News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hood spring confusion.

Started by 914Driver, December 14, 2023, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

914Driver

Morning all,

I recently purchased a 1940 LaSalle Series 52 which had no hood springs.  Yeah, that's a heavy hood. I looked a Hemmings, Bring a Trailer and here to see what they looked like, they were all like the Cadillacs'.  Two vertically standing springs at the top of the firewall and attached to the hood.  OK, I looked around.

My car has no attachment bracket on the firewall or threaded holes where it may go, the hood had no bracketry or holes either.  Huh.  My hinges have a 1/6" diameter hole at the elongated bottom and there are small "louvers" at the top of the frame, about a foot forward of the firewall & frame junction; I assumed a spring connects these two, pulling up the hood.

Other than trim level, I didn't see much difference between a Series 50 & a 52, I can't imagine reengineering a working system for one type of car.

Thoughts, suggestions?  Anything is more than I have now.

Thanks, Dan

Tom Boehm

I can clear up some of your question. The series 1940 series 50 and 52 Lasalles use two completely different Fisher GM bodies. Although the front end styling is the same, no sheet metal is interchangeable. The difference is most obvious at the rear profile. GM/Fisher had three basic bodies that all divisions used. Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Lasalle used the Fisher "B" body of 1939/1940 for their base models. This was older styling and more conservative. B,O,P,L, and Cadillac series 62 used the Fisher "C" body of 1940 for their fancier models. This body was more streamlined and modern.

The gist of all this for you is the 1940 Lasalle series 52 and the 1940 Cadillac series 62 used the same Fisher "C" body. Therefore the hood spring hardware will be the same.

My car is a 1940 Lasalle 50 series. I can post a picture of the hood springs but I don't know if they are the same as a 52 series. My quick research was inconclusive. Hopefully someone on this forum will know or have a 52 series they can post a picture of.

harry s

I just checked the MPL and the hood springs for Series 50 & 52 are different. It shows '40 Series 52, 62 & 72 as being the same. No pictures though.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

harry s

Here is a pictures of a '40 Cad Series 62. If you look close you can see the spring on the driver side. So it looks like your car would have a spring on each side. With any luck the attaching hardware will be there with just the springs missing.
I couldn't get the picture to post. Here is the link to the site:
https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/ds-1940-cadillac-series-62-coupe/#photos_section
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Tom Boehm

Your car should look like the Cadillac in the previous post by Harry s. My 50 series is different so I won't post a picture.

Tom Boehm

914Driver

Wow!  Thanks guys.  Guess I have shopping to do.  8) But that's so much easier when you know what to look for!

BTW; the stock 322 block had a badly done repair to it, no good at all.  It was rebuilt, but the guy didn't gap the rings, just pulled them out of the bag and lubed 'em up.  Engine froze in <100 miles. 

I'm putting a 346 in now.  If you need any 322 bits, shoot me a message.

Dan

LaSalle5019

You could always bore your 322 to a 346 if you wanted to rebuild that engine.

914Driver

Can anyone verify these really are LaSalle or Caddy Series 62 or 72 springs.  The seller has no clue.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

These are not 1940 62 or 52 series springs.  Not sure what they are but not 40-52, 62.

Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

914Driver