News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tilt telescopic steering column for 1967

Started by Cadillac1967inthenorth, December 12, 2023, 10:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac1967inthenorth

I tried to find information about the tilt telescopic steering column used by Cadillac in 1967. Is the RWD columns for Deville and Calais interchangeable with the Eldorados.

Roger Zimmermann

Standard models have the part number 5698640; Eldo models , also with T&T, have the part number 5698680. Obviously, they are not interchangeable.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on December 13, 2023, 03:11:47 AMStandard models have the part number 5698640; Eldo models , also with T&T, have the part number 5698680. Obviously, they are not interchangeable.

Thanks  :)  Devilles etc (front wheel drive cars) have part number 5698640 for T&T and FWD Eldorados have part number 5698680.

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Is it hard to replace a standard column with a T/T column? T/T column is an option that is desirable :)

billyoung

In my opinion I would rather have a non tilt and telescope column car as the turn signal indicator switch for the T and T columns are no longer available.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Thats a good argument :)

But is it hard to replace a standard column with a T/T column?

badpoints

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Is there any difference between the 67 and 68 columns? And could the steering wheel from a not tilt be used, or at least parts of the steering wheel, the rim?

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Cadillac1967inthenorth on February 24, 2024, 07:58:31 AMThats a good argument :)

But is it hard to replace a standard column with a T/T column?

Not if it is done correctly, BUT there is a difference in the bushing down at the bottom where it connects to the rag joint. If this is not done correctly your steering will SUCK.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 06, 2024, 01:58:30 AMNot if it is done correctly, BUT there is a difference in the bushing down at the bottom where it connects to the rag joint. If this is not done correctly your steering will SUCK.
Thanks! Good to know that.

What about the rim, is it the same in both tilt and standard steering? I have tried to compare and they look the same but the tilt rim mounts on a different "base"

cadillacmike68

I don't know if the rim interchanges. I have both a standard and tilt column in my attic, but it's a PITA to get up there. Maybe I'll look in a few days. My 1968 DVC has a T&T column in it.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cadillac1967inthenorth

I managed to find a tilt and telescope steering column here in Sweden. It´s in good chape, but need to be painted in the right color. The turn signals switch works and the rest of the mechanism is like new. It was quite cheap, 4500 kr, 450 dollars.

I have done some research. The SM15 cancelling cam should work in this switch, but it´s not that easy to remove the old one and install the new one.

Im not shure if the switch in the Toronado T/T column is the same as in Cadillac, but here´s a guy that managed to replace the canceling cam. http://toronado.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1992

Cadillac1967inthenorth

My new column is black so I removed the steering wheel rim from my covert interior car and painted the black plastic and metal pieces that surround the rim in the same color as the in my covert car. Now I have to paint the column to and then mount it in my car. The paint is maybe a bit glossy, but the texture is still there.