News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Door Handle Springs 1937

Started by carlhungness, December 01, 2023, 10:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

Seems as though I've forgotten, mixed up, etc. some of the small springs on my door handles. I Think the small coil springs slide over the shafts on the door handles, but not sure. Car is a '37 LaSalle. The photos show door handle, ignition and trunk. Assistance needed.

RentedDreams

Carl, I have a 37 convertible coupe and plan on trying to remove mine this week in preparation for paint. I plan on taking several pictures of each when I remove them and will post a few for your reference.

Any removal tips?

Ron

carlhungness

I think it is pretty straight-forward..as I recall there is a stubby screw in the side of the door handle that holds it in, but make sure you have a light handy and don't yank on the thing once it's loose. The trunk handle just has a 5/16" nut on it I believe. It has been 3-4 years since I dis-assembled and don't recall what went where.

RentedDreams

Carl, doesn't look like I'm going to be any help in answering your question. I removed my passenger side door handle (the only one with a lock) and there was no spring anywhere to be found

Prior to removing the handle, I put a clean piece of white cardboard down into the bottom of the inner door, just in case something fell, I removed the screw using a highly magnetized screwdriver and had one hand inside the door as I pulled out the handle. Nothing came off inside the door and just the handle came out. No spring.

I haven't removed the ignition switch yet and probably won't until after Christmas. I have to get a key made from either the door handle or ignition switch before I can unlock my trunk and glove box to remove them.

I will keep you updated as I progress. Merry Christmas

carlhungness

I had a man in Cincy make my keys, no longer have his name. My glove box lock worked momentarily and then snapped, so searching for another. My trunk,ignition and right door now work, I haven't reassembled the door handles so will do so in a few weeks and will still wonder where the springs came from. Thanks