News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 DeVille Convertible restoration continues

Started by billyoung, February 23, 2024, 06:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyoung

Getting there. In one week she goes in for the new convertible top and then finally the door panels and rear seat go back in.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Nice! And I love the color to. Lots of options?

billyoung

Thank You, Actually One reason I bought this car was that the only options are Climate Control which works, AM/FM Stereo, Auto Dimming and Sentinel, and Six Way Seat. I did not want a loaded car as 55 years later none of that stuff works and you can spend a fortune trying to get it all working. I especially did not want a car with Tilt and Tel wheel as the turn indicator switches for those are made of uobtanium.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: billyoung on February 23, 2024, 05:45:42 PMThank You, Actually One reason I bought this car was that the only options are Climate Control which works, AM/FM Stereo, Auto Dimming and Sentinel, and Six Way Seat. I did not want a loaded car as 55 years later none of that stuff works and you can spend a fortune trying to get it all working. I especially did not want a car with Tilt and Tel wheel as the turn indicator switches for those are made of uobtanium. 

Just don't use the turn signal!

Yeah, those are Hard find.

But all my options work, Even the Cruise Control. But my car is not loaded out too much. I think auto dimming with that sensor in the grill getting road spray on it all the time is more troublesome. And level control - Just ask Mark D about that He has a 1968 Fleetwood Brougham and it has all of that stuff on it.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

James Landi

" I did not want a loaded car as 55 years later none of that stuff works and you can spend a fortune trying to get it all working. I especially did not want a car with Tilt and Tel wheel as the turn indicator switches for those are made of uobtanium."

I'm of the same "mind" Bill.  Every day I use my base model 2006 SRX up here in Maine, I thank heaven it doesn't have a sun roof, an interactive screen, active magnetic ride control...  amazes me that I stupidly obsess about minor options that are broken.  With nearly 170000 miles, it provides a comfortable, quiet ride ,and I love it even more because nothing major has failed after 17 years of service.  James 

Steve W

You car looks great Bill! Good work!

15 years ago when I was "Cadillac Shopping" I had done a bunch of research, and I had a pretty good idea of what options were important to me. Tilt/telescopic column/6 way power seat combo was definitely what I wanted because, due to my height, I knew I would be mounting the seat farther back. I use my tilt/tele everytime I get in/out of the car. Thankfully, my turn signals work just fine! (knock on wood). But thanks to you mentioning it, I'll keep a closer eye on it!

But my twilight sentinal doesnt work, won't turn the lights on or off, so I just use my headlight switch manually, although I wish my sentinal would work. Also, my clock doesn't work, but I think I can either fix it or replace it. It bugs me when something doesn't work!

Everyting else works just fine. I don't have Cruise Control, and I don't miss it at all. I don't even use it in the newer cars we have. Los Angeles'"permanent rush hour" traffic sorta defeats the purpose of having it.  I do have front disc brakes though!

Please keep us posted on your car's progress!   
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

billyoung

Thank You Guys, I am glad that your T&T turn switch works Steve. That is great. I am doing an amateur restoration where my labor is the lions share of it minus the actual paint work, recovering seats, and new top. When completed the car will be a driver quality job. I had to quit a particular Facebook site because when I explained when asked how I repaired the rust issues I said that I cut the rust away and then repaired with 22 ga. sheetmetal using Panelbond similar to how much of the new car bodies are assembled, I received hateful responses because I was not able to find anyone to weld on the repairs even though I said that I liberally applied POR 15 to the back of all the repairs. One thing that was said to me was they hoped I never sold the car that was essentially junk to some unsuspecting individual. I confess I do get sick of the hate.