News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The classics stole the show.

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, January 01, 2024, 11:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

Over the holiday weekend I went to the SD international auto show that had hundreds of the latest vehicles on display. They also had an area where it was only classic cars, including a '34 Packard and 1920 Cadillac, a '75 Eldorado, '59 Cadillac CDV, a '55 Fleetwood and few other random cars.

In person these cars are gorgeous ,overwhelmingly stunning, especially next to the modern equivalent. I saw so many people in aw and taking a lot of photos of the many different classic cars at the show vs the new stuff that was on display. I did find some new vehicles pretty nice, but for the most part, they don't capture my interest or imagination like old cars do.

I think it goes back to the over use of plastic materials in them all that seriously turns me off. Real chrome trim inside and out of the classic cars, really gives you a sense high quality look and feel, including durability.

For instance I sat inside both a new Lexus ES350 and a Camry. Both cars share the same platform, drivetrain and close dimensions.

The Lexus did feel and look nicer inside but what got me upset, and this goes for other luxury makes, is why can't any of them use softly padded lower door panels, or padded vinyl in areas that you can't see?

They are all hard plastics, for the
money you'd think the automakers would just add some nice vinyl padding to help avoid those nasty scratches you get on the lower door cards from exiting the car, but no.

They sure were pushing EV's onto the crowd big time, but again, if you don't own a house with a garage and a level 2 charger, they are not feasible to own.

Styling is always subjective, but so many of the new stuff is starting to look like a a cross between a squinting eyed angry man up front and a cyborg, it just doesn't make any sense anymore the way vehicle design is turning out these days.

It was great seeing little kids shocked to see the old cars, how they were pointing them out to their parents, it was nice to see that and gives me hope that as these kids get older, they might be inspired to own one some day.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I think its cool an auto trade show had classics there. Wonder how many average folks never knew these cars could be seen somewhere, could be new 'car show' attendees in the future. 

Cars haven't had 'style' for decades, they're all trying to get 100mpg, they'd use paper machete for body panels if they could.

EVs are still a solution in search of a problem. My last Uber was a brand new Tesla. volts/gas = I get better mileage with The Ark at 9mpg.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

64\/54Cadillacking

All the new stuff that was on display sure looked nice and shiny, but unfortunately most people that were there didn't realize how disposable they are.

Laurie, they're are a few classic car organizations including the SD auto museum that hosted all the classic cars at the show. It is cool seeing some old stuff mixed in with the new stuff. They even had the SD police association that brought out a few of there vintage cop cars that was actually in use at one point in time. Of course they had an 80's Crown Vic, but they also had a 40's something Plymouth cop car, and Dodge cop car from the 50's that were all in great shape for their age and use.

One thing I will say about EV's is how fast off the line they are. The instant torque they provide is scary fast. But on the other hand, they consistently have be plugged in just to go anywhere and some of ranges on these things is seriously laughable. 150-200 miles on one car I saw was ridiculous. It takes 40 mins to charge 80% on a supercharger on this one Nissan, and like 12 hours for a full charge on a level 2 charger at home. Talk about a huge inconvenience.

I wonder how the automakers are able to build unibody's strong enough to be able to handle the massive weight of those batteries, not including passengers and luggage. The body structure has to be massively reinforced.

Yes, cars today especially sedans just don't look right. The body panels have become heavily creased and dented looking. Plus that solidarity of the way the doors, hood and trunk closes has been lost for decades as well. Actually when the traditionally styled American cars went away towards the more aero styled look starting in the 90's, is when things just didn't feel the same.

One example is how solid my '87 Brougham felt in every way from the heavy doors, and hood, compared to the cheaply made modernized 94 Fleetwood Brougham. Great driving and powerful car, but it lost that old school traditional build quality of Cadillacs from the past.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

billyoung

I am 69 and I drive a 2003 Chevy S10 5 speed standard I bought for $2,500.00 about 8 months ago as a work commuter vehicle. My Wife Suzanne now drives a 68,000 mile 1992 Brougham and I am now assembling my 1968 DeVille convertible after a repaint. My intention is we will never buy another car. The idea of buying a new car would be like buying a new toilet. You only replace the old one if you are forced to and then you buy the cheapest one you can as they all look the same. The major difference is a toilet only comes in white like most new cars however there are a few more colors on the cars exterior, As far as interior's go, hope you like black or dark gray.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

59-in-pieces

I don't know, but I fear one good EMP - Electro Magnetic Pulse - and we are all on foot.

Except maybe those who have a classic car.
Oh, but wait.
If the government has its way, there wont be any fossil fuel gas, and we all will be on foot.

Oh I know what you're thinking, I'll go all Jay Leno and drive a steam car.
But wait again, no coal or natural gas for a fire to boil water, back on foot.

Hey my Amish friend, have a horse I can Barrow.

Have fun,
Steve B.

PS
I can still hear my Dad when he bought his 1965 Cad off the "Motorama" floor, after the show.
Dammit to hell, these new plastic cars.
S. Butcher

James Landi

Steve,

Knowing how you have a great sense of irony, I copied this headline about a fact that no one mentions for your viewing pleasure and entertainment as most folks don't traffic in factual information, lol,  James

''U.S. oil production hit a record under Biden. He seldom mentions it.''

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on January 02, 2024, 11:01:57 AM''U.S. oil production hit a record under Biden. He seldom mentions it.''

baby oil or corn oil?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

bcroe

Quote from: Cape Cod FleetwoodI get better mileage with The Ark at 9mpg. 

