News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 Cadillac Convertible hard boot

Started by GBrown #8092, November 11, 2022, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

Has anyone else ever seen one? I hadn't. Anyone have an idea as to who made it?

It's fiberglass with wooden latches.  Too nice a piece to have been home made.

Car had been in Florida before being brought to Illinois if that helps.

Glenn

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks like it might be a modified unit from the FWD Eldorado Convertible, or the other GM brands that use the Scissors top.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

GBrown #8092

I don't think so, but will see if I can find someone with a scissor top hard boot and compare.

Glenn

cadillacmike68

That has to be custom made. GM / Cadillac Never made hard boots for the 1967-70 DeVille Convertibles. I'd really like one for my 1968. It MIGHT be POSSIBLE to make one from a 1965 El Dorado Convertible, but by bets are on a custom made boot.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Rich S

This seems similar to a custom made accessory, popular in the seventies for Eldorado Convertibles. That custom made accessory was an item I first saw in South Florida at Connor-Brown Cadillac (Fort Lauderdale) in the seventies. It was available from Cadillac dealers and a company from Pompano, Florida, near Fort Lauderdale, made the ones I have seen. The item was a fiberglass tonneau cover for '71 to '76 Eldorado Convertibles that covered the rear seat, featured bulges up to the head restraints as built-in around the head restraints, and I have some pictures. It seems to me the same company likely made fiberglass parade boots for DeVille Convertibles. Later, the company offered reproduction fiberglass parade boots (similar to the factory ones for the '71 to '76 Eldorado Convertibles) which fit nicely. They advertised them in Hemmings' Motor News and I have one on my '71 Eldorado Convertible, but I purchased it around 2004 or 2005, and I have not kept the details with the company name. The company was also manufacturing custom fiberglass pieces for boats.

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

GBrown #8092

Rich, that might be the answer. The car did come from Florida. I have reached out to the family of the owner during that time to see if they can shed any light on the matter. 

Stay tuned

Glenn