News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where have all the younger crowd gone?

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, July 09, 2020, 01:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinhnguyen57

If the modified chapter is part of the CLC, why hide it?  We are hiding it because, as evident, even club members don't know how to search for it easily.  The easier it is to find it, the more visitors you will get and these visitors will then start to explore the rest of the CLC website and forum.  I bet you'll get more membership.  Yes, there will be some "bad" members, as with any situation, but there will be some "good" members, and members who can add a lot of knowledge and value to the club.

Just my 2 cents worth.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Since the CLC has a Modified Chapter as well as a Modified Class, it's difficult to see how it can be argued the CLC hasn't gone out of its way to be as inclusive as possible.

Second point, participation in a GN requires a considerable commitment of time and expense which I'm guessing probably wouldn't fit in well with the plans/lifestyle of many 30-somethings; less for those in their 20s although there are some exceptions.

Let's be honest, car collecting tends to be a mature person's pastime for the simple fact that few younger people have achieved the means and control to make it happen. If they're starting a family on a shoestring budget, forget it until their kids have been on their on their own for about 15 years.

Years ago I invited an owner in his 20s with a '61 Sedan who I met at a local car show to join the Central PA Regional CLC show held at the AACA museum at Hershey. To my amazement he showed up and both he and his car couldn't have been more warmly welcomed. After the show, we also invited him to join other participants in a post-show gathering and cookout at the home of one of the region members about 15 minutes from the show was held. He expressed his thanks but politely declined saying he had to get back home. He had also joined the CLC National Club but I see his membership has since lapsed and never saw nor heard from him again. 

Maybe the car got wrecked, developed a serious problem, lost storage and had to sell the car or started a new job/family, needed the money, decided to get a Cutlass or heaven-knows-what. What are you supposed to do? Keep lowering standards in hopes of gaining some nebulous demographic whose priorities shift with the wind, who are unlikely to become long term, dyed-in-the-wool members no matter what you do?

Nothing good ever came of identifying a problem where there is none, then applying the wrong fix. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Laurier just got
My new iPhone 2. Seriously a place
At the “family table”
Is a good analogy
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on July 10, 2020, 01:42:56 PM
Since the CLC has a Modified Chapter as well as a Modified Class, it's difficult to see how it can be argued the CLC hasn't gone out of its way to be as inclusive as possible.

Second point, participation in a GN requires a considerable commitment of time and expense which I'm guessing probably wouldn't fit in well with the plans/lifestyle of many 30-somethings; less for those in their 20s although there are some exceptions.

Let's be honest, car collecting tends to be a mature person's pastime for the simple fact that few younger people have achieved the means and control to make it happen. If they're starting a family on a shoestring budget, forget it until their kids have been on their on their own for about 15 years.

Years ago I invited an owner in his 20s with a '61 Sedan who I met at a local car show to join the Central PA Regional CLC show held at the AACA museum at Hershey. To my amazement he showed up and both he and his car couldn't have been more warmly welcomed. After the show, we also invited him to join other participants in a post-show gathering and cookout at the home of one of the region members about 15 minutes from the show was held. He expressed his thanks but politely declined saying he had to get back home. He had also joined the CLC National Club but I see his membership has since lapsed and never saw nor heard from him again. 

Maybe the car got wrecked, developed a serious problem, lost storage and had to sell the car or started a new job/family, needed the money, decided to get a Cutlass or heaven-knows-what. What are you supposed to do? Keep lowering standards in hopes of gaining some nebulous demographic whose priorities shift with the wind, who are unlikely to become long term, dyed-in-the-wool members no matter what you do?

Nothing good ever came of identifying a problem where there is none, then applying the wrong fix.

Eric, you can't find the "modified chapter of the CLC" with a search warrant, it needs to be HERE on this site. And you won't have to worry about a GN unless you start bringing in fresh, young blood.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on July 10, 2020, 04:18:47 PM
This is just an example

Greg this is what I'm talkin' about! Note the blacked chrome. Sinister!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

druby

I brought this issue up to board members about a “Modified Chapter” spot on this forum. Glen Brown stated he would look into it. Maybe one of the administrators of the forum can proceed with making that happen. Also it would be nice to have some “Modified” stories summited for publication in the Self Starter magazine. The club’s membership is dwindling down each year and the younger generations that are interested in Cadillac’s tend to lean on a Modified vehicle. Many of the younger people into Cadillac’s may not have the funds or resources to fully restored a vehicle to its former showroom condition. I’m happy to see all these positive comments on this issue and not shaming those who choose to modify an older Cadillac.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

D.Smith

Not all young car enthusiasts are into Modified cars.

Quote from: D.Smith on July 11, 2020, 09:25:28 AM
Not all young car enthusiasts are into Modified cars.

Yup. And not all older people are into stock cars either.

35-709

I enjoy both, and have both. 
I have been a member of the CLC since the mid-80s and a member of the Modified Chapter since January of 2006.  Our head administrator here, Bruce Reynolds, was president of the Modified Chapter for many years and is still an active member.  I am happy to see a link to the Modified Chapter now placed at the top of the Discussion Forums locked bar.   

CLC Modified Chapter Forum Links
Started by Vince Taliano #13852

And I thank our current Modified Chapter president, Greg Surfas, for getting this ball rolling.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

What do you mean Eric? Isn't this stock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOMmtoROps0
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

mgrab

On occasion I like to watch some programming on Motor Trend TV.  One of the shows I happen to like is Restoration Garage which is filmed at the Guild in Canada.  On occasion they highlight some of the crew's vehicles.  I can only remember one stock car and that was a muscle car.  These are the folks that keep stock cars on the road… and there is a huge shortage of them.  This is one of the main reasons it cost so much to get stuff done nowadays.  I see it on all the capital projects my company does, we constantly fight (and hope) we paid enough to get the "A team" and we seldom do (at least it seems that way).  Nowadays, if a young person can't do something with a smartphone, chances are it ain't getting done.  No one wants to work with their hands anymore.  I myself prefer stock but, anything that can be done to get more folks in the car hobby in general is not a bad thing.
1941 Cadillac 6267D
1948 Packard Custom Eight Victoria
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan

chrisntam

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on July 10, 2020, 12:54:45 PM

Funny, didn't this NEW/GIRL start this fur ball about 2 years ago?

Snip...

Which was promptly met with "I'd rather see the car crushed."

Yes.

Yes.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Uhegej

... I do understand some of the comments; I don't think of myself as old or young. I am 43.  I am on Cadillac number 5. My first Cadillac, was my first car at age 16.  I currently have tri-7 Fleetwood and an 88 FWD Fleetwood. I have experienced much kindness from Barry Wheeler. The big thing for me is location. I live in Terre Haute, IN. I think I am the only current member in town. Everyone is an hour or more away. I did recently make an acquaintance my age with a ‘59. I told him about the club and suggested he check it out online. I know some young guys like Cadillacs still... I currently have a 16 year old; young man interested in buying my ‘88. I hadn't plan to part with it, but his father is going to help him fix a few things. So I decided to sale it cheap because he’s serious about keeping it going and driving it. I am holding on to it for him; he’s working this summer to pay for it. So it’s on layaway! I was so excited to recently encounter both these guys. Not sure about other regions, but in Indiana I have only experienced welcome and invitations from the local chapter. I would have gone to last GN in Louisville but it was same week as my Cocoa beach time share!
John Hegedus

1979 Fleetwood Brougham

Jason Edge

Quote from: 35-709 on July 11, 2020, 10:39:20 AM
I am happy to see a link to the Modified Chapter now placed at the top of the Discussion Forums locked bar.   
Well, there are 11 Cadillac LaSalle Club Chapters and we all have our targeted member base. As director of the 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter I am always looking for new members with an interest in those particular model years and of course open to all avenues to direct potential members our way. Our "Chapter" is open to everything from unrestored originals, to restored to originals to resto mods to full-on customs.  Since the Modified Chapter now has a "locked bar" at the top of the General Discussion Forum screen, I have submitted a separate post with links to our 63/64 Cadillac Chapter Forums and believe it only fair that all chartered CLC Chapters be afforded the same opportunity to "be found" as the Modifed Chapter, by having locked links.

I have never had any problem finding the Modified or any other Chapter or Region, however, my search always start on the CLC site (www.CadillacLaSalleClub.org).  If you go to the main website you will find ALL Regions, Chapters and International Affiliates under "Local Clubs".  I do not like the umbrella heading "Local Clubs" since Chapters have members spread out around the globe as do International affiliates.  I do not think if you are looking for a Chapter that focuses on modifeds or say 1963/64 Cadillacs, it would be intuitive to look under "Local Clubs".   By definition, Regions fall under "Local Clubs", but not Chapters and International Affiliates.  I think the heading label on the main site should perhaps be changed or Chapters & International Affiliates be given their own header link from the main CLC page.

Regardless, if locking links to the top of the Forum discussion page helps people find Chapter Forums, then count me in. 

Assuming our 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter and others are given the same opportunity to be seen and found here on the forums I think the simpler solution would be to just set a locked link at the top of the General Discussion page to all Cadillac laSalle Club Regions, Chapters, and Affiliates - https://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/page/regions_chapters
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

76eldo

There is a huge following on Facebook for Cadillacs.
Many groups and pages. I started two groups, Hess and Eisenhardt Cadillacs and Big Eldorados, a group for 71-78 Eldo’s. I’m also a moderator for an Allante group and the HT-4100 group.
As a club we should adapt to new social media and be more accepting of cars that are not pure stock and original.  We do have a Modified class and a Modified Chapter but not all Cadillac owners have an interest in joining the club. I don’t understand the reluctance but that’s the way it is.

Don’t judge the overall interest in Cadillacs if this is as far as you go on the internet aspect of the old car hobby.

Laurie was correct then and is correct now.
We have to be more open to all types of Cadillacs.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 76eldo on July 12, 2020, 12:40:22 PM
We do have a Modified class and a Modified Chapter but not all Cadillac owners have an interest in joining the club. I don’t understand the reluctance but that’s the way it is.

Just a guess but its because those who are modifying/own these cars don't know about it OR have been to this page or other CLC specific Facebook pages and have read/seen/felt the wrath shown to those more interested in bags than tower clamps? Just a guess... I've seen/read those posts to the CLC Facebook page only to see others SAVAGE the posters, brutally. I'd tell you to go fly a kite if I was in their position.

Any Cadillac rolling is a Cadillac saved.

There will always be a place, a need, for those who choose to restore to the correct nut and bolt. They preserve history,
and that's crucial. But there are a lot of people who don't like mustard on their hot dog, they too can contribute to income (dues), attendance at major events and importantly shine a bright (LED?) light on the technology that's out there and being used in these restos.  And they have no idea we're looking for them.

Image the Self-Starter doing an issue on the modifieds, real modifieds. An SOS to the Facebook pages "The 1965-1970 Cadillac Collective" or "Cadillac Style" etc requesting photos and stories on their modified cars for the mag... That issue would be 4" thick. And I understand the Self-Starter is member oriented, might have to relax that for an issue. More importantly it would show an open door, a seat at the table, here at the CLC for the modifieds. And if they come, many here need to be POLITE if they post. Not everyone likes mustard on their hot dog.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Lexi

I never felt "snubbed" in the slightest by any of the major car clubs. In fact the only snubbing I got was when I found myself in situations where the majority of cars present were modified being the lone wolf with a factory stock car.  Therefore this cuts both ways as I see it...

...appreciation that only comes from the experience, enlightenment and knowledge that comes with age that hadn't yet been attained... there is nothing incongruent about cultivating younger generations about the history and the reasons behind the time honored traditions of original preservation and authenticity while also maintaining a welcoming atmosphere.

Above quotes from Eric DeVirgilis

LMAO over that last posted picture ;D Good one. Eric nailed it by commenting in his earlier post that the great divide that lies between younger and older car people is (often) a matter of cultural maturity. Having witnessed it over some 55 years of collecting, (45 years of classic Cadillac ownership), a thesis could be written on it. When I look back at the late 60s & 1970s when all of my like aged friends were into cars I was the only one who drove a Cadillac (i.e. land yacht). All of them were into muscle cars. They were polite but were of the opinion that the cars I liked were "old men's cars". What little interest they had in my Cadillac was how it ran, and little if any appreciation of the historical aspects. Is one group better than the other? Nope, but there are vast differences.

With respect to cars I have noticed there are bascially 2 camps 1) The preservationists 2) the performance group. Yes, I know there is much cross-over here, as there are many who are as intrigued by the nuts & bolts as they are about the history of the automobile, but space is limited.

It seems reasonable to me that like minded people will find ways to connect with each other, though some barriers are a given. Like I don't want to see a Self Starter completely filled with Cadillac resto-mods or that last shot posted by Eric as "gracing" the front cover! That is not what I signed up for. Likewise, those heavily embedded in the custom world have their focus as well. There is nothing wrong with that. We are all products of our environment.

If one is to look at this purely from a numbers game (to increase membership), that involves a different set of values, though the quote "You can't be all things to all people" comes to mind. Seems to me that a common meeting place for both groups is here at the CLC, and I have no objection to the modified group building on that aspect. There should not however, be an abdication of CLC core values which clearly state why the Club was formed in the first place. Clay/Lexi

Our Purpose
We were initially founded to encourage enthusiasts to maintain, preserve, and restore collectible Cadillacs and LaSalles built from 1902-1942. Now the CLC recognizes all vehicles built by Cadillac. We promote the development, collection, publication and exchange of helpful information pertaining to our cars. We also promote social fellowship for club members.
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille