News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1981 Deville - What part is this?

Started by adam-newton, March 18, 2024, 07:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam-newton

Hello all,

Just trying to identify this part on my 1981 Cadillac Deville. I have identified it as number 2 in the photo attached. It is a non serviceable diaphragm currently leaking coolant.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Adam

adam-newton

Pic now attached lol

smokuspollutus

That's an AIR diverter valve. To supply oxygen to your exhaust manifolds and catalytic converter to lower emissions. Somebody really screwed up if its leaking coolant! Get that heater hose off of there!

adam-newton

Thanks.

So section 1 has air lines to it. Section 2 has hot water lines on it.

Are you saying that's not right? Does anyone have a diagram or is familiar with the 864 V8 set up.

Thanks

adam-newton

In related news. We fired up the car today. Air pimp had ceased. Pulled it off. It's full of coolant. Something ain't right here. Help wanted.

The Tassie Devil(le)

That isn't good, as there is the possibility that you could have backwards flowing of the coolant into the Exhaust system, or even the Exhaust Ports in the Cylinder Heads.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

smokuspollutus

Holy moly. Maybe this car was a mosquito fogger in a past life?

The heater hoses should flow from the cylinder head to the heater core, and then back to the return at the radiator.

The Diverter valve should have an input from the smog pump, and 3 outputs-a stub hose to the air cleaner, a hose to the check valve attached to a pipe leading to the catalytic converter, and a hose to the check valve attached to the exhaust AIR distribution block. And a vacuum supply line.

Neither has anything to do with the other. Good luck!

adam-newton

Thanks guys!

This has all been incredibly helpful.

@smokuspollutus
Thanks so much. Sounds self-explanatory. Just in case, do you have any diagrams for this and do you know of any guru's in Australia for these cars that I can get in contact with?

Thanks so much.

adam-newton

This has now been solved. Thanks so much for your help.

More info here

1981 Cadillac Vacuum and hot water configurations