More concern to me would be if it needs the highest
possible octane gas, as some of my cars did.  Now my
engines are big enough, but are perfectly happy with
crap 87 unleaded.  Did they do a lower compression
engine build?

Mileage is 0 sitting at a light, but the Ark might
be capable of 14 within the speed limit.  The blue
car here is 4/5 the weight of the Ark, just as fast,
gets 19mpg at 70mph (in favorable conditions) on 87. 
Bruce Roe

z3skybolt

The USA has been energy independent for several years.  Unfortunately, it all gets combined into one big world wide pool.  But it does help keep the per barrel price down.  Also nice to know that "push comes to shove".....we can produce more oil than our nation consumes. It is a good thing for the USA no matter who sits in the White House.

Bob R.

1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: z3skybolt on January 02, 2024, 06:04:54 PMThe USA has been energy independent for several years.
Bob R.

???

So, why am I still paying twice as much for gas than I did in the late 'teens and three times
as much for natural gas since then? Basic economics - everything I buy is more expensive because
everything travels by truck and I have to absorb their fuel prices as well.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Hi Laurie,

Adjusted for inflation, the present retail cost per gallon of gas has hardly increased over 50 years.  If you Google the cost of gasoline in 60's at 40 cents a gallon and then Google how much is that 40 cents worth in today's money, you'll see  what I mean.  When I was making $1.00 an hour back in the day, that 40 cent gasoline seemed relatively expensive. I started teaching in 1967, with an annual salary of $5,700 -- adjusted for inflation, that's about $57,000 in today's money... when high test gas was 40 cents a gallon, and you could buy a house for 20k. Fortunately for us Americans, our dollar remains the strongest world currency, so our buying power and increasing wages help us adjust for inflation.  As I've said before, gasoline is a ''rounding error'' in the cost of owning a car-- automobile ownership is the second most expensive possession we own (house is number one). James

z3skybolt

Thanks James,

You provided the truth before I could respond to Laurie.  Folks often forget about inflation when comparing prices from the past. I have a picture of my 1951 Chevy at a gas station, in my hometown, taken in 1964.  It was a Gulf station and the price on the marque is 31.9 cents for regular. Gas in our community is now $2.52 for regular. As my old airline boss loved to say......"do the math"!

We are so spoiled in the nation, so richly blessed.  Where else can one run around in Cadillac and LaSalle getting 9 mpg and think it is all great fun?

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Um, guys? I'm not talking about the price of gas 50-60 years ago compared to today...
I'm talking about the price of gas/energy, 4 years ago compared to today.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

59-in-pieces

I can't believe how 1 post could go off the rails so fast.

The point is, if cars we are faced with buying by a government mandate (NO GAS CARS DRIVEN BY A DATE AND NO GAS CARS ARE MADE BY A DATE) what is out there to drive, they don't have or use gas - nothing but electric with all its vulnerability and toxic battery residues in storage.

Get out of the history books, and put down the phone calculators, we will all become (or our children) our own curators of our own little garage museums of the Standard of the World, gas combustion automobiles.

Have fun while we all can,
Steve B.

PS
I just checked, there are membership openings in the Prius Club.
Not that many members now, but it's likely to grow over time.
You always wanted to get into the next big thing, on the ground floor, well the time is here.
S. Butcher

dochawk

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on January 03, 2024, 12:48:35 PMI just checked, there are membership openings in the Prius Club.

the problem, of course, is that the club is full of Prius owners . . .
 :o
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

James Landi

According to recent data from the U.S. Department of Energy,, we visualize light-duty vehicle registrations in 2022, broken out by fuel type. It shows that out of the 281 million cars registered nationally, electric (EV) and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) vehicles represented only 1.2%.Nov 21, 2023

Yep---- the government is going to take our gasoline powered cars away...  All 281 million of them, and then supply us with long extension cords to power the EV's that most Americans can't afford or are entirely impractical --- I heard that somewhere...   

billyoung

From what I read the Electric Grid in the USA will not support a complete conversion to EV's. Second I am reading that Ford and GM have stopped EV production due to such low demand that they are piling up at dealerships ( no pun intended ). Third it is my understanding that the environmental waste in creating the EV Batteries not withstanding, the cost to equip ones home to charge one and the raised electric bill cost per month, not to mention the acquisition cost which is horrendous in my opinion and  personal economy makes them untenable . Finally I am hearing that the resale value of these EV's is zilch. All this seems to go together that the Government pushed EV phenomenon is a losing proposition that is destined for the scrap heap of history. One Mans Opinion.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: billyoung on January 05, 2024, 08:24:49 AMFrom what I read the Electric Grid in the USA will not support a complete conversion to EV's. Second I am reading that Ford and GM have stopped EV production due to such low demand that they are piling up at dealerships ( no pun intended ). Third it is my understanding that the environmental waste in creating the EV Batteries not withstanding, the cost to equip ones home to charge one and the raised electric bill cost per month, not to mention the acquisition cost which is horrendous in my opinion and  personal economy makes them untenable . Finally I am hearing that the resale value of these EV's is zilch. All this seems to go together that the Government pushed EV phenomenon is a losing proposition that is destined for the scrap heap of history. One Mans Opinion.

So true. I recently saw a video on YouTube of a guy that purchased a used 2018 Infiniti Hybrid and at around 80k miles, he needed a new hybrid battery.

Guess for how much?? About $20k!! He bought the car used for less than that which I find absolutely insane.

There's really nothing like firing up an old Cadillac V8, and knowing how smooth the engines are. EV's might have more power, but there's something about the mechanical sounds and slight vibrations that an engine makes which gives you a sense of satisfaction that an EV can never match.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental