News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

80 DIESEL

Started by AL GIGGAR, April 27, 2005, 08:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL GIGGAR

I HAVE AN 80 DIESEL COUPE AND A FRIEND JUST GAVE ME A 350 THAT WILL FIT BUT I WAS TOLD THAT THE TRANS MIGHT NOT MATCH UP. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT! THANKS

Lynn 10923

What is the 350? If its an Olds, everything will bolt right up, including the trans. The diesel engine was based on the Olds 350 block.

Lynn

Mike #19861

All GM divisions, save Cadillac, made a 350. The most common is the Chevrolet. The bolt patterns at the bell housing vary. The Chev has its own, and the Buick, Olds and Pontiac share another.

The 350 Olds will more or less bolt in. But, most of these diesels came with the THM200 which is a very flimsy transmission. Even a stock 350 Olds will tear one apart. You would be better off using the THM350 which will easily stand up to the torque of the 350 Olds.

The THM200 looks a lot like the THM350, but the THM350 has a vacuum modulator valve, as does the THM400 and lighter THM375 that the gas powered 80 Cadillacs used.

Mike