News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado headlight improvement

Started by 7gen, March 11, 2024, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finndorado

Quote from: winger888 on March 12, 2024, 04:02:44 AMIn Europe the sealed beams are not allowed so all American cars get new lamps from Hella or Bosch. To change them is not a big deal and they come with a regular H4 halogen bulb. Better than sealed beam but still not good.

A while ago Osram and Phillips came out with LED bulbs with a H4 socket and exactly the same bulb size like the regular H4 bulbs. So it is a simple plug and play game.

These LEDs have 230% (!!!) more light than the regular H4; last forever and use less current.

I have them in my 76 Eldorado and my 79 Lincoln. Hi Beam is now like the fireworks.

It is worth the "Hassle" ! 

Hi Peter !
Where did you get your lamps ? -76 Eldorado has square ones but my -73 has round ones (normal selaed beams).
So you don`t have to do anything else than change the lamp and then put an Osram led bulb, correct ?
I would like to give it a try.

Thanks
Mika
1973 Eldorado convertible

winger888

Hi Mika,
that is correct. My Eldorado has square and the Lincoln has round lamps. Just make sure you have the H4 bulb lamps and sockets.
I got my bulbs from Sebastian but I guess you can easy order them online.
Regards Peter
76 Eldorado Bicentennial
79 Lincoln Town Car Collectors Series

Finndorado

Quote from: winger888 on April 18, 2024, 02:10:41 AMHi Mika,
that is correct. My Eldorado has square and the Lincoln has round lamps. Just make sure you have the H4 bulb lamps and sockets.
I got my bulbs from Sebastian but I guess you can easy order them online.
Regards Peter
Thanks Peter, but I meant the lamps, to replace the sealed beam.
Where did you find your own ones ?
Mika
1973 Eldorado convertible

Big Fins

If you plan on using halogens, put relays in the area of the headlights themselves. Halogens use some serious power and the relays will pick up the load off of the headlight switch and the dimmer switch.

LED's are great, but look ugly as sin. They also cause a white out when driving in fog. Incandescent bulbs are the best for foggy driving. I have the regular halogen sealed beams in mine. Aimed properly, there are no issues with night driving.

For maintaining usage of the fiber optic monitors, if the little rubber sections are missing in the headlight plugs, cut a 3/8" section of 5/16" vacuum line and as you are plugging the pigtail into the rear of the bulb, slip the section of vacuum line right into the center of the plug and press it home. While you have the plugs off of the bulbs, take a toothbrush and clean up the ends of the fiber optics. It makes the hood and rear deck monitors so much brighter.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Big Fins on April 19, 2024, 11:59:27 AMIf you plan on using halogens, put relays in the area of the headlights themselves. Halogens use some serious power and the relays will pick up the load off of the headlight switch and the dimmer switch

What year and model did you experience this 'serious power' draw when compared to the OE bulbs on?   I keep seeing that statement and assume its true but I don't think anyone has ever came up with details.  In the 70's GM cars at least the bulbs I have personally measured there was no significant difference in the draw between the types.

Yes it will reduce the draw if you install a relay but does it really gain you anything vs adding extra parts?  I would argue in 70's GMs no gains.  I'm open to hear about other years where it is an issue?   Maybe in the context of outside the USA where they are fitting bulbs no originally designed for USA cars I could see the draw being different.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Big Fins on April 19, 2024, 11:59:27 AMFor maintaining usage of the fiber optic monitors, if the little rubber sections are missing in the headlight plugs, cut a 3/8" section of 5/16" vacuum line and as you are plugging the pigtail into the rear of the bulb, slip the section of vacuum line right into the center of the plug and press it home. While you have the plugs off of the bulbs, take a toothbrush and clean up the ends of the fiber optics. It makes the hood and rear deck monitors so much brighter.

This only works if you have a fairly old production bulb that still has that nipple on the back, or have you found a reliable source for bulbs that still have the glass nipple?  Last time I was working on a possibly 80 Cadillac I tried some different brands and kept getting identical bulbs in different boxes that had an white opaque plastic plug instead of the clear glass nipple and they just didn't let much light out.  For sure you had to get it as clean as possible to have a chance. 

I will have to look but I think the last square bulbs I bought that plastic plug was black so no light at all gets out, glad those were not for a Cadillac that had monitors.

It may be getting to the point where someone will have to come up with a likely LED light that will shine in the optic so at least it will work.  Won't tell you that your real bulbs are working but at least you will still have an idea what you have or have not selected to be on or off.

Big Fins

I remember the switch on my '59. It would get hot as hell with the halogen bulbs but remain just warm to the touch with the incandescent lights. That thought always carried over to other cars that I would change the bulbs out in. I have no solid numbers as far as amperage draw. But I can really feel the difference in the switch temperatures.

Could it be weak connections? Maybe, not all that sure. I clean them up with contact cleaner and then put them together with dielectric grease. That really helps keep them clean. It sure made a difference in the windshield wipers in my recent '69. They would never park. One of the member did a write up in the S/S about it, I tried it and they worked just like new.

The older sealed beams did have that glass 'tit' that really helped the monitors. The newer ones are mostly just flat. That's why I use the vacuum line. It channels the light to the fiber optic cord. It's not nearly as bright as the older bulbs, but it still works. At night you can see them okay, but during the daytime, it's pretty much useless.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

Originally at least on the 70's and 80's cars it seemed like it was a foam rubber sort of material that made up that sleeve so if it was even there the first time you had to change a bulb the next time it likely just was too brittle to re use.   I too used hose. I think I was several Cadillacs in before I got one that still had the sleeve in there so I didn't even know it was a thing for ever.  I would guess it was mostly there to try and keep that area clean. 

winger888

Quote from: Finndorado on April 18, 2024, 03:30:10 AMThanks Peter, but I meant the lamps, to replace the sealed beam.

Hi Mika, just look for Bosch or Hella. Sorry for responding so late. Had the Eldorado out for a wonderful trip to Tuscany/Italy

To make it clear again because of other comments: replacing sealed beams lamps by halogen lamps does draw more amps and may result in malfunctioning including fires.
We are talking LED bulbs not lamps. The appearance is like the original build. 
76 Eldorado Bicentennial
79 Lincoln Town Car Collectors Series