News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How to remove push-on clips that hold on 37 LaSalle letters on hood side panels?

Started by RentedDreams, December 21, 2023, 06:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RentedDreams

The subject line is what I need to know.

My 37 has LaSalle spelled out in very tiny letters on the hood side panels. It has very large metal push-on locking clips to keep them in place. The mounting pins are very small and fragile looking compared to these large clips and I'm afraid to pry on them. Normally, I just grab them with a pair of pliers and unscrew them, but these are so long the bottoms are against the hood side panel seam and won't turn.

I haven't found any letters available to replace them, so I don't want to break off the mounting pin. Anyone have an ideas?  thanks

signart

Art D. Woody

35-709

I would take a Dremel with a small die-grinder wheel and very carefully cut across the half circle piece where it goes over the stud.  Cutting just one of them should release the clip.  Those clips/speed nuts are readily available at any hardware store.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

signart

If those are speed nuts, they are not push on locks. You should be able to use an appropriate nut driver and back them off. Take a knife blade or such and pry up as you back it out if it needs a little help.
Art D. Woody

Roger Zimmermann

Those flat push on clips are always an horror to remove! the answer from 35-709 is the best one.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

RentedDreams

Signart ... they are flat push-on clips, not the small hex speednuts. The bottoms are flush up against the side panel seam and there is no way to turn them.

35-709, I like your idea and when I replace them I'll see if I can replace them with speednuts.

thanks everyone for taking the time to look and reply.

signart

Art D. Woody

Joe G 12138

These 1937 manufactured emblems were a poor crappy design when new, and never intended to be needed or wanted beyond about 10 years when the car was new.
      There are many posts that can researched on this site about 1937 La Salle hood emblems / trims / logos / etc. Try different "search word" combos about those darn things. Essentially, most people are most worried about finding one, either used, NOS, or even junk  to use as-is, copy, duplicate, Use as a pattern for reproductions (a more limited audience every year) and more recently 3-D printing. I'm Not trying to sound too sarcastic, but your fastener removal issue is minor compared to even having one to remove. You are lucky to have one....period!
      On that note, the one you own is probably NOT a perfect Cherry example, but whatever was "close enough" or "good enough" when put on sometime in the past 8 decades. The pins on the emblem are most likely undersized or missing due to breakage, corrosion, or ham-handed removal attempts over the years. But you are NOT going find another! DON"T RUIN WHAT YOU HAVE!  A previous installer did the best he could with the closest he could find; the retainers very well could be different styles or sizes. "any Port in a Storm" as the old sailors saying goes.
      Consider those clips / fasteners / etc.  as non-original , expendable, and destroyable as they aren't the main act anyway! Save the emblems if you can, Not the hardware store, body shop or "gas station workbench"
replacements. Cut / Slice / Grind / lube the hardware......but SAVE THOSE STUDS!.
       I don't want to sound sour grapes, but I did try to look for a pair for my 1937 LaSalle 5019 SEDAN for years. The holes in my hood  for those emblems were expertly sealed over decades ago. Guess what? After researching and looking for a few other ""missing or incorrect" pieces I'd be spending about what I paid for the whole darn car a couple decades ago. Maybe I could justify that to myself if was a Convertible Coupe, had side mounts, had 2 less doors on it,  or was the site of conception of a famous person. But No! It has had a "Sympathetic restoration"  between the previous owner (1968-) and myself ---present). Perfectly serviceable replaced interior  (but color wrong for year per latest standards). Whoops! Other trivial stuff for others to snivel about.
      Sorry to get off on a rant; but the point I am Trying to make is I'm happy and supportive of your enthusiasm and excitement in your interest in old Cadillacs / LaSalles / Allantes But please be aware some details / purchases / are not worth the  money /  some are good investments  / some will make you feel good / some will be nostalgic / and some will get you divorced.
       Joe Gibeault