News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cracked Kelsey Hayes turbine wheel

Started by Gary Evans, April 20, 2024, 06:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Skelly

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Lexi

Quote from: Gary Evans on April 22, 2024, 08:27:22 AMLexi, let me ponder a bit and see what is available, if anything. It appears through looking at other photos of the 57 rim that the tire attaches to the inner steel rim. Do you and everyone think it would be ok to drive on until another is purchased?

That is sound reasoning. I would spend time looking for the proper rim. Also, based on the appearance of yours, the one I have appears not as pristine-so not a good match. Finding one of these rims as a single and in condition that is consistent with yours will take some time. Not sure about the safety aspect of driving yours. Perhaps a solid tire shop could provide an opinion once they have physically inspected it. Clay/Lexi

Lexi

Almost forgot to answer your other question, but I beleive the '57 Sabre does have the tire seat on the steel portion of the rim. The first Sabres in 1955 used a different means of production and assembly. There were issues experienced by some owners. Long story short, in 1956 Cadillac went to the so-called "clad" design where the outer aluminum Sabre was clad to an inner steel rim. I have not read that changed in 1957*, as the clad design proved to work well. As a result, the crack in your outer aluminum shell is probably not much if any of a factor, but I cannot guarantee that. Best to have a competant tire shop examine. Clay/Lexi

*Edit: Though as previously noted a '56 Sabre will not fit over the front drums of a '57. So that design element did change. Somewhere I have exploded views of these rims and post images if it helps.

Cadman-iac

Bill,
Judging from the picture, the length of that crack looks to be at least 8 inches long. If that's the case I would not use it until it's repaired or replaced. The danger is that it still has pressure on it from the tires air pressure, and each time that section is on the ground the weight of the car adds more pressure. This can possibly cause the crack to expand, and much more  and it's going to break with disastrous results.
Remember that lip is what keeps the tire on the wheel.  And also, if the tire bead has any imperfections along the inside, or bottom edge, air that can get past that portion is usually stopped by the sides of the bead, provided the wheel is good. The air can escape through the crack if the bead should leak, and if that happens while you are driving,.....

Rick

Edit: I'm basing this on the wheel being all aluminum.  If it's designed like Clay has mentioned, then this is less likely.  Hope this helps.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Lexi

Quote from: Cadman-iac on April 22, 2024, 10:35:42 AMEdit: I'm basing this on the wheel being all aluminum.  If it's designed like Clay has mentioned, then this is less likely.  Hope this helps.

I am inclined to agree, however, the '56 rim/wheel is not all aluminum though as Cad-maniac surmised. In '56 GM used a steel rim which I believe on it's own you could theoretcially mount a tubeless tire to. Rather than use hubcaps, the Sabre rim employed an added aluminum outer decorative shell to dress up the wheel. I am not sure whether it was also intended to be functional at all, and might be there just for looks. If...if... it provides additional stability to repel the force of an inflated tire, then continued driving could eventually end with disasterous results as Rick noted, should the inner steel rim be lighter in duty than regular steel '56 rims. Time permitting I could try to mic my spare steel '56 rims and compare to a Sabre from that same year. If the same, it would appear that the "clad style" '56 Sabre rim is more for looks, though I would add that it may further bolster the steel rim inside. But if these steel inner rims are consistent with non Sabre steel '56 rims, there should in theory be no problems. The issue with '55 Sabres is half of them internally were aluminum and half steel-the so-called "split rim" design. Probably not as strong which may explain why my research indicated that there were 2 types of '55 Sabres, each having a different number of internal rivets, (air leak problems were noted early on). Probably too much "twist" and other stress that apparently caused air leaks. Yes, I know others have not had problems with their '55 split rim style wheels, (maybe theirs were the later type-different rivet count?) but others not so fortunate. When doing my research I found no data on "2 types of '55 rims". Probably a secret kept by Cadillac to protect their brand. Probably why in '55 NO Sabres were offered for Series 75 cars, but in '56 they were. Again, my guess is that they were made stronger, with 75s having their own part number. That said, still best to have a tire expert inspect. See attached images of a 1956 Sabre rim assembled and apart. If Gary elects to purchase a '56 chrome Sabre or a '55, (same fitment over the drums), I would avoid buying a '55 for the reasons provided. Hope all this makes sense. Clay/Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Lexi on April 22, 2024, 12:31:34 PMThe issue with '55 Sabres is half of them internally were aluminum and half steel-the so-called "split rim" design. Probably not as strong which probably explains why my research indicates that there were 2 types of '55 Sabres, each having a different number of internal rivets
It's what I tried to explain in my previous message. Obviously, you can explain facts better than me!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadman-iac

