News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Engine noise (tick / tap) - 500 / 8.2L V8 - 1975 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Started by LandYacht, April 05, 2022, 12:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

Just amazing,

Here are people 4,000 miles away helping a young man ferret out his issues.  This site has also led me though many issues over the past 7 years.  There are many things this old guy doesn't appreciate about the 21st Century.  But this site and the people who frequent here are treasures.

Thanks guys (and a couple of gals)
Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

LandYacht

Absolutely agree with z3skybolt! This is my #1 source for reliable classic Cadillac repair talk. I am very very happy being a part of it and it has saved my behind more than once. It really adds a whole different dimension to my classic car hobby, especially being in Europe and not growing up with classic cars. Thanks everyone!

I also have an update for you guys. In chasing down the ticking / tapping sound, I started to suspect the fuel pump as the sound comes from the front of the driver's side cylinder bank but was most audible from underneath the car.

I fired it up, pinched the fuel line coming from the fuel tank and lo and behold: the ticking disappeared after a few seconds (for as long as I would squeeze). Here's a video I took:

https://youtu.be/WSuf5qgqGj4

Anyone ever experienced something like this? I guess I am going to get a new fuel pump...

Unfortunately, I have reasons to believe the fuel pump may not be the only ticking sound that I am hearing, but it is definitely the loudest one. Either way I am very happy to have a breakthrough in this case!

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille