News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: The Real cost of operating...
Last post by David King (kz78hy) - May 19, 2024, 10:27:18 AM
I suspect that the tire selected/developed for the specific car matters more than the powertrain spinning it.  I have a 2012 Chevrolet Volt that I've had since new and I just put on its 3rd set of tires.  Both sets of tires I bought were the exact ones that came on it when new.  The set I put on now will be last and they went out of production and supposedly I have one of the last sets which were out there. 

Two sets of tires were consumed at 140k miles, so average 70k/set, not bad in my book.  The first set was replaced at around 60k and the last set at 80k or in that ball park.

EV's weight more for the same size of ICE vehicle today, but not necessarily crazy.  Our 5 and 6 thousand pound Cadillac's are the same weights as Electric CUV/SUV and our tires are nothing special.

If the tires wear out early, it is because other criteria had priority over life.  Typically, a performance, soft tire wears quickly so the those attributes had to be needed when the manufacturer chose them for their vehicle.

My Volt has been the best car I've ever owned.  Virtually no issues in those 140k miles.  3 oil changes, a set of rear brakes, fronts are original.  It has been a great car.
Quote from: alzink on May 17, 2024, 11:16:55 AMgreat advice
fortunately the rebuilder is a solid guy
So was mine. He came highly recommended........ But he had cancer and died shortly after the engine was built. I got it out of there just before he died. He didn't do what I wanted, but it was more important to get the engine out before he died.
So, anything can happen.
General Discussion / Re: 1932 Cadillac V16 scale mo...
Last post by Roger Zimmermann - May 19, 2024, 08:28:54 AM
One step forward, 5 steps back...Even if I have some experience with brass, errors are always possible.
The first error was that the front plate for the cowl was too narrow at the top. I attempted to correct this error when silver soldering the first elements to that plate, but, obviously, I did some more with the inclination, and so on. Finally, the assembly was too low on one side and the whole was crooked.
What to do? Begin from point zero? I imagined that I could unsolder the latest additions but this is not without risk. Finally, the first element had to go away.
After using a hammer, I could correct more or less the shape of the cowl. I will do a new front plate and adjust it to the remaining bit of the old one and soft solder it to the assembly. When no more soldering will have to be done, I will use some filler to hide the imperfections.

628 Big damage.jpg
For Sale - Parts / Re: Over 50 Cadillac Parts Car...
Last post by Vince Taliano #13852 - May 19, 2024, 08:11:44 AM
OK, last call to ship parts to Pennsylvania for the Grand National in June. Marc will be back in Nevada soon and then on-site in Gettysburg with multiple vendor spaces. Feel free to call him at 301-672-1000.
For Sale - Cars / Re: 1940 60 Special $19,800 ...
Last post by James Landi - May 19, 2024, 07:38:41 AM
Bryan-- the addition of ps and ac adds a great deal of appeal for me... leaves me wondering if the radiator and systems were adapted to keep keep that engine from burning exhaust valves under additional load.  I agree regarding the price, as you say, "inbetweener" (great concept)... if this car could be further adapted to take on contemporary highway driving, it would be a wonderful way to see the USA>  \Thanks for posting -- James
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Upper Ball Joint Boots 0r ...
Last post by Clewisiii - May 19, 2024, 06:40:03 AM
I replaced the upper ball joints on my 61 twice just because I wanted to recoat the frame. The second set ended up being a different brand then the first. The boots were different between the two. One would not fit the other.
Last post by Cadman-iac - May 19, 2024, 04:49:07 AM
  Steve,

Big Fins is correct, you should consider replacing the upper joints on your car.
 The way Cadillac designed the suspension on these the upper joint is used to adjust the alignment with an eccentric cam integrated into the joint.

Rick
Last post by Big Fins - May 19, 2024, 04:27:03 AM
I would say to start an  on-line search for the dust boots. If you don't know how, I would also suggest getting the upper joints at least looked at before just buying boots. They may be worn to the point of replacement.
General Discussion / Re: Time running out to regist...
Last post by Art Director - May 19, 2024, 01:38:15 AM
See message above
Technical / Authenticity / Upper Ball Joint Boots 0r Cove...
Last post by Steve W - May 19, 2024, 12:48:11 AM
The upper ball joints on my 68 deVille are fine, but the rubber boots are worn/torn, allowing the grease to exit any time it wants to.

I'm utilizing the seach feature here and don't see an answer. Looking online too and can't find anything...

Are there replacement boots available? Or do you have to replace the entire ball joint just because the rubber boot is shot?