Bill,
 Since the wheel is made in 2 pieces as Clay has shown, the repair can still be difficult. It all depends on how you want it done.
 It can be ground out and welded, then machined, but if it's been chromed from the factory, it may have to be taken apart in order to be re-chromed.
 If it's just highly polished, then no, it wouldn't need to be taken apart.
 Just something to consider if you decide to get it fixed.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on April 22, 2024, 12:47:20 PMIt's what I tried to explain in my previous message. Obviously, you can explain facts better than me!

But you are at least bilingual Roger. I can only communicate in English, though the wife says I am bilingual as I speak both English and profanity, (sometimes).  :)  Clay/Lexi

Gary Evans

Thank you gentleman for taking the time to help me understand the situation. I think I'll head over to the wanted section, place an add, and see what if anything is available. I sill may take lexi up on his generous offer, but would like to have 4 matching. Bill Evans

Also, if anyone has a single 41098, please message me.

Lexi

Quote from: Gary Evans on April 22, 2024, 06:36:22 PMThank you gentleman for taking the time to help me understand the situation. I think I'll head over to the wanted section, place an add, and see what if anything is available. I sill may take lexi up on his generous offer, but would like to have 4 matching. Bill Evans

Also, if anyone has a single 41098, please privately email at bevans67@hotmail.

Hello Gary. Not sure how versed you are in this CLC Forum, but as of May 1st outsiders (non-CLC members) will be restricted from posting on this site, but you will still be able to read it. Don't see a CLC # beside your name. So presumeably if your ad is running at that time you will not be able to respond to those who may have a part for you, via a post in this Forum. Perhaps your father is a member? Think they are asking $25 for a yearly membership. If Dad and/or the family plans on keeping the car, you may want to consider joining. Another member recently said that this Forum is "The best tool in the toolchest". Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

Don't forget that posting your email address for all to see is asking for Spammers to contact you, as many have found out.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on April 22, 2024, 04:49:22 PMI am bilingual as I speak both English and profanity, (sometimes).  :)  Clay/Lexi

Lol!! I gotta remember that one. My wife will get a kick out of it.
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Quote from: Cadman-iac on April 22, 2024, 08:54:48 PMLol!! I gotta remember that one. My wife will get a kick out of it.

I can't take credit for that one. If memory serves, it was the Canadian Hockey great Gordie Howie (of the Detroit Red Wings), who was quoted as saying that. Not sure if he borrowed it from someone else. Clay/Lexi

Lexi

Quote from: Gary Evans on April 22, 2024, 06:36:22 PMThank you gentleman for taking the time to help me understand the situation. I think I'll head over to the wanted section, place an add, and see what if anything is available. I sill may take lexi up on his generous offer, but would like to have 4 matching. Bill Evans

Also, if anyone has a single 41098, please privately email at.....

Gary I wrote down your email in case you decide to delete it due to spammer idiots. In time they will be all over you like a cheap suit. Check the comments above posted by the Moderator. That nonsense is one of the main reasons for the CLC Forum restrictions that will be taking effect May 1st. Sad to say.  Clay/Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Lexi on April 22, 2024, 04:49:22 PMBut you are at least bilingual Roger. I can only communicate in English, though the wife says I am bilingual as I speak both English and profanity, (sometimes).  :)  Clay/Lexi
I can that too. And I can understand/speak German too!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101