News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

78 DeVille Heater Core

Started by Joel Den Haan, October 01, 2006, 11:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Den Haan

My 78 DeVille with just over 100K KMS on it (Canadian) has developed a leak in the heating system.  Its not pouring steam out onto the windows, just a light mist accompanied by a periodic old antifreeze smell.  Should I replace the heater core completely, or rather flush it through and then add Bars Leaks?  Its not an expensive part, but if another simpler way is available....

Michael Stamps 19507

I vote for replace as I think you will soon find it a lot worse.

Stampie

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Joel,

I am with Stampie.   Using Bars Leak, which however I find is the best Radiator Stop Leak product on the market, will fix the problem foe a short time.

But, if you are experiencing what you describe, which is a failure of either the Heater Core, or the Heater Tap, then when it does go in a big way, which it will, it will make a mess.

Once a leak starts in an Heater Core, then the rest of it will be very suspect as these cores dont take the pounding that a normal Radiator has to endure, and I think they are made out of thinner material, just because of that reason.

I vote to replace it, but get yourself a Workshop Masnual to guide you through it.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Joel Den Haan

Replying on 78 DeVille Heater Core-
Thats about what I figured- its actually been doing this for a while, and Ive replaced the hot water valve already.  Thanks for your advice.

Jeff Traikoff

Leaking heater cores are just bad news.  When you replace it make sure you clean up the area around where it has leaked, it literally causes a rotten mess.