News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Recent posts

For Sale - Cars / Re: WTS: 1964 Sedan Deville
Last post by Big Fins - Yesterday at 02:13:53 PM
It appears to be a clean car. The pictures are teasers. I didn't read the description. Need lot's more pix to a serious buyer.

Ya know what else that car needs to give it 'curb appeal'? Whitewall tires. They don't have to be factory correct, just whitewalls.
Hello Andy, Let me throw in my five cents. A compression test with a cold engine is something to start with. To determine if low compression is due to a sticking or leaking valve or to a bad piston or rings you can spray oil on top of the piston. If the reading with oil is higher then the first test without oil then you have a worn out piston or rings. If the test with oil is the same as in the first test then you have to determine witch valve is leaking/sticking. The second test you can perform is a cylinder leak down test. You have to make a test nipple that you can screw in the spark plug hole. Connect a hose with a pressure regulator to that nipple. Make sure that the piston in the cylinder you want to test, is at top dead center with both valves closed. Now you can turn up the pressure regulator gently to allow compressed air into the cylinder. 29 PSI max will do the trick.
Now if you hear escaping air in the carburetor you know that the intake valve is leaking/sticking. On the other end when you hear the same noise at your tail pipe you know that an exhaust valve is leaking.
Hope this helps to solve your problem.

Matern Harmsel
CLC 15331
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Another ill transmission
Last post by TJ Hopland - Yesterday at 01:57:52 PM
Is it possible that that broken snap ring was being used as a shim?
Hello Carl, to see if you have the correct fire wall isolator go to the webside of Quiet Ride Solutions.
At their home page click on GM cars, then Cadillac and scroll down the list until you see the pictures of the fire wall isolators. https://www.quietride.com/web/viewer.html?file=https://www.quietride.com/catalogpdfs/cadillac_fw_catalog.pdf
I've done business with them on several occasions and always with a good result.

Sincerely,
Matern Harmsel
CLC 15331
Restoration Corner / Re: Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis
Last post by Clewisiii - Yesterday at 01:40:12 PM
Cadillac sellers want $11 for one of these oil breather decals.

Bobs Autobilia Buick seller wants $3. But even buying four does not meet minimum order price.

I will need to look through the site to see if there is other things I can use.

Screenshot_20240517-133800.jpg
For Sale - Cars / Re: 1973 Fleetwood Brougham, N...
Last post by Bryan J Moran - Yesterday at 01:39:35 PM
I think we all agree it's just a nice car and mileage helps to know, but condition is excellent, and hopefully there are other records to support mileage.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Another ill transmission
Last post by 1959Fleetwood - Yesterday at 01:21:21 PM
Hello Roger, I have the original Kent-Moore tool for measuring the front end play witch i bought many years ago in the USA. The one you've send to the Netherlands went to a different person.

I recently crossed the English Channel to France and back on the car ferry. On the return journey, whilst booking in I noticed a sign that said all EVs and Hybrids must be brought to the ferry operator's attention. I asked why and was told that they had to be loaded in a safe area because the self ignite and the fires can't be put out. I'm guessing the safe area is on the outside at the front of the loading area where they can be dumped in the drink should they catch fire.
General Discussion / Re: The Real cost of operating...
Last post by Clewisiii - Yesterday at 12:52:50 PM
Now before I bought my current car. I was seriously looking at EVs. I almost put a deposit down.

But in calculating my costs there was one thing that stopped me.

Insurance rates.

The rate would be near double what I was currently paying. And I think a lot of that is due to fear of costs on the part of the insurance companies.

Tesla started their own insurance program that was a lot cheaper. But it is not available in Michigan yet. So I could not go for that.
General Discussion / Re: Sauls Autotek?
Last post by 71 Fleetwood - Yesterday at 12:50:28 PM
Hi Mike - Sorry for the slow response.  I bought a '71 Fleetwood from Bring a Trailer in April 2021.  It arrived in May 2021.  I took the car right away to the emissions test station, where it failed so I took it to Saul's at the old location.  They treated me fine and the cost was okay for a points, plugs, timing job.  They replaced the spark plug wires with the only set available (yeah, Covid) which did the job but I replaced with correct. 

I didn't know that Saul's does restoration.  I have stuff that still needs attention - fuel lines, a/c, so if you do proceed with Bessie any feedback would be appreciated.

Richard