News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

In Hindsight, were the Dagmars of the 1950's too, uhm, big?

Started by BJM, July 29, 2009, 11:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Joe Manna

Quote from: Walter Youshock on July 30, 2009, 09:41:22 AM
The "TECHNICAL" term was "Gullwing" bumpers.  Virginia Egnor, aka "DAGMAR", will have her nickname forever associated with Cadillacs of the '50's.  I'd like to find a photo of her and Jane Russell together....

Really, Harley took them from his LeSabre and stuck a grille in the middle.  His car didn't have "cleavage", like the Cadillacs did.

Overall, I'd say the '55's were the epitome of the Dagmars.  The rubber "tips" wee added in '57, they said, to prevent damage to other cars.  How would you like to have 2 big dents in your trunk lid?

In any event, we should all be glad those designers had the guts and creativity to create what they did, as well as the greatest car designer of all time for a boss, and the (then) financial power of GM...

That's why old cars are Time Machines--they CAN briefly take you back to the day when GM was #1 and Cadillac was KING.

Walter,I don't think the rubber tips on a 57 front bumper would be classified as "damage control".I guess,that would be a "5 mph bumper of the 50's".

But,you are right,these old cars are truly time machines.When GM was # 1 and Cadillac was truly"The Standard of the World"
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Peter H. Luft #19778

NO>>>>>NO>>>>>>>>NO>>>>>>>>>>>>>They were just perfect.........The 64 Eldo Guy.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Bill:

I AGREE with you -- I have a '55.  Love those dag's.

BTW, my pick in the beauty contest contenders mentioned above is Liz
Taylor.  Remember "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" with Paul Newmann?

As Walt said, we can debate this one 'till the cows come home!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Otto Skorzeny

Liz's beauty faded by the 1960s. Sophia Loren still looks awesome and she's older than my mom!

Another one that still looks good is Raquel Welch.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Walter Youshock

Eartha Kitt was MY Goddess.  Look at some photos from "Anna Lucasta" or "St. Louis Blues".  All that and CATWOMAN, TOO?!?!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR......

And, all she wanted was a" "Plain simple car, a cerise Cadillac.  Long enough to put a bowling alley in the back."

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham