News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1946 convertible top

Started by Daniel Szydel, July 04, 2023, 10:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Szydel

I'm restoring my convertible top frame and have a couple of questions:

In the picture attached what is the metal tab for?  There's a notch in the wood behind part of it ( these go in the top frame behind the quarter window)

Also what is this fabric called or what have others used to recover the wood parts.
1946 Cadillac Convertible
1931 Ford Model A Coupe

toybox

What ever it was was ripped out of the one on the left. It would help if you could show where these parts fit in the mechanism. It could be as simple as a rubber cushion or stopper. Tim

dogbergs

No one knows, is a good tune by the QOTSA.

/ Johan
-51 Cadillac serie 62 convertible, project
-64 Dodge Polara 2dHt, 1 driving and 1 for spares.
-70 Volvo 121 (Now sold after 21 years)
-63 Plymouth Max Wedge clone, project
-42 Harley WLA
-43 Royal Enfield WDCO
-33 Ford Pick up, project

TonyZappone #2624

The material I think is called bow drill?  The missing pieces could be the snaps that hold the top close to top mechanism.  They snaps are installed on an  angle, so if the top is lowered and we don't remember to unsnap them, they slide out as the top is lowered.  My '47 is up North, someone should be able to show you a picture of these snaps.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle