News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 dealer installed AC system

Started by jwwseville60, May 08, 2024, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcroe

Some of those early factory units used almost
the same equipment as the add ons.  I used a
couple of them with good results for many years. 
The important thing was to adequately upgrade
the cooling system, basically to late 70s
standards.  Bigger radiator, overflow tank,
fan, and a fan shroud.  Bruce Roe

RFCaddy1977

https://www.drukautosales.com/vehicles/207/1956-cadillac-eldorado-seville

This car appears to have a dealer installed AC system.  There is no "K' on the data plate.

Robert

J. Gomez

@Clay, @rick,

FYI

The one I had measured 22"x2" and it seat flush with the inner front support panel lip, the rubber strip is similar to the new masticated rubber material.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Didn't the actual Factory AC cars have bigger springs up front, and a different rear end to account for the extra weight and drag on the engine?
Thanks
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

RFCaddy1977

Yes, when I replaced the front and rear springs on my 56 Seville, there were 2 choices - AC or no AC (mine has AC).   I assume the dealer would have upgraded these if a customer had AC installed.

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373 on Yesterday at 08:58:15 AMDidn't the actual Factory AC cars have bigger springs up front, and a different rear end to account for the extra weight and drag on the engine?
Thanks

I would think that it would have heavier springs in the rear, but I don't have any non-AC cars to compare to, other than the 55, and it's a different body style than my 56 coupe.
 I do know that there's an 1/8" shim on top of the right front coil spring because of the weight of the compressor and related hardware.

Rick

CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Lexi

Quote from: J. Gomez on Yesterday at 08:50:50 AM@Clay, @rick,

FYI

The one I had measured 22"x2" and it seat flush with the inner front support panel lip, the rubber strip is similar to the new masticated rubber material.

HTH

Here is what was advertised by the vendor. Look them up and enquire as to whether they still offer this item. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on Yesterday at 11:47:14 AMHere is what was advertised by the vendor. Look them up and enquire as to whether they still offer this item. Clay/Lexi

From looking at this, I can make my own without any problem. Like all of these shields, baffles, and splash guards, the hardest part is putting the damned staples in.
 Thanks for the information though, I'll give them a look at least.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"