News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Look for the simple things first

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, February 09, 2023, 06:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just got "flatbededed" home with my 75 CdV.  Pulling on the onramp, the car had shifted into 2ns, but I needed a bit more and put it to the floor kicking the trans down to 1 st. Took off and then the engine shook like it was going to tear itself off the mounts and then quit cold.  Coasted part way down a 1 lane off ramp and tried to start it to no avail. Of course the FIRST thing I thought of was a timing chain (although I have previously physically seen that the cam gear had been replaced with an all metal one) and then figured the motor had broken something. The dollars and the hours working on the car had me resetting my schedules for the next 30 days, and thinking about the rebuilt short block and cylinder heads I have in my garage going into this car.
Traffic going around us ( it was the beginning of rush hour) some coming close, so we needed to get out of there.Called AAA who responded splendidly. got us loaded up and home in short order.

Once home I popped the hood, looked at the HEI and saw the power wire just loosely sitting in the slot, 1/2 way pulled out. Pushed it back in and made sure it was in fully, cranked the car which of course started immediately./
Like my Mentor Bob always said, look for the simple things first.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Poncholover

And I was thinking that the Nitrous tank was empty!
Flattie Caddy

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations on locating the fault.

Probably wouldn't have found it whilst panicking on the highway, with all that traffic around.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

No Bruce I most likely wouldn't have. I would probably pulled the HEI to try and see the cam gear first, followed by a trip to the hospital when a rush hour cowboy careened me off the wall. LOL
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

James Landi

Has me wondering if your"kick down" massive torque pulled the engine over as well as the wire harness, thus the disconnect.  Several decades ago, I fiqured out that my fully depreciated daily driver Cadillacs absolutely despised those full throttle "kick downs," when my '67 Eldo suffered a dent in the hood as a result of the front (single) motor mount ripping apart on my application of "the kick down"--- the wing nut on the air cleaner provided sufficient incentive for me to stop that pedal to the metal activity.  As my mechanic stated, "The hood kept the engine in the car!"  Happy day, James

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

When you hear hoof beats, think horses not zebras.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Chopper1942

Back in the day, all GM V8's had issues with motor mounts separating and when the motor lifted, denting hoods, destroying fan shrouds and fans, and some times sticking the throttle wide open causing crashes.  There were several different recall fixes until the mmounts were re-engineered to interlock block and frame metal plates on the mounts. Most used cables attached to the exhaust manifolds and the frame.  If I had a driver and liked to jump on the throttle, I would defininately replace my 40-70 year old mounts with new updated ones or at least tie down the left side of the engine so if the mount gives away I don't damage the car or cause an accident.

Thought of that and checked the motor mounts. They do not"give". My "quarter mile" car however is chained on the driver;s side. It seems to help lift the left front tire under "moderate" acceleration.LOL
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

fishnjim

Not only broken mounts could do the hood, but it would pull the throttle wide open and you were in for a ride if you didn't know how to shift into neutral or turn off the key.  How do I know? 
Replacement mounts still failed but they put the two ears to keep them from separating.  No one filed a lawsuit back then?  Wasn't enough boomer ambulance chasers yet.   
It was "cool" to run oversize tires, and I think more than one didn't have the torque to turn them so the weakest link was the mounts or the trans.
How is it that the last thing is always the one that solves the problem?  Just need to find that one first...  Same applies when you lose something, it's in the last place you look!

James Landi

Quote from: fishnjim on February 24, 2023, 02:00:08 PMNot only broken mounts could do the hood, but it would pull the throttle wide open and you were in for a ride if you didn't know how to shift into neutral or turn off the key.  How do I know? 
Replacement mounts still failed but they put the two ears to keep them from separating.  No one filed a lawsuit back then?  Wasn't enough boomer ambulance chasers yet.   
It was "cool" to run oversize tires, and I think more than one didn't have the torque to turn them so the weakest link was the mounts or the trans.
How is it that the last thing is always the one that solves the problem?  Just need to find that one first...  Same applies when you lose something, it's in the last place you look!

All that torque, all that advertising about the horse power rating, all that post teenage desire to show off, (when the mood moves one) and bingo, pedal to the metal, downshift into 1st gear, secondary kicks in, and the BANG, my beautiful hood has developed an ugly pimple.  Now I drive my Cadillacs like an old geezer, wanting to preserve them rather than prove something that, at day's end, is irrational, expensive, (likely illegal), and attracts negative attention to an aging "boomer."

scotth3886

Quote from: James Landi on February 25, 2023, 07:31:58 AMAll that torque, all that advertising about the horse power rating, all that post teenage desire to show off, (when the mood moves one) and bingo, pedal to the metal, downshift into 1st gear, secondary kicks in, and the BANG, my beautiful hood has developed an ugly pimple.  Now I drive my Cadillacs like an old geezer, wanting to preserve them rather than prove something that, at day's end, is irrational, expensive, (likely illegal), and attracts negative attention to an aging "boomer."

LOL.  I'm older than a boomer, from a generation that was 'supposedly' silent. 

Is this somehow tied into "You have to grow old but you don't have to grow up"?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille