News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Question about oddball undocumented part in 1936 transmission port

Started by dawicker, January 12, 2024, 08:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawicker

I bought two 346 engines/transmissions to replace a cracked block engine and one of three engines has a rather intricate sheet metal part in the inspection port of the transmission. Neither the old engine nor one of the replacements had this part. None of the documents I have for the car (series 70) show any details of this area
(shop manual, parts manual, and preliminary service information). It is clearly an original factory part as it is painted the same caddy green as all the engines and trannys. In order to put this part in you must remove the top of the tranny in order to clear the shifting rods. I am in the process of closing up the car after un-sticking the clutch disk, and if I want to put this part in, I need to do it now, as I have access to the top of the transmission. Is anyone familiar with this part and know what purpose it serves, and if it is necessary? I think it is not critical as two functioning cars did not have it, but it might serve some long-term purpose.
Dave Wicker
1936 4 door convertable sedan model 7029

Dennis Rizzuto Jr

Hi Dave, I recently purchased a 1936 Fleetwood 7 passenger touring sedan. As I am learning they are a bit of a unicorn in some respects. Are sure the engines are 1936?. I don't mean to question you but as you may know they have an engine mount in the front unlike later years, and the generator bracket is on the lower left side of the block close to the frame with an access plate behind the drivers side tire. I know that has nothing to do with your question, just trying to make sure we have the right year engine which may help ID the tranny plate. I have not had my tranny apart so not sure if mine has this part. It almost looks like part of a breather, or may help redirect gear oil. If you'd like, feel free to reach out since we may have similar cars which could be helpful. I will monitor this question for other responses.
Thank you, Dennis 

dawicker

Yes, all three engines I have are 36, as well as the transmissions (serial numbers on engines are all 311xxxx and transmissions are all identical). It can't be a breather as the cover plate seals this thing up, and it is in the bell housing so there is no lubricant. It seems like it can only redirect air movement, so it might serve to help keep the clutch cool. The problem I am finding with the car is that only major items are included in the documentation that is available, but there is nothing about the bits and pieces the hold it all together!

Dave Wicker

Dave Wicker

LaSalle5019

Does it attach to the bell housing or transmission? Maybe a photo of where it is installed would help.

Dennis Rizzuto Jr

I have found the same when it comes to the manual. I would guess if it was in there to start with it can't hurt to put it back in, however I understand wanting to know what it is and does.
I'll keep and eye on this chat, I too am curious to find out.

dawicker

It slides into the inspection port of the bell housing on the top. The second photo shows it inserted into place. Here is a photo of the inspection port without it. You can see the pilot bearing and clutch housing but not much else

I have decided to put it in "just in case" since at this point it is a fairly easy task, but once everything it is back together that won't be the case.
Dave Wicker

dn010

Judging by the cuts, edges and angles, looks like some sort of homemade piece to me.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

KenZ

My 1936 series 75 has the same transmission with cover.  The 1936 shop manual Plate 55 page 118 shows a picture with a "clutch breather" appearing to be underneath the cover. This transmission or similiar versions was utilized with previous years and up to 1937 on the bigger series cars.  Gives you visual access to the throw out bearing when the cover is removed.  It will keep dust and debris from entering if installed. No, I don't have the specific answer other than what the shop manual shows. Good Luck!               

dawicker

Ken;

Good eye! I missed that photo, but that is indeed the part. However, the cover on this photo is stamped; my cover is flat (I didn't get the covers with the engine/trans I bought so I don't know if they were stamped). Is your cover stamped or flat? I don't know if this is significant as the breather appear to fit fine with a flat plate. I'm still unclear how this functions as a breather as the cover does not have any openings, so if its a breather it is being suffocated!
Dave Wicker

dawicker

OK, new plan. I removed the transmission top so I could slide the breather in, but it wouldn't seat proporly. Comparing the innards to the transmission that the part came out of, the breather is being blocked by a 3/8" copper line that connects an external oiler to the oil fitting on the release bearing. The original tube size appears to smaller, maybe 1/4", and I can't easily shift the larger tubing out of the way and I don't want to exert too much pressure in the wrong place and kink it, so I'm going to leave the breather out. Oh, and in the process the gasket on the transmission top got hung up and torn, so I'll have to deal with that. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished!

Now I am concerned with the eventual breakage of this larger-than-original tube that obviously flexes everytime the clutch is depressed. Seems like even the original must experience this problem at some point, but you may never notice it until your bearing fails. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening?

Dave Wicker
Dave Wicker

KenZ

Dave,
Removed my cover and took these pics.  The raised lip is mounted to the aft and appears to have a small gap which would allow air to flow.  There are no visible markings on the cover.  Also, I have driven the vehicle about 5000 miles since ownership with no adverse transmision problems.  BTW, would you have a spare 1936 bell housing that you would be willing to part with?  Hope this helps.  Thanks,  Ken   

dawicker

Ken;

Thanks for that info. I found the cover that went with the tramsmission that had the breather, and it was stamped just like yours is. The cover on my caddy is different, but it does look like its either a factory part, but maybe off of a different year caddy, as it has been in service for some time. For now, I've left the breather out with the flat cover, but if I ever have cause to remove the transmission or engine, I will replace the oil tube and put the breather in with the proper cover.

Yes, I can part with a bell housing. Message me with your particulars and I'll send it to you.

Dave Wicker
Dave Wicker

KenZ

Dave,
Sent a PM yesterday. My E Mail is kzmann@cox.net       Thanks  Ken