News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Lasalle part location

Started by Ben, January 08, 2024, 04:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I bought a ''gro, upper shift lever @ strg'' from Steele Rubber and I can not figure out where it goes. This part is just a rubber oring about the size of a quarter. Based the description I assumed  it went somewhere around where the gear shift attaches to the shift column. But...... cant find a spot for it. Maybe my car does not use this part or maybe I'm just not seeing it. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

harry s

Shift lever grommet

p/n: 70-0769-26

Grommet, upper shift lever at steering column.Height: .25 inches.

If this is it looks like it goes on the shift lever on the steering column and holds the shift rod going to the transmission. I couldn't get the image to post.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Ben

Harry,
You have the correct part but I do not understand the location you are referring to. The only location I can imagine is somewhere behind the steering wheel where the gear shifter interfaces with the inner shift shaft. The ID of the seal mates up well with the OD of that shaft but cant see a spot for it....... Everything seems to work well without it so maybe its just not needed for my set up. My car BTW is a 1940 50 series.

Thanks

harry s

Check under the hood where the shift shaft ends and the levers are attached that connect to the shift levers on the transmission. As I recall there is a rubber bushing in each of those loops for the connecting rods.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Tom Boehm

This part goes on the chrome shift lever as it goes into the steering column. There is a groove in the chrome shift lever just inside the steering column to hold this grommet in place. The rubber grommet acts as a bumper to cushion the shift lever so it doesn't bang into the opening of the steering column at the top and bottom of its motion.  You can see where it goes without removing the steering wheel. You have to remove the knob on the shift lever to install this grommet.

Ben Medlock

Good afternoon Fellas. To close this one out, I'm still thinking my car does not take this part. Following Tom's instructions, the grommet does seem to fit on the gear shift lever in a groove near the steering column but does not seem to serve a purpose. In the pictures it may look like it will touch the steering wheel housing but it does not. May just leave it there for now and have someone take a look at this years GN... which I plan to bring this car to.

Thanks again for the information

Tom Boehm

I remember seeing an original grommet on the shift lever (put there at the factory) either on my car or a parts car.

Also I looked in the parts book and there is a blowup drawing of the steering column. It clearly shows the grommet on the shift lever. Part number 1426505 used on all series 1938-1940.

My car is a 1940 Lasalle 50 series.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Depending on how the shift rods are adjusted the rubber o-ring will hit the steering column housing.  Not sure if one is supposed to adjust them to just hit or just an insurance policy to prevent a noise if not adjusted to miss.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo