earlier today I just ordered my first set of Hankook tires...Kinergy ST H735!
I did a bunch of research, and narrowed it down to either Hankook or Nexen.

I actually prefer the skinnier whitewall 3/4" to 7/8" max. Just my personal preference, but I think they look best on my 68 Coupe deVille.

They both fit my budget (cost about the same, actually), have pretty good reviews, and are readily available in P235 75 R15. I 'almost' went for the Vogues, but I just thought the whitewall was a bit too wide, and after researching, they didn't get any better reviews than either Hankook or Nexen.

So, I called my local perfromance tire shop and spoke to one of the guys who seemed to really know these tires, and he basically said they were both great tires, and in his experience the Hankooks handled a little bit better, especially in the wet, but the Nexens lasted a little bit longer, tread-wise.
(These days, my tires age out before they wear out, so the handling over logevity made sense.)

He also said that the Hankooks' whitewall was closer to 7/8", where the Nexen was just about 3'4".

So I ordered the Hankooks. The'll arrive in a few days and I've already spoken to the shop that does my tires, and they are happy to mount, balance and align when I bring them in.

I'll post back with my impressions later.

Happy Easter!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866