News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

I have found that modern automotive V belts for some reason take 2 or 3 re tensions over a few hundred miles before the seem to settle in and stay where you set them.  Industrial or lawn and garden belts don't seem to do that.  Dunno why.
General Discussion / Re: Clicking Sound Dashboard
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 11:22:47 PM
I have had mine rigged up for a while but I seem to recall if you turn the dial all the way down to 60 and put the mode to vent that will reduce the clicking. 

Mine has a bad transducer and amplifier and during the testing I discovered a workaround.  There is a vacuum servo down in the programmer which is the control box down on the ductwork on the passenger side.  If you disconnect and plug the vacuum line feeding that and connect a hand vacuum pump/gauge you can manually control the temp and blower speed. 

Here is Tim's site.  Kinda old school but his contact info is there.
https://cadillactim.com/#manuals       
I've had a similar issue off and on over the years. I've never figured it out, but I'm convinced there is some feedback that comes through the wiring from the voltage regulator to the temperature gauge. I say this because on occasion I have observed the ammeter shoots pretty high and stays to the "C" while at the same time the temperature pegs up to "HOT". If I get out and rap against the voltage regulator cover, they both drop down to their normal, as expected readings. If I swap out the voltage regulator, the problem goes away...for a while, but invariably it returns some months later.

I spent a whole summer chasing an overheating problem that I now don't really think existed other than this glitch.

If anyone has any ideas what may be going on, I for one would be all ears.
General Discussion / Re: Clicking Sound Dashboard
Last post by ELDERDADO - Today at 11:09:05 PM
Both would be nice, but I get it. It's old. Like me.
 I click too when I walk. I will try the troubleshoot guides. Thank You.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: '61 Water Pump
Last post by SteveB3155 - Today at 11:01:35 PM
Quote from: Jon S on Today at 09:43:14 AMI totally agree. Arthur Gould is the guy.

Funny thing is, the guys that run this business are NOT named Arthur Gould.  They bought the company several years ago.  One time when I dropped a pump off there for a repair, I asked "who is Arthur Gould?"  They said they had no idea!
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1940 Lasalle Carpet
Last post by 39LaSalleDriver - Today at 10:57:32 PM
Coming in late to the party here. I agonized about all of this some time back on my 39 model 5019. As I recall, current info indicated that brown was the only color on those front floor mats but I make no claims to be an expert. I too installed the uncut Buick mat from Bob's Automobilia and trimmed it to fit. I then cut out carpet pieces to glue onto the rubber. I also trimmed it to fit somewhat under the front seat so that no metal or underlayment was exposed.

As to over or under the sill...I chose to let it lay over. I think it looks better and makes it easier to access the battery panel. It's hard enough to get in there to begin with, and there's no way I'm going to remove the sill plate or try to feed the rubber back under it every time I want to access the battery (which is pretty much every time I drive it).

General Discussion / Re: Road trip!
Last post by Carfreak - Today at 10:38:40 PM
Geoff,

Sounds like a fun time!  Drive safe and enjoy. 

Feel free to share pics when you are back home. 
Technical / Authenticity / Squeaking belts on '61 Deville
Last post by bcroe - Today at 10:17:37 PM
The gen pulley can tend to slip after starting,
trying to put back the charge the starter used. 
Check its dia, they are small but vary in size. 
The larger the pulley, the less likely to slip. 
Bruce Roe
General Discussion / Road trip!
Last post by 35-709 - Today at 09:55:51 PM
Getting Big Red ready to do a weeklong organized road rally (Freedom Road Rally) for stock or modified older cars, starting (this time) in Texarkana, Arkansas.  Leaving Vero Beach, FL this coming Thursday with two other "resto-mods", a '56 Chevy PU and a '39 Chevy PU (all of us members of the local AACA region), and meeting up with another local AACA friend out there in his '49 Chevy Fleetline coupe who is leaving tomorrow to do some other touring on the way. 
~ 2200 miles out and back and another 900 or so on the tour itself.  The kind of touring I enjoy and one of the reasons I built Big Red.  Should bring B.R.'s mileage up to about 37/38,000 since finished.  B.R. has never let me down or stranded, minor glitches now and then, but nothing that ever prevented him from getting me home no matter where we were.

The old boy has been everything I wanted or hoped he would be.  He has driven my wife and me in air conditioned comfort from Florida to the St. Augustine GN, the Boston GN, the Lake George, NY GN and the Washington, DC GN.  Big Red won 2nd place in Modified at the Washington show, not bad for a driver.  He has been to Indianapolis to see my great-grandson and then do the Frog Follies car show up that way (https://frogfollies.org/) on the way home.  Will also be doing the "Cruisin the Coast" rod run (https://cruisinthecoast.com/) next October, gotta do this stuff while I still can.

This will be the third Freedom Road Rally B.R. has been on, first was an Adirondacks tour, last year was Ohio which the organizer is repeating this year.  Missed the Branson, Missouri tour a couple of years ago. You all can check out the Freedom Road Rally at   www.freedomroadrally.com  Probably not too late to get on any of them except possibly the one coming up next week.  For those who like to drive your stock  Cadillacs, or resto-mods, these tours are great fun and learning experiences.

Big Red behind my '73 Caribou, now owned by my sister and brother-in-law, at the beginning of the Adirondack Road Rally.  The temporary signs on the side of the cars show us to be participants in the road rally.
IMG_0613.jpg

Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1940 Lasalle Carpet
Last post by wheikkila - Today at 09:49:21 PM
When I purchased my 1940 model 52. It was from the second owner. It had 77,000 original miles. The mat was under the seat and scuff plate. I had to remove the scuff plate. So i could fold back the mat to get to the battery. Located under the drives seat.
           Thanks Wayne