News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 Lasalle, Junk or Treasure?

Started by Dean B., October 23, 2005, 06:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean B.

Through an inheritance I have recently recieved a 1939 Lasalle,  It supposedly is completely original, Motor trans, etc.  The body is in good shape however it definatly needs alot of work,  Does it have any value or is it not worth much at all,
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dean

Porter 21919

Dean,

Any old car that is not a rust bucket is a treasure.

Like everything else we have aficianados of all brands of cars, the LaSalles are very special to many, very unique front end and grille styling, in addition to good quality, an entry level Cadillac.

Many of us here have a strong distaste for the new cars, including myself.  Not that I dont like them, jut too expensive and complicated.

Sounds like you have a very desirable restorable car, not a gold mine though. It is a resto/project car for the right person that wants a 39 Lasalle.

Porter

Doug Houston

In my opinion, the 39 LaSalle is a wonderful car to have, and to enjoy when the details are cleaned up after long disuse. You didnt mention the body style, though its probably a sedan. Those cars have a comfortable ride, which often surprises first time observers.

As has already been said, its a Cadillac by another name, and is an equally fine car. If you dont care to keep and restore it, someone else can appreciate it a lot.

JIM CLC # 15000

10-23-05
Dean, if you are not a "jack" of all trades, or want to learn, by all means,sell it to a Cadillac-La Salle lover who will restore it. As for what it is worth, I can only guess, but condition and body style will be a big factor. Please post the numbers that are on the data plate, located on the engine side of the fire wall, drivers side.
Good Luck, Jim

Mick

Hi Dean.
Look it from a different angle:  What parts and how many do NOT need any attention at all as they currently are now.  Rust, engine, wheels, cooling, brakes, upholstery, instruments, transmission, chrome, electrical, glass, ...  ... ... Make a list of what really does NOT need ANY work performed.  Will help you decide.
If you dump it, can you please let me know where ?
Mick

Matt V16

Even if its in poor condition, no Lasalle could be considered junk.. I have two Lasalles in my garage.. A 37 convertible sedan and a 39 sedan which I just bought at the Hershey auction a few weeks ago.. It had a total frame off restoration about ten years ago and is the most driveable prewar Cadillac I have ever owned.. I was not wild about the front end style of the 39 next to the 37/38, however I like it more and more every day.. Now, I cant stop looking at the car.

Bob Laughon #18623

Tell us where this car is and Ill bet youll have a steady stream of CLC folks that will come to look at this car and probably more than one that will make you an offer!

Ken Andersen # 21420

If you want to see what passion and love for a car is then check out my 1928 Cadillac on this web site on the Photo Gallery.
Do you have any photos of th 1939 La Salle that you can send to me??

Porter 21919

Ken,

You must have woodworking skills.

That was my profession for 20 years, my buddy is still trying get me to buy a Woddy, he just found a Packard Woody in a barn somewhere down in NJ.

No thanks, I have cut, shaved, sculpted, dovetailed, mortised, laminated and sanded too many 1,000 of board feet already.

Bruce Reynolds worked in a boat yard in his younger days.

I had a 59 Luhrs 23 mahogany lapstrake boat years ago, it had a Greymarine Model 109 flathead 6, those were the days. They used to build them in NJ , I worked at a large NJ Architectural woodworking company back in 1979-83, one of my buddies there had worked at Luhrs back in the 50s, he might have had a hand in my boat.

LOL,

Porter

Rod and Adhania Olson CLC#15736

Dean, we have a 38 LaSalle 5019 sedan and love just looking at it.
And it rides like a dream.
There are only 800 or so LaSalles known to exist worldwide
as many were driven to death during WW2 or junked when new postwar cars came out.
Unfortunately 1940 was the last year for LaSalle.

As previously mentioned ,condition is critical.
Rust is a killer and plating is expensive these days.
A lot of the previous year Cadillac parts are interchangeable.
But it sounds like a pretty solid vehicle that just needs some-one who wants to see it back in its heyday.

But you must be in love with an old car or the lustre will wear off quickly as the costs rise.
And the bruised knuckles heal.
But if you do keep it you will be rewarded with years of joy and fun.
 Theres a lot of great people in the Club who will help you,too.

Theres a reason Archie and Edith sang:
"Gee, our old LaSalle ran great."

Hope to hear from you and the new project!

Rod

Dean B

Thanks for all the input, I am not a car guy, embarrassed to say.
The Lasalle engine plate says the following

LaSalle 39-5019
Body 13137
Trim 33

The cars body is in what I would consider excellent shape, but what do I know,  The engine and all components are original,  it is suppose to even run(Dont have a key so dont know for sure)
The interior definatly needs alot of work.  If anyone lives or is going to be close to Lancastr CA(Approx 1 hour north of LA) let me know and I will be more than happy to arrange it.

Thanks again

Dean

Ken Andersen #21420

Hey Porter,

No woodworking skilss, just handy with my hands and eyes.