News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Another Body shop story

Started by 60eldo, September 20, 2019, 08:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Brians suggestion. Maybe take this body, which I have about $20,000 in it, and put it here, the body is good, great floors, roof. Would it still be considered an eldo?
Jon. Kluczynski

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Put the body where? On the frame of the Seville?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

60eldo

Jon. Kluczynski

Rockfish39

Quote from: Chuck Patton on September 21, 2019, 04:46:35 AM
As an Appraiser from your pictures I see north of 100k to do your 6437H. This includes paint, interior, glass, rubber, drivetrain, electrical, trim, tires and wheel covers.
I recommend that you:
(1) Sell your cars
(2) Buy Brian's Seville

If you do not correct your course NOW you will drown.

BINGO!       I'm not an appraiser, BUT every single word that Chuck is saying IS TRUE. If your heart is totally into a '60 Eldo, then buy the best example of that car that you can find out west and afford now.
To continue with what you have is for sure a $100K ++ proposition

Rock  8)

Rockfish39

Quote from: cadillac ken on September 21, 2019, 09:46:17 AM
I've been quoted $6000 to rechrome my 1937 Series sixty grill and the left and right hood side panel inserts-- and these parts a VERY nice with no pitting anywhere. 

You can easily imagine what the chrome bill alone would be for your car.

As a Restoration shop owner for near 30 years now I agree with all those here with their assessment of your project Eldo.  Your car will cost over $100K to do.  My ballpark estimate is right in line with others who estimate your car's rust repair, bodywork, and paint alone at over $50k.  Probably well over that considering floors, rockers, misc tabs, inner pieces and panels not available and needing to be fabricated for structural integrity.

Not to be a wise guy, BUT... why or why didn't you get (even pay) a qualified resto shop to look at the car BEFORE the decision to purchase was made.

As a shop owner for over 30 years I've probably talked customers out of doing more cars than I actually have done.   ;D
Every single person on this forum NEEDS to listen to Ken Caskey !!!!
He, for sure, knows exactly what he is talking about, being the owner/operator of Kid Darrin in Melbourne, FLA. Which, a shop like his, may be blasphemous to some, but NOT to ME... Ken also frequently writes for a local publication here called Mike Kelly's Cruise News, which I have always enjoyed reading his articles...  Look it up on Google, it's easy to find. Like: the top ten things that tell the world you're a car guy, for example??  Nice to see you here Ken

Rock  8)

rwchatham CLC 21892

Jon , first I’ll give credit for wanting to do a restoration, it’s just that you started with the worst example of this model that you could find . The bad part is that you’ve already turned a 16k investment into a 8 k pile of parts . You will lose money on this car but look at it as a small loss and not a huge loss where this car would have taken you . Do not even give another thought of using your 20k coupe as a donor for this car , that would be an expensive donor car . If the colors on Brian’s car are not right for you then wait till the right Seville pops up for you . You could sell your coupe and part out the Seville and when the right Seville comes up you will be ready to make a play for it at that time .
R. Waligora

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

All original '60 ELS just sold at Auburn just shy of $50K which wouldn't scratch the surface and wouldn't begin to compare when finished no matter how expensive the restoration.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/af19/auburn-fall/lots/r0143-1960-cadillac-eldorado-seville/795371

"Buy the best and have no regrets"
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Chuck Patton

Jon

The car that Eric mentioned is Body #384. It is on Ebay with a Buy Now of $69,900.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

60eldo

Chuck thats $100,000 in my money,
Jon. Kluczynski

SixDucks

Jon,

All of the advice given has been sound advice. The Seville you have purchased is going to absolutely consume hours and hours of labor and uncounted stacks of your dollars, and likely a piece or two of sanity.
If your dream car is a '60 Eldorado Seville I would strongly urge you to find a better example. If your dream car is the one you bought then you are going to need to do most of the work yourself.
  Be honest and ask yourself...... " Do I want to work on THIS car? Or do I want to drive a '60 Eldorado Seville? I'm certain that working on it for eons and at huge expense is no match for driving one that requires much less work.
My advice is to reassemble the one you have, make as many improvements as your own efforts will allow, and re-list the car for sale. I would then investigate Brian's '60. I'm certain you will be much happier and likely driving  it much sooner than if you continued on with your current '60.

When I was searching for my last Cadillac I found all kinds of "deals". I started researching cost to correct known issues on the examples of cars I was looking at and the realization was : 1. the only deals were in fact, bad deals. 2. I want to drive it as much as possible and not work on it as much as possible.
I honestly don't know anyone that would rather work on a car than drive their car.
Here is a scenario that I have given thought to......

Me: " How was your weekend?
Friend: "Awsome!"
Me: "What did you do?"
Friend: " I took mom out for breakfast Saturday morning with the top down on the Eldorado. Saturday afternoon I took the Eldorado to a car show, I was the only one there driving a Cadillac! Saturday night I took the kids to get ice cream at the local hot spot, top down of course! Sunday morning cruised to that 50's diner for breakfast. Sunday afternoon I loaded everyone into the car and went to the apple orchard to hangout for awhile.  What about you? How was your weekend?
Me: " Oh, it was fine I guess. I spent the entire weekend in the garage working on the car"
How do imagine your weekends? In the garage watching your money and time dissipate at an alarming rate? Or do you imagine your weekends watching your gas gauge drop as the tiny littleT-Rexes swimming around in the fuel tank get eaten by the V8 under the hood?

What is the story on your Coupe? If your not in love with it why not list it for sale to help offset the cost of your dream car?

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

Bobby B

Quote from: SixDucks on September 21, 2019, 05:39:24 PM
1. the only deals were in fact, bad deals. 2. I want to drive it as much as possible and not work on it as much as possible. I honestly don't know anyone that would rather work on a car than drive their car.

I've also come to the conclusion that basically, there are no deals on anything. Whether it be Cars, Real Estate, Guitars, whatever. If it was such a great deal, it's usually an inside deal to a Family member or friend, so it's most likely already been passed over by others. You just have to do your homework, purchase at a price within the budget, make your peace, and hopefully buyer's remorse doesn't set it. I'm guilty myself of overlooking due to excitement, and wind up in over my head. EVERYBODY has done this in their lifetime.
  I guess I'm going to burst your bubble by letting you know that I actually enjoy working on cars more than driving them. It's the satisfaction of overcoming something. Mind you, I didn't say toiling over a losing proposition for hours on end without any light at the end of the tunnel. In that case, Driving would be more appealing.......
                                                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

SixDucks

Bobby,

No worries you haven't "burst my bubble" you're an anomaly. I get it though, I do enjoy working on my cars, but I much prefer driving them. You remember don't ya..... the first 16 years waiting to drive one. No one I know waits that long to work on one. ( At least not with the same anticipations).

Terry

P.S.
Bobby,

There are still deals to be found when looking for guitars.
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

babywantsbling

Maybe these high cost body shops depends on where you live. I just got my Eldorado out of the body shop today. I had both rear filler fender panels replaced. I bought them myself on eBay.
My body guy charged 200 to install and paint. The paint was 100.
Although my paint on the rest is in very good condition, I asked him what he would charge if I wanted to paint the entire car. His price was 2500
It might be worth shipping it to save the money if it’s that high.

Melinda

Bobby B

Quote from: babywantsbling on September 21, 2019, 10:16:16 PM
My body guy charged 200 to install and paint. The paint was 100.

Those are Third World Country prices maybe around the early 80's......Here in NJ, that's lunch money!
                                                                                                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

babywantsbling

Quote from: Bobby B on September 22, 2019, 12:21:00 AM
Those are Third World Country prices maybe around the early 80's......Here in NJ, that's lunch money!
                                                                                                   Bobby
Not 1980s price, paid that today and I don’t think Pensacola is a third world country: at least not yet.  ;)

Roger Zimmermann

$ 2500.00 to paint a car? I just don't believe it. Or the paint will be nice at 20 meters but not nearer.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

Quote from: babywantsbling on September 22, 2019, 12:57:19 AM

Not 1980s price, paid that today and I don’t think Pensacola is a third world country: at least not yet.  ;)

I'm a little over 100 miles straight across the state. Lemme know when you get it painted, I want to see this for myself.
A shop local to me wanted $500 to R&R the rear fillers, clean them up and paint them. I bought the fronts, the small ones under the headlights and the rears with the license plate filler for $450 from the manufacturer about 5 years back.

I was in the process of replacing the rears when I had to make a move decision and I wasn't going to drive the car 200 miles with nothing there.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

rwchatham CLC 21892

2500 doesn’t even cover the cost of quality materials to do a proper paint job . Is this guys name Earl Scheib by any chance ? 😂
R. Waligora

hornetball

Melinda, I'll bet your car is not full of rust holes.  The starting point makes a huge difference as most of the money is in prep.  Paint costs are much higher than they used to be though.

I'm paying ~$5K for my work (PPG Persian Lime Firemist) which included stripping the car to metal first (exterior surfaces only -- not a "frame-off").  My car was arrow-straight and rust-free but had bad prior paint jobs (crazing/checking).  The body shop felt that stripping first was the safest way to proceed.  http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=154660.msg442322#msg442322

For a simple sand-and-spray paint job, I might be able to approach Melinda's price in my area.  Overhead costs (land/taxes/labor) differ wildly across the country.  My main criteria for a body shop is to find someone that is communicative and enthusiastic about the project and then look at some examples of their work.  Price is secondary.

rwchatham CLC 21892

As with anything as the quality goes up the price goes up . There’s a world of difference between a 20k paint job and a 5k paint job . These cars weren’t what people call laser straight from the factory they have to be worked to be laser straight . Door , hood , fender gaps weren’t precise from the factory they have to be made that way . Paint doesn’t lay super flat out of the gun it has to be worked to that stage after it’s painted .  Look at any new car they all look shiny  and perfect but if you really take a close look at them the body panels are wavy as an ocean and the paint is so orange pealed it’s disrespectful to oranges .  It’s not magic , materials are expensive and quality takes time and concours takes an obscene amount of time and time equals money .  So for lesser money you’re either getting lesser materials or lesser time .
R. Waligora