News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1954 Temperature Sending Unit

Started by Scott Halver, March 13, 2024, 09:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Halver

Hello,
I have a '54 Cadillac with the temperature gauge going to 3/4 hot when driving in moderate weather, thermostat housing reads approx 171 degrees via a laser temp gun.  I purchased a "new" NOS sensor for '53-'55 to install.  I removed the old sensor and found it had a lot of sealant on the threads.  The old sensor is smaller in size and as such the new sensor is not going to thread into the smaller hole.  The engine serial number matches the '54 car but maybe I have an earlier intake manifold ?  Do I just clean-up the threads and put the old sensor back in with NO SEALER ?  The gauge does go from cold to 3/4 hot so the sensor is doing something and the guage is working.  The old sensor is not brass, possibly aluminum or steel, new sensor brass.  The wire from the firewall was cut and a different connection attached.  Thanks SHalver
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Scott,

You can get adaptors to fit the smaller senders in the large holes.

Plus, there should not be any sealant around the threads of any electric sender unit that uses the thread as a ground.

Yours could be minimally touching, but any touching should be a good ground.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon