News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

WHAT?

Started by spolij, March 06, 2020, 04:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

Here's a point. Every gallon of gas has what, .18 cents or something like that in taxes, I don't know exactly,  but someone with a car that gets 10 mpg is paying $1.80 every 100 miles of road traveled.
Now along comes someone with a car that gets 50 mpg, he's paying $.36 for every 100 miles traveled.
Now here comes a guy with an electric car and he's paying zip for that same 100 miles traveled.
Just curious,  how is that fair?
I can see paying for the roads, I've been doing that for more years and more miles than I care to say. It's just automatic every time I fill the tank.
Now if they began charging a fee for the electricity used to recharge an electric car to pay for the road tax, that would be great.
The only problem with this is exactly how do you distinguish between a car charging and someone who just turned on a light or the A/C,  or whatever?
You can't,  at least not yet. So the only obvious option is to charge the electric car owner for the road tax the only way they can that would be fair, with a license fee.
Now at least there's something being paid for the 100 miles of travel.
Nobody, well, not many people complain about the gas taxes anymore, now it's time for electric vehicle owners to pay their fair share.
Anytime there's a new technology out there that gets around the "system" , there's a lot of people who want to jump on it and screw the government or society, or however they look at it,  and when they get caught at it, they want to yell "unfair" and discrimination.
Well, I think it's unfair and discriminatory that I should have to pay taxes and road use fees. That should be everybody else's job,  not mine!
Sounds familiar doesn't it. Everyone pays one way or another.  There's no way around it. Sooner or later, the government is gonna reach into your pockets and take what is due for being a part of this great country.
If you don't want to pay, you might not be able to play one day. However you can find another place to try.
This discussion is bordering on political issues, and I don't care one way or the other,  but some people are upset by anything political. For this I apologize. I prefer not to get into a political debate either, because it only creates hard feelings. But I felt it was necessary to make mention of all of this to bring up a point.

Just my opinion,

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

cadillacmike68

This one's headed for the padlock or the red circle with the diagonal slant in it.

You want to buy an electric? Fine, go ahead, Don't like the extra surcharge, then don't buy one, or move. 

Just don't complain when some state tries to ban gasoline but still charges more for an electric vehicle registration. That's probably coming soon in some blue states.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillac ken

Quote from: gkhashem on March 07, 2020, 06:11:18 PM
Yes they do cost but before you spout off some misinformation. Look at this chart.

https://midwestepi.org/2017/05/03/what-are-road-construction-costs-per-lane-mile-in-your-state/

I see a top heavy representation from your blue states. Do you see a trend here?

Especially the admin costs per mile, where they hire the political HACKS.

https://reason.org/policy-study/23rd-annual-highway-report/administrative-disbursements-per-mile/

So keep pretending its all about building a road.

Sorry, I forgot that the Liberals are always the enemy.

Scot Minesinger

Here in VA near DC, the hybrid and all electric cars drive free on HOV lanes with a single driver - save much time, so there are incentives over all gas cars ownership to save the planet, just not the roads.

For $100 probably not worth fighting it.

Every year the government spends way more than the tax receipts.  Taxes are on sale now.  They are going to up.  This is just the tip of the emerging ice berg.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

I thought I'd bring some specific dollars and cents to this debate.  Gasoline taxes vary by state but since this discussion was started regarding Ohio, I will use Ohio as an example.  Let's suppose that driver "A" has a gasoline engine car which averages 22 mpg and is driven approximately 15,000 miles/year and driver "B" has an EV (uses no gasoline) which is also driven approximately 15,000 miles annually.

Since the state gasoline tax in Ohio is 38.5 cents/gallon, driver A pays approximately $262.50 in state gasoline taxes annually while driver B pays $0.00 and therefore saves $262.50 each year.  Driver A pays a $35 annual registration fee while driver B pays $200.  Even with the higher registration fee, the EV driver is still paying nearly $100 or 1/3rd less each year than the gasoline car driver even though both use the roads, as far as miles, equally.

Additionally, the EV driver doesn't pay anything in federal gasoline taxes which would amount to another $125.45/year paid by the gasoline car driver.  Now we're up to $222.95 more in taxes/fees paid by the gasoline car driver each year.  While nothing like this is going to be exactly perfect or equal, I really don't think a typical Ohio EV or hybrid driver should have much to complain about.  In this particular example, the EV driver is paying notably less in taxes/fees.

Cadman-iac

Well said Mr. Langley,  my point exactly.  I just didn't have any exact figures to explain it with.

And I might add, we all pay eventually one way or another, Uncle Sam will see to that.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

spolij

I'm not trying to create a political forum.
There's two issues everybody's bringing up one is road usage/damage. I pay my license fees same as the next guy which supplies part of the revenues that are used to repair the roads along with state taxes.
If you drive a gasoline operating car 100 miles and I drive my hybrid 100 miles. I'm not damaging the roads any more than the gas car's. So that isn't really a valid issue.

I didn't buy a hybrid car to take advantage of a tax loophole. As someone mentioned about exemptions, well that's nice of the government. I'm 100% disabled I don't pay taxes. So there is no incentive for me. But I understand that's my problem.
There is no misinformation stated here, no matter what the cost of roadway maintenance is I pay the same as anybody else as far as state taxes and registration fees are concerned.
What's next claiming the mileage on your car on your tax forms and having to pay more because you don't travel as much and don't use enough gas? Say you're retired you don't travel back and forth to work every day, These people aren't contributing to the Gas revenue like other drivers. Should we charge more registration costs, raising more taxes because those people don't use enough gas to meet the tax standards. Should people who don't drive, pay extra taxes to support road repair? After all the commercial trucks that bring products to the stores these people shop in, use the roads why shouldn't the consumer share the costs?
Don't get me wrong I wouldn't encourage the statements that I just made. They are just examples of far-fetched but truthful argument. Argument meaning the same as a lawyer might come up with some far-fetched idea to defend his client.
I make good money. I am far from rich, $100 a year is not going  to hurt me. For me it's the principle of the thing.
I'm done that's all I got say. Thanks for your patience

64\/54Cadillacking

Eventually the government will find a way to tax EV drivers, it’s inevitable. Be it at charging stations, or from utility companies increasing your rate from recharging at home.

Living in CA I see this state making all kinds of promises every time they beg voters for a tax increase and those promises never come to fruition.

For example the gas tax hike which combined a registration hike for all Californians made the state having the highest gas tax in the nation and one of if not the most expensive state to register your vehicle. The promise was our roads, freeways, highways and local infrastructure was going to get a boost in funding for repair and maintenance.

Well this never happened. The local infrastructure here in San Diego is terrible for having pretty much wonderful weather year round, we don’t deal with snow or much rainfall that destroys asphalt over a short period of time like other more severe weather states deal with. Pot holes riddled streets combined with serious deep cracks that look like an earthquake came and went, uneven lumpy and bumpy roads, just overall the lack of repair and neglect from state and city crews goes to show this tax increase was a lie and used to fund California’s pension liability crisis it has.  Paying almost $4.00 a gallon for premium at a local Chevron just goes to show how this state is also price gouging it’s people when currently the price for a barrel of oil on the stock market is nearing $40!!! Unless you go to Costco, we’re still paying way too much for gas in CA like always.

For example prior to the gas tax/registration price hike a couple of years ago, I was paying only $78 a year for my 64 Cadillac, this includes my other cars as well which are Lincoln’s and my previous daily driver, a 94 Fleetwood Brougham. I payed roughly the same price for all of them, all under $80 a year.

After this stupid increase, I am now paying $128 a year for cars that I rarely drive and aren’t contributing to the wear and tear of our streets! I call BS on this damn state robbing its residents of money, it’s no wonder so many people are moving out of CA because of all the tax increases and insane cost of living expenses are forcing people out. They just had enough.

Where’s the justice? I am now paying $50 more a year for every classic car that I own. Supposedly the state was going to base the price increase on the value of your car, well how do they do that? How is it that I am paying the same amount of money yearly ($128.00)  for my 87 Brougham and my 64 Cadillac.

There’s no way my 87 Brougham is worth the same compared to my 64, the 64 hands down is worth double if not triple of the 87, yet I pay the same price to register them. >:(

The value system is flawed, and the entire system is flawed. As Californians we have no chance, we’re screwed either way. Get an EV, you’ll eventually be taxed for that too. You can never win here.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

cadillacmike68

Get ready for the button.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

MaR

I feel like if $200 is a fair number for an EV to pay for a road tax, it should be fair for everyone and just get rid of the state gas tax.

Scot Minesinger

Today I am starting work on a 1965 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S, no vinyl roof - 53k miles - cool!

On this topic - let's drop it.  Just about everyone writing in owns a Cadillac hobby car, which is a luxury in consideration that half of America does not have $400 for an emergency.  $100, $200, $300 - who cares - I know the principle of the thing...

Anyway, this is a political topic.  I don't even think that the electric car that started the thread is a Cadillac.  It is not like this forum is going to change State taxes.

The weather today here in VA was as good as the stock market was bad, 73'F sunny, no clouds, no humidity and no wind.  Perfect day for a ride top down in the convertible to run some errands.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Gene Beaird

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on March 07, 2020, 08:20:09 AM
Why? Being electrically powered doesn't mean they don't contribute to road use/wear.

All that weight from all those batteries press the tires into the asphalt/concrete further into the ground.   ;D
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Gene Beaird on March 10, 2020, 03:49:00 PM
All that weight from all those batteries press the tires into the asphalt/concrete further into the ground.   ;D

Indeed. At 4,647 lbs and 5,451, the Model S and Model X weigh about as much as any regular production postwar Cadillac. The smaller model S weighs about the same the average mid size Japanese car at 3,552 lbs.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillac ken

For comparison:  2019 Dodge Challenger @ 4448 lbs
                         2019 Cadillac Escalade  @ 5856 lbs
                         2019 Ford F-150           @ 5697 lbs
                         2019 Chevy Suburban   @ 5808 lbs

kgreen

Indeed and amen.  The coal and natural-gas powered cars such as the Prius and other EV's don't have road taxes associated with the fuels they indirectly burn.  Just like gas used on the farms which is not taxed as heavily since those fuel-burning vehicles don't use the roads.

0maha

Here is a PNG file that shows state gasoline taxes for each state: https://files.taxfoundation.org/20190730150512/Gas-Tax-July-2019-fv-01.png

Ohio shows $0.3851/gal, which is on top of the Federal gas tax of $0.184/gal.

According to the DOT, the "average" driver drives 13,476 miles/year.

Assume the average car gets about 22MPG, run out the math, and the average Ohio driver is going to pay about $350/yr in gas tax.

BlackCads

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on March 09, 2020, 04:36:58 PM
Today I am starting work on a 1965 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S, no vinyl roof - 53k miles - cool!

Did you purchase this car? What are you doing on it?
1965 is my favorite year. I almost bought a 1965 Fleetwood Brougham 8 years ago but it wouldn't fit n my garage.  :-[