News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Lasalle floor plate

Started by Ben Medlock, November 15, 2023, 12:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Medlock

I'm needing a replacement rubber steering column flor plate for my 1940 Lasalle 5019 restoration project. I have had no luck finding this part but Steele Rubber does make one for a 1940 Cadillac 75 and 90 series. It is a little different than mine but I'm thinking I may be able to use that one and modify it somewhat to work. The important part is the positioning of the holes for the steering column and the shifter column. Has anyone else ran into this and maybe tried my idea? See picture of my old rubber and what Steele Rubber has.

Thanks

Cadillac Jack 82

The repro part you provided doesn't look as if its angled like your original does. 
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Ben Medlock

Its not but I'm thinking it will form to that angle when bolted down. Have not found any other options yet. Hoping someone may have some good advice or another option......

Cadillac Jack 82

Maybe have someone scan your old one and 3d print it?
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Tom Boehm

Hello Ben, Mine is in about the same condition as yours. I just put it back in as is. I did drill two small holes through the floor plate and the rubber under the steering column. I fed a thin piece of wire through the holes and twisted to keep the rubber tight against the metal floor plate and seal better.

The problem with ours is the part that touches the steering column and shifter shaft to make a seal is gone. I wonder if you could take a piece of thin rubber the size of the old part but cut the holes smaller so it stretches over the column/shaft and install both in a sandwich. (maybe inner tube ?)It would be almost invisible and would stop the wind coming through.

Another idea: There are two companies in Canada that replace the rubber on runningboards. I wonder if one of them would make a reproduction? Those pieces aren't very complex.
www.runningboardrubber.com
www.runningboardrubbermats.com

Ben

thanks for the input Tom. I ordered the one from Steele Rubber because I have to know if it could be modified to fit. They said  as long as I not cut it, they would take it back. I'll post about what I learn.

Ben Medlock

Hey Tom. Just in case you have been wandering about this one...... The part I bought from Steele Rubber did not work. The hole sizes were wrong by alot. So, I ended up making a pattern from a piece of cardboard in order to get the hole locations in the right spot and transferred that to a piece of 1/4'' rubber sheet material I bought from McMaster Carr. Made some custom sized hole punches and made my own part. Turned out pretty darn nice for a rookie if you ask me.

Tom Boehm

Thanks for the update. That sounds like a good solution.