News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Just get rid of it

Started by Erich Loepke, October 27, 2005, 09:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erich Loepke

If you really dislike the car that much, sell it to someone who wants it.

Ive never driven your car so I cant say whether or not the vehicle is operating normally with any certainty. However, based on other posts you have made, the 2003+ full-size Fords are not for you, and I dont think there is any car made these days that would be either. Also, Im inclined to believe that the vehicle is operating as designed, it just doesnt suit your preferences. That doesnt excuse the poor behavior from the dealer employees, however. The reason I tend to believe the word of the technician is that we (Im a Ford technician as well) drive similar vehicles on a daily basis and have a good idea of how they drive normally, and can usually tell if something is out of whack, like lack of steering assist, excessive vibration, engine modifications, etc.

Alignments are only covered under factory warranty for 12 months/12,000 miles, and only after that if its incident to another warrantable repair (such as replacing a tie rod end, which requires an alignment afterwards). Extended warranties usually dont cover alignments; its considered a maintenance item.

You admitted that you did not test drive the car before buying it, and that will count as a major strike against you in any negotiations that may happen. Best thing to do (you may have already done this, but...) is to talk to the general manager of the dealer. Forget the used car management; I work at a dealer and I dont have anything nice to say about them, either.

Denise 20352

Oh, the joy of modern technology.  

http://www.americansoapbox.org/avi/steering.wmv TARGET=_blank>www.americansoapbox.org/avi/steering.wmv

This is what I demonstrated to the Ford mechanic, and his replay was, "Thats because its trying to force 700 psi through a small orifice".  Perhaps you know what he meant by that, but you can see in this film that not only is there insufficient boost, but it is not consistent.  I turn it back the other way and sometimes it moves easily, sometimes I can barely budge it.  Sometimes its really hard to move, I turn it a little, then it suddently has a burst of power steering and slips around.  You can imagine what happens when it does this while Im going around a curve.

-densie

Erich Loepke

The 700 PSI through a small orifice sounds like the technician is describing the VAPS (variable assist power steering) solenoid. The older cars (like my 94 Lincoln Town Car) used the EVO (electronic variable orifice) system which used a solenoid mounted near the power steering pump, and these systems would default to full steering assist if there were a problem. The VAPS, however, will simply stick at whatever assist level was present at the time of a fault. Sounds like there may be a problem in that system that is not generating a DTC, and may not be present when the car is in the shop.

My own experience with "lemon" cars is usually an obscure problem with the car, possibly a wiring problem in a relatively inaccessible area of the vehicle. There are some "technicians" who cant or wont take the time to properly diagnose and repair such a "problem child", and the car ends up being bought back by the manufacturer. That said, however, if the vehicle truly was not acting up while at the dealer, the technician cant fix what isnt broke. In a case like that, I try to get the customer to demonstrate the problem. It could be that the write-up was not describing the problem, the concern is a normal characteristic, or the concern can only be duplicated by driving the vehicle a certain way that only the customer can demonstrate.

As far as wide tires are concerned, the trend for a while has been to larger diameter wheels to accomodate larger diameter brake rotors. Thats why your car has 16" wheels. Rather than make the whole wheel/tire assembly larger in diameter, the manufacturer uses a lower profile (wider tread and shorter sidewall) tire. And yes, ridiculously wide tires (like those installed by wanna-be racers) will cause the vehicle to follow road irregularities more than a more normal vehicle. Ive never noticed that much of a tendency to do so on any late-model Ford vehicle that was operating normally.

denise

Thanks.  Im going to print this out and take it with me on Tuesday.

-d