News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Another newbie, looking to buy a 50s model.

Started by Jw4, October 04, 2022, 02:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jw4

Good afternoon, fellow classic car enthusiasts!

I am looking to get a third or fourth generation Series 62, any body type. Basically, 1948 to 1956 models. Maybe 1957, although, the "new style" tail fins look just about borderline ridiculous to me, while the 1958 is definitely no-no   :D

I am hoping to find a good driver, in presentable condition, not buying any more projects (learned that the hard way). The budget is about $20k, maybe more, if I can find something I really like. Looking to get one for new year, maybe in January, so still a couple of month to look around. I am an alright DIY mechanic, and the oldest vehicle I owned to date is from 1953.

Still have not decided which ones I like better, the older third generation, or the newer fourth. I like them both in different ways, I suppose. I've been looking around Craigslist, eBay, with very little success. Preferred locations to purchase would be around Florida or California, but an looking in the entire continental US, although, the towing price will definitely affect the final car budget. Hemmings seems to have the majority of listings, and there are also some interesting ones in the applicable section of this forum.

My main concern is that I am having difficulties determining what's authentic and what has been redone on some of the cars I am looking at. I am not at all familiar with the Cadillacs, so my best strategy, thus far, has been googling pictures of a particular model-year for comparison. I suspect that my best option is to look for mostly well-preserved original cars, with little alterations. Assuming that I can find one within the specified budget.

Would it be okay for me to post some listings I've found, so that we could briefly go over them together?
Ivan Beliaev

Lexi

No responses might mean that this sounds like a lot of work at this stage of your selection process & also like you wish to have members even make a decision for you. Seems to me that you have the ability to distill the data and to further narrow the search field. If you have decided to take the Caddy plunge and when you have zeroed in on an era, it would be beneficial to purchase from the CLC an Authenticity Manual that covers the model year and study it along with the usual internet sources. You have decided to buy so why not arm yourself with this information first? Then, when you go to look at a prospective Cadillac you and perhaps even a local CLC member (who has agreed to attend) will be in the best position to asses the vehicle. Seems to me that the your search-help parameters are still too broad and it may not be practical to offer advice at this stage of your research. Clay/Lexi

Jw4

Thank you for the tip about the authenticity manuals, did not know that these were available. Are these like a color albums with images of original cars/parts, or are these more like the OEM part catalog-type diagrams?

Thus far, I was mainly interested to read other people's opinions about some of the specific cars I've found online. In my experience, it is always useful to hear advice from the specific make enthusiasts, to see whether or not I am going in the correct direction with my own evaluation.
Ivan Beliaev

Lexi

If you go to the main CLC site, and click on store, you will see a link to the Authenticity Manuals page. I tried to copy it for you, but as what seems usual with that and this site, things are slow and sometimes not working.

I have not seen all the AMs, but the ones that I have are black and white 8.5  x 11 size booklets. Nothing fancy, but packed with useful facts from volunteer experts. You are paying for their knowledge. Yes, there are errors in there, but they continue to evolve and are still a better than nothing tool to have.

The era of your interest is complex with a lot of variables. Late 1940s cars designed to satisfy a post WWII need for automobiles-sometimes still using late 1930s technology (even some styling). Then 1950s which opened with more or less the same but rapidly changed into the early vestige of what most of us recognize as the first true "modern" cars with out of the box styling. Witness the birth of the 4 barrel carburetor to standard power steering and brakes, AC, early automatic trunk release and pull down, first electric antenna, wonder bar radio, rear seat radio signal seeking controls, automatic headlight dimming, power windows and seats, cruise control, memory seats, world's "first" tubeless aluminum rims, power vent windows, a push to all hydramatic transmission and disappearance of the manual trany. The list goes on and much of this took place between 1952 and 1959!

The more stuff these cars came out with the more challenging they can be to restore or just keep on the road due to pars availability. Unlike the Model A or T or even Tri-5 Chevys, there is much barren landscape from a parts perspective for Cadillacs of this era. I would say that it would be far easier to rebuild the former automobiles noted than these Cadillacs. These early automatic, electric wonders are a challenge to keep alive. That said, if you are still interested, choose your era and buy the AM. Then keep on this site.

There is nothing like a vintage Cadillac, as they truly were the Standard of the World. When one pulls onto a cruise night parking lot the crowd inevitably gravitate to them as they are attention grabbers to say the least. Even all the muscle cars and high performance bling doesn't hold a candle to them. I think people instinctively know that these cars stand alone and command respect.

Check out the below link for a perspective on why Cadillacs are so cherished and just so darn good. Clay/Lexi

http://www.mcsmk8.com/WHYCADS.htm

Jw4

Lexi,

Thank you for the additional information. I did find the link to the AMs, but just was not sure what's in them. There appears to be no preview of any kind. Could be a useful feature to have, by the way  ;)

I've been giving this careful thoughts, over the past days, and it seems that I like the 54-56 models the most. And out of these three years - probably 1954. I am not really interested in the particular mechanics/accessories, I just like the way they look. I would like an AC, and the Fleetwood extra trim (especially like the chrome headliner), if I can find a car like this. Not really looking for attention or respect either, I just like old original cars (mostly sitting in the garage) that's all  8)

Thus far, there is one 1954 for sale on Craigslist, but it was partially "restored" and there are some questions about that. Also, found 2 1956s, on Hemmings, which potentially need to be inspected more closely. Moreover, already received a couple of tips from the forum members (THANK YOU!), although, for older-model cars.

In general, the search appears to be going according to plan, at this time.
Ivan Beliaev

fishnjim

Start from the price range and work backward in the years your interested in.
www.caaarguide.com
www.hagerty.com/evaluationtools
NADA OR BLUE BOOK may have some.
That way you can see, what you can "afford"/is in your price range and what the likely condition will be.  You have to be at least a 4 or 5 for a driver in CAAAR.   There's a condition guide on there.  Others used an inverse scale, 1 being top, etc.  Hagerty I think is 1-8.
Go to an aggregator site like: autotrader, classicars.com, hemmings, topclassicarsforsale and see what available.
Mke sure all the paper work is in order before you set down any cash, and if you buy out of area/unseen, use a bond agent or escrow account.  Lots of unscrupulous actors on the internet.
You don't get my vote, because I own a '58 for that slight...

Jw4

Thanks for the info, Jim.
I accept the later models, I just personally like the earlier fins, that's it. I used to briefly own a 58 sedan, over 10 years ago. I was just getting into the old car hobby, at that time, and did not know how much the cars can actually deteriorate with time. This was a northern car, in a donor condition. Bought it for 1.5k, on an impulse drive. The interior was falling apart, the undercarriage was so bad that one of the rear doors would fall out if you open it (since there is no B pillar). I was able to make the engine run (which was a very bad idea because it sat in storage for years) and then had to let it go about a year later.  ::)
Ivan Beliaev

Bryan J Moran

I am not familiar with placing generations as a type on the series 62.  I know my years pretty well.

You can use the website AUTO TEMPEST to do a custom search for the years you are interested. 

We all have our preferences, but my preferences have changed over the years.  The 1957 Cadillac 62 with the fins you do not care for - I like a lot.  But as you know I also love the 1956 cars, but that was the end of a 3 year styling cycle. 

I would say that the further you get along from 1949 the more "complicated" issues may become. Interior fabrics got more specialized, power options galore got added, and all are 70 or so years old.  I personally like to keep it simple in my purchases, to focus more on maintenance but it is entirely up to you.
CLC 35000

Lexi

Quote from: Jw4 on October 06, 2022, 10:38:28 AM...it seems that I like the 54-56 models the most. I am not really interested in the particular mechanics/accessories, I just like the way they look. I would like an AC,

Good choice. My favorite years as well. Your problem will be that the later the model year you choose, the more likely you are to find cars with more accessories, (many which you do not want). To provide one example, I see more '56 Cadillacs with power windows than with manual crank style windows. Your accessory of choice, factory air, would probably prove to be the most problematic and costly to keep operational or to restore. But at least with factory AC you get the exterior air scoops which look so cool. The average person doesn't realize how problematic old cars can be, especially from this first "modern" era. Bit of a curse actually to fall in love with them, but the cool factor is undeniable. Clay/Lexi

Kevin M. Parkinson

Ivan,

I have heard that between the 1954, 1955, and 1956 Cadillacs, people prefer 1956 because of the more powerful 365 cubic inch motor as compared to the previous 331 in '54 and '55. The transmission was improved as well.
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1939 Series 9033F
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

J. Gomez

Ivan,

You have to look into a few personal and technical items on your side before jumping into the abysm.

First you need to consider your tolerance level threshold on both physical, mental and $$ when looking at any of these years for your next adventure.   ;)

The '55 was the last year for the 331 and as others can chime in most of the early bugs all care for "BUT" with a few intricacies nevertheless. 

The '56 first year with the new 365 and a new Hydramatic transmission, also too many "only one-year" items, so you know bugs/issues/bugs. 

So every new model/year for this vintage can bring new and different challenges on your side and since you got familiar with the '58 before well you may have keep the "pain killer" in storage for your new venture.   ;D

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

I agree with Jose. Like Ivan, when I first fell in love with these cars I did not care about engine size or add ons. It was their cool look. As Jose noted these other matters eventually become a factor and you must weigh your tolerance level and financial capabilities before taking the plunge. Clay/Lexi

Jw4

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on October 06, 2022, 02:04:52 PMI am not familiar with placing generations as a type on the series 62.
I got the generations from Wikipedia, for lack of better reference. Sorry  ;D

Quote from: Lexi on October 06, 2022, 02:32:57 PMYour accessory of choice, factory air, would probably prove to be the most problematic and costly to keep operational or to restore. But at least with factory AC you get the exterior air scoops which look so cool.

Actually, I was hoping to either get a working AC, which someone had already completely redone with a new R-134 system, or to fix it myself. Of course, an aftermarket trunk unit can be installed, pretty much anywhere, as well. The exterior scoops and the existing internal distribution ducts of an OEM system would be at least useful so that I do not have to think about where to pull the fresh air from and how to distribute it throughout the cabin.

Quote from: Kevin M. Parkinson on October 06, 2022, 02:42:55 PMI have heard that between the 1954, 1955, and 1956 Cadillacs, people prefer 1956 because of the more powerful 365 cubic inch motor as compared to the previous 331 in '54 and '55. The transmission was improved as well.

No sure if I want a more powerful engine, but will keep that in mind, thanks. I am leaning toward the 1954 for the conservative-looking trim, low fender skirts, smaller "bullets" at the front.

Quote from: J. Gomez on October 06, 2022, 03:43:05 PMYou have to look into a few personal and technical items on your side before jumping into the abysm.

I think it should be alright. I usually do all the maintenance/repairs myself. Know the difference between kingpins and ball joints, can adjust the ignition/carburetor (with the shop manual), replace brake hydraulics, etc. Most of the things except welding body work, engine and transmission overhaul, drive-shaft balancing, is a DIY, in my opinion.

Ivan Beliaev