News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Synthetic Oil from Valvoline

Started by Patrick Fant, February 16, 2024, 02:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Fant

At oil change time, is it still preferred to stay away from synthetic oil?  In my '56 we try to use 1qt Valvoline 2-50 and 4 qts 30 weight.  Is this still the best recipe? pat
Patrick Fant
Houston
CLC #31723

TJ Hopland

If that has been working so far might as well stick with it.  The only thing that would have changed over the last 10 or so years would be things like zinc so if that was the goal you may need to re evaluate but otherwise should still work as it did before. 

I don't often hear about mixing like that.  What's the theory?  You are creating a 27w-37?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Patrick Fant

Thx TJ - yes I see what you're saying about 27W-37.  Sounds weird now that I  am thinking about it.  Think I will just stay with 30w.  But maybe it is OK to go synthetic?  I do however add a bottle of Lucas Zinc additive to cover the need for zinc issue. pat
Patrick Fant
Houston
CLC #31723

Clewisiii

I am fine with Synthetic. But I have no real personal long term use data.

IMG_20240216_173439832.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

dadscad

I've been using Amsoil in everything I've owned since 2002. Motorcycle, car,truck, tractor, down to handheld 2 stroke equipment. Their products have proven protection for me for hundreds of thousands of miles. Since 2002, I have used their oils in my 63 in every component, motor, transmission, differential and power steering. I have put about 144,000 miles overall on the 63 with about 90,000 of them using Amsoil. Their Z-ROD 10-30 is what I currently use for the 63 with a Wix filter. It's a good combination.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

35-709

Quote from: Patrick Fant on February 16, 2024, 04:53:19 PMI do however add a bottle of Lucas Zinc additive to cover the need for zinc issue. pat

Too much zinc can be as bad for your engine as too little.  Be aware of how much zinc is in the oil you are using before adding an additional whole bottle of ZDDP.  1/2 bottle may be plenty enough, or none at all.  Just throwing ZDDP in figuring "if a little is good, more is better" is a good way to get in trouble.  Just a cautionary note. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Patrick Fant

That's a good caution about guessing on zinc levels and the price you might pay for using too much.  Never thought of that.  I think I am going to use a non-zinc 30w and just my Lucas Zinc additive only.  That seems to be working now so I should stick with it.  Will probably see if I can find the Amsoil product.  Texas summer heat is abut to hit. pat
Patrick Fant
Houston
CLC #31723

Dave Shepherd

Not sure any oil is completely "non zinc", check into this on your brand 30w.

Jon S

I use Pennsoil 10W/40 with the addition of ZDDP for the phosphorus and zinc requirement. There is no need to use synthetic oil in the 1950's cars. Synthetic oil didn't even exist back then. I equate it to natural rubber in tires vs synthetic rubber. The natural rubber never cracked within 6 months.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Clewisiii

Quote from: Jon S on February 17, 2024, 01:16:57 PMI use Pennsoil 10W/40 with the addition of ZDDP for the phosphorus and zinc requirement. There is no need to use synthetic oil in the 1950's cars. Synthetic oil didn't even exist back then. I equate it to natural rubber in tires vs synthetic rubber. The natural rubber never cracked within 6 months.

Wether it existed or not is irrelevant to me. ATF back then had Sperm Whale oil in it. Not any more.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Jon S

Quote from: Clewisiii on February 17, 2024, 02:01:12 PMWether it existed or not is irrelevant to me. ATF back then had Sperm Whale oil in it. Not any more.

ATF with sperm whale was fantastic lubricant. 1950's cars were designed for Dino oil.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

dadscad

Just because Dino oil was the only lubricant available in the 50's, doesn't mean that modern lubricants are not suitable for use in the vintage vehicle. Even your Pennzoil 10-40 is a far superior lubricant than what was available when your 58 was new. Even though synthetic lubricants were not produced for automotive use in the 50's doesn't mean that current synthetic motor oils are not suitable to use in a vintage engine. A quality full synthetic motor oil is far superior to a currently refined petroleum motor oil.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

One thing I don't think can be gained by using synthetics in a old engine is the extended change intervals.  I think those more came from the newer tighter engine designs with tighter controls. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I just don't see the need for the extra cost. Let's face it, most of us put 2ish K miles/ year on these. Sometimes more, sometimes less. That doesn't even hit the original oil change interval. For me, I just don't want to leave oil in the car for years without changing it.... Maybe it's an old mindset.
Our 55 leaks so much that I couldn't afford to keep synthetic in it.
But, to each his own.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Seville Life

I've always understood synthetic oil leaked around the rubber seals in older engines?

I use Valvoline VR1 20W/50 in a '78 Seville Elegante that does regular 2400 mile round trips to the French Riviera driving between 65 and 75mph. It is superb and has some of the most highly regarded base-oil in the industry. Typically I'm doing 4500 miles a year.

Remember as well in dear old Europe we don't have zinc in the oil, we are not allowed?
Paul Bedford

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Seville Life on February 19, 2024, 07:49:12 PM....Remember as well in dear old Europe we don't have zinc in the oil, we are not allowed?
G'day Paul,

Be interesting how long your engine will last without any Zinc, as it is necessary for Flat Tappet engines.  OR, does Synthetic Oil also protect the Lifters and Cam.   These pictured parts came from using no Zinc when the owner decided years ago to go for non-zinc oil.   The wear was horrendous.   The damage was only found following the owner complaining about rattling and poor performance in one engine, then another of his did the same.

If this is the case, then I am swapping over to Synthetic.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dadscad

Amsoil recommends using one of their high Zinc and phosphorus oil formulas for the flat tappet engines. Their Z-Rod line is specifically formulated for vintage engines.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Seville Life

Rather ill-informed thing to say?

There must be tens of thousands of classic cars including Cadillacs and Rolls-Royces with flat tappet lifters across Britain and Europe running perfectly well on very good quality oil.
Paul Bedford

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

So, what effect, if any, will zinc have on cars with cats? Say a 79 Deville?
Won't the zinc trash the cat?

Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Jon S

Quote from: Jeff Rose CLC #28373 on February 21, 2024, 09:10:50 AMSo, what effect, if any, will zinc have on cars with cats? Say a 79 Deville?
Won't the zinc trash the cat?

Jeff R

Doubtful unless the engine burns oil.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT