News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New to the Club and Need Some Support

Started by mvetri, March 26, 2024, 11:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvetri

Hello Fellow members!

I'm new to the club. My father was a member for over 40 years, but he's 87 now, has dementia, and I'm trying to step in and take over for him. He LOVES his 1967 Sedan Deville. I need some support with some maintenance questions.  Every Spring I take it for an oil and filter change. Is there any other maintenance I should be doing? What is the recommended PSI for the tires? What type of gasoline do I use, as REGULAR gas doesn't exist anymore.

I hate to sell the car because my father always says to me "I bought this Caddy on your birthday to celebrate you." I've gone to so many car shows with him over the years that I want to keep this tradition alive and well and I love to see him smile. 

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you have. Here is a picture of us at a car show. :)  ;D

Larry Savino

Welcome to the club, I would recommend you also see if there is an active regional club near by .

Sorry about your Dad , We dealt with that with my Mother Inn law.

I have a 67 ,I use High test in it. Keep it waxed and cleaned and a regular oils changes. Again Sorry and good luck moving forward . Looks like a great car

Dave Shepherd

For gas you should use, non ethanol 91 octane, Stewart's and Sunoco have it here in eastern N.Y. Tire pressure depends on what type tire, bias or radial.

J. Skelly

Maria,

That's a beautiful car.  My grandmother had one in another color. 

Regarding the tires, if it has the original-type bias-ply tires, the owner's manual and driver's door should list the correct tire pressure.  The tire pressure is also listed on the outside of the tires. 

If it has radial tires, the tire pressure listed on the outside of the tire is just a recommendation.  Ride quality will depend on the brand and model of tire, and the tire pressure.  It might be best to go to a tire store that sells that brand to get their recommendation.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

badpoints

You should try to find a good mechanic who can do maintenance and repairs on the car when needed.
32 psi is good for about any tire.

Cadillac Jack 82

Thats a very pretty car!  I use 91 pump with octane booster and lead additive.  Make sure you use non-synthetic oil with lead additive.  Grease all your fittings regularly.  Ensure any electrical wiring is clean to prevent insulation from decaying/breaking.  Wash/wax/ceramic at least every 6 months with regular washes in between.  She'll last another 57 years!
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Jerry Puma

Hi Maria,

I remember you, your father and the car from the Cadillac Club clam bakes at Roger Libby's house, years ago! Thanks for the update. The local club is still active.

Jerry Puma
Vice-Director
WNY Region CLC
Jerry Puma
1964 Eldorado
1961 Series 62 6-window

David Greenburg

In addition to oil changes, you should have tune up items checked regularly. Check timing, points, condenser and rotor. I check mine annually. Depending on how often you drive, you probably won't have to replace parts that often. But maintenance interval were much shorter than they are for contemporary cars. Get the antifreeze checked/replaced every couple of years. If the car doesn't like 91 octane, try adding an octane booster. My cars are happy on that, and I'm stuck with ethanol-infested gas except when I stop by a nearby racetrack for the really good stuff.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

billyoung

Welcome, Sorry to hear the news of your Father. I was born and raised in Rochester. I was a member of the Western New York Chapter for many years. Regarding a trustworthy mechanic contact Steve Lamagna he Loves old Cadillac's and owns a perfect 1965 Rivera and is a lifelong mechanic and can do anything, his number is 585 415 5141.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

James Landi

Old coolant can appear to be healthy and green, but it can turn to acid over time... have the coolant changed and have the cooling system flushed by a shop where that is their focus.  Radiators get plugged with scale, and only begin to become destructive when it's hot out, you're stuck in traffic, and your a/c is on.  This kind of shop also services a/c systems.  If your car still "blows cold," ask the shop if they will top off your a/c system with r12.  A few shops still do, but this refrigerant has been nationally banned for decades.

Regarding the "tune up," several important parts are generally neglected. The vacuum advance on the distributor is one such part. Easily checked on your car because of the metal sliding panel on the rotor cap, you can observe the stator plate moving as you advance the throttle. If it does NOT move, the vacuum advance needs to be replaced---your car will run much better, and you'll save gas on every mile you drive.

There's also an issue with the timing gear-- produced almost 60 years ago, the gear's teeth were manufactured with a coating of plastic, that over time, breaks off.  This timing gear and related parts should be replaced, and while doing so, the water pump can be replaced, and the radiator can be serviced off of the car. 

Hope my narrative doesn't scare you off.  Of course if you don't drive the car long distances and you nurse it along, viz: don't "floor it," and baby it, you can defer some of this costly stuff I've mentioned... all depends on how you wish to use it and what your expectations are when you're using it.  Hope this helps, James

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Sorry to hear about your situation, but glad you are going to keep the old girl.
I keep it simple and use mid-grade with Marvel's in it. And yes, it has ethanol.
All the best.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Art Director

Welcome to the CLC! Here's hoping you make many friends and attend some Grand Nationals. This year's is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, not far from where you live.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold