News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

LaSalle head bolts wanted

Started by Sloriter, October 19, 2023, 09:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sloriter

My 322ci motor is due back from the dip shop short of a set of head bolts.
My LS is a '39 coupe with a 322ci flathead. PM is okay. North American sellers who can answer question about the '47 Dodgers are preferred.

KC Tom

We're you able to find head bolts?

Sloriter

Quote from: KC Tom on November 01, 2023, 10:22:12 PMWe're you able to find head bolts?

Apologize for the delay. I found grade 8, type 316 stainless steel head bolts at Marine Bolt Supply on Amazon.

Tom Beaver

Note that the original bolts are 7/16-14 x 2-3/8 with an 11/16 head they are non-standard and not made any more except by special order.  The closest Standard Grade 8 bolts are 7/16-14 x 2-1/2 with an 5/8 head.  If you use the standard bolts it's probably a good idea to use a flat washer under the bolt head because of the slightly smaller bolt head and the rather generous hole sizes Cadillac used for the heads.  Also, the washer would shim the bolt out some to help limit thread protrusion into the water jacket.  However, you need to be careful what type of flat washer you use.  APR makes special hardened flat washers for head bolts, they have  a chamfer on the upper ID in order to clear the radius where the bolt shank transitions to the bolt head.  They make ones with a 7/16 ID, 3/4 OD and come in three different thicknesses.  They also make special studs (Part No. AJ5.150 -1B) that will fit the Cadillac manifolds, they are slightly longer than the stock studs but are the closest fit I've found so far.