News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need help with a 346 rear seal.

Started by 914Driver, December 03, 2023, 09:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

914Driver

Morning all,

Trying to install a rope type seal in my 346 engine.  It's in and looks happy, problem is the rear bearing cap!  It slips over the top of the bearing and has a cork gasket on each side that is twice as thick as the slot it fits in.  Do I mush the cork down into the slot, cut off the thicker material or call in a professional?

The cap is a snug slip fit into the block; I just don't want to have to go through all this again if it leaks.  Please advise or direct me.

Thanks, Dan

harry s

I've had that same problem. The vertical cork strips that come with the gasket sets are way too thick. I ended up getting cork squares that were the right thickness from one of the hobby shops and cutting new strips to fit. Also when installing it is helpful to apply a thin coat of grease to make the main cap slip into place. It is also a good idea to put sealant or rtv in the upper corners and along the top edge of the cap.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

914Driver

Sounds like the plan I should have used.  I squeezed it between two plates and then forced the cap down into the block.  The crank won't roll over now.  >:( 

Shot myself in the foot again .....