News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

Thoughts on a early 70's Calais?

Started by rsms, January 30, 2021, 10:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdemerson

I know this posting is about early-70s Calais. But it reminded me of a Calais that I judged at the Louisville GN. It was a green 1976 model -- the last year of the Calais. The owners -- Darryl and Mary Brandenburg from Michigan -- were  friendly and interesting enthusiasts who are CLC members. As I recall, the Calais was loaded, so that in many ways it was the equal of a nice '76 Coupe DeVille.

Here's a CLC link:
http://photos.cadillaclasalleclub.org/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=102

Here's the caption from the CLC photos directory:

1976 Calais Coupe
Second owners, Darrell & Mary Brandenburg, are very proud of their 1976 Calais Coupe. It is rare enough that it is a Calais Coupe that has survived in totally original condition (21,000 miles), but it is made even more rare by the fact that Rinke Cadillac, of Warren, MI, loaded this sweet ride up with many, many pre-first title (and therefore factory approved) additions. It has all of the possible DeVille options, plus a custom vinyl roof, pin-striping by Frank Galli and extra chrome on the front end.

The remark "and therefore factory approved" is one I find interesting... I recall it as a truly stunning Calais even if not quite totally original.

John Emerson

John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

"All possible DeVille options" would include ACRS (air bags), Trackmaster Brakes, Fuel Injection and Astroroof, among others.

Not sure what is meant by "factory approved" additions...

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

D.Smith

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on January 31, 2021, 07:37:23 PM

The standard seating was in all vinyl.  Vinyl / cloth combos were optional but not in the same patterns as the DeVilles.

Who told you that?     All vinyl was never standard in any year Calais.   Cloth was always standard even in the Calais.   Vinyl extra cost.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Dave...was vinyl extra charge in other GM models where cloth was also available?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillacmike68

Quote from: D.Smith on February 01, 2021, 09:01:15 AM
Who told you that?     All vinyl was never standard in any year Calais.   Cloth was always standard even in the Calais.   Vinyl extra cost.

I'll look at my brochures again. I thought that the 60s were vinyl as standard eq.